Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Want to keep Stock exhaust but want it slightly louder.. What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 10:49 PM
gocubs08
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want to keep Stock exhaust but want it slightly louder.. What to do??

I just picked up a 08 350, and love the car but omg it is so quiet!My friend has a stock G37 and it sounds MUCH nicer than my 350..

I use it for work and take clients around in it, so I dont want any aftermarket exhaust... But I just want it to sound deeper..

Any suggestions?? I was reading about the mid-pipe.. what would that do on a stock system?
Old 06-09-09, 10:52 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i hope you're not trying to make your 2is sound like a g37. it simply won't happen.

most you can do is delete the resonators for a deeper sound if you want to keep the stock exhaust system.
Old 06-09-09, 10:54 PM
ankurman20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete the resonators... or ask radicalrev!! i know he has something special tucked under there
Old 06-09-09, 11:38 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

damn another thread like this..lol

you should do a search and find out what people have said to people who wanted to make their IS sound like G35/350Z/G37
there is NOTHING you can do about it. it's different engine, different set up, so forget about how G35 sounds like

anyways,
if you wanna make your car sound little louder, go with Tanabe
Old 06-10-09, 12:49 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ good suggestion, but there's just one problem: he wants to keep his exhaust system STOCK.
Old 06-10-09, 02:46 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

No cats ftw
Old 06-10-09, 04:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
^ good suggestion, but there's just one problem: he wants to keep his exhaust system STOCK.
If he changes it at all, including adding or removing parts, it's not stock.

+1 for tanabe- you clients won't notice unless you're romping on the gas pedal.
Old 06-10-09, 07:34 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

I want the stock appearance. Thats why I was asking if there was anything I could do at an exhaust shop like a mid-pipe or something like that
Old 06-10-09, 08:48 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

OR just get a Lexus HKS exhaust. It sounds almost like G37, probably the only one that sounds like it.
Old 06-10-09, 10:01 AM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was gonna say the same thing, I had the same problem as I wanted to keep it fairly quiet driving clients and family around and thats why I initally went with the Lexus HKS exhaust. Quiet around town but when you really get on it, it sounds nice.

Originally Posted by dojoman
OR just get a Lexus HKS exhaust. It sounds almost like G37, probably the only one that sounds like it.
Old 06-10-09, 11:12 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
+1 for tanabe- you clients won't notice unless you're romping on the gas pedal.
Completely untrue. I'm actually suprised you would state this given your knowledge and owning the Tanabe. I too own it and you DEFINETLY hear it when NOT romping on the gas. Especially low rpm's... thats when it at it's loudest. The only time I can say the Tanabe is quiet is about 3.5K to 4K rpm, where the intake takes over. THATS when you don't hear the Tanabe... everything under you get a deep, bassy exhaust note. Especially under load/up hill.

Its not as loud as say an F-Sport or HKS, but stating his clients won't notice it is completey untrue.
Old 06-10-09, 11:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Completely untrue. I'm actually suprised you would state this given your knowledge and owning the Tanabe. I too own it and you DEFINETLY hear it when NOT romping on the gas. Especially low rpm's... thats when it at it's loudest. The only time I can say the Tanabe is quiet is about 3.5K to 4K rpm, where the intake takes over. THATS when you don't hear the Tanabe... everything under you get a deep, bassy exhaust note. Especially under load/up hill.

Its not as loud as say an F-Sport or HKS, but stating his clients won't notice it is completey untrue.

From what planet do you hail that your yellow sun gives you such hearing?

I suppose I might be a bit less sensitive to very slight exhaust changes since I'm used to owning cars with exhausts that actually make _real_ noise (V8s, supras, etc) but I'm up to 8 people now I've had in the car who haven't noticed any change since I put the Tanabe on untill I got aggressive with the gas.

My wife did even notice I'd installed it until a week later when she was riding with me and I punched it to pass somebody.

it'd -dead- silent at idle or just cruising around... not any noticeable change at all from stock.

If it -had- been significantly louder most of the time I'd have removed it and sold it. This is, by far, the quietest car I've owned, and I quite like that about it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-10-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 11:57 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

^ I agree with you that it silent at idle. I also agree its almost silent when cruising at a consistant speed (think cruise control at 55mph). But when excelerating from a stop, you can definetly tell its there and its quite louder then stock IMO. Stock is absolutley silent.

I guess it all has to do w/ your point of reference. Being in loud cars that you described, sure, I can see the Tanabe being quite. But clients, all of wich probably drive completely stock cars (as most people do)... they will be able to hear that deep, bassy rumble under them... no doubt.

I just got my Tanabe about 3K miles ago. In my research on which exhaust to get, I saw a lot of people state the Tanabe is quite (as your saying). But I also read a lot of people saying its actually loud and drones.

Like I said, I guess it's all from your point of reference.
Old 06-10-09, 01:14 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deletting the resonators will barely make a difference. get an intake. then delete the resonators if youre nto happy
Old 06-10-09, 02:04 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

kurtz . . . the tanabe is annoying at low revs man (especially at cruising speed 2-2.5k rpm ish). it gets quieter when the revz go higher just like mdgrwl said.

it is quiet at idle, but if u start driving clients around, they gonna notice right away.

as for making the stock exhaust louder, just delete the secondary cats and/or resonator lol

I don't see the point of modifying the stock exhaust tho. that's something I'd hang up in my garage after I get another exhaust.

Quick Reply: Want to keep Stock exhaust but want it slightly louder.. What to do??