Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged GS400 tuning/ performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 12:57 PM
LALEX1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ..............

Can you please post a pic of the new pulley tensioner setup. Or the old one actually. I"m just trying to figure out which pulley/tensioner you are talking about. I'm looking for a a tensioner for my sc kit too but I think it is a different one.
Thanks
Old 07-17-09, 01:25 PM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the rmm kit? what I'm talking about would go between the two pulleys that you can see in the below pic (pardon the silly engine cover, I haven't taken a new pic). it would require a smaller pulley on the sc 2.6" or whatever and a smaller Idler or whatever the name is of the one directly to the right of the sc pulley. Ideally you would want the new static tensioneer pulley and the one below and in between the two shown to be as close together as possble, this would cause the belt to contact the sc pulley more. As you can see in the pic, a little less than half the pulley is making contact with the belt, adding another tensioner/ idler pulley would give you 70-80% contact, this would eliminate slipping allowing one to have the full potebtial of the supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged GS400 tuning/ performance questions-gs400-engine-shot.jpg  

Last edited by gs400 civi; 07-17-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 02:15 PM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

hey I was just talking w/ a friend/ coworker about A/F ratios and the SAFC etc. wht I'm wondering is, right now I know I'm running way rich, most likely because of the 550cc injectors whoever put in for whatever reason, and the SAFC doesn't have enough range to lean it out enough. I know I can go full stand alone and control everything including the vvti and timing etc. but is there something in between? something that will at least control the a/f stuff so I can have optimal ratios at WOT? maybe include some other functionality like timing control or even vvti?
Old 07-17-09, 04:09 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schase
post sum pics
This past month, I've been extremely busy getting the car back together for a show this Sunday plus 2 more events next week. Three shows in 6 days and I'm still finishing up on the mods, plus I'll slip in mods in between the two weekends.

I wanted to chime in to this thread, but it's just too hard right now. After this post, I'm essentially offline until Monday.

Here's the car and "some" of the updates as of today. I'll probably post a separate thread with details after the last show is over next week.

Just a teaser for now.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-17-09 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 01:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
This past month, I've been extremely busy getting the car back together for a show this Sunday plus 2 more events next week. Three shows in 6 days and I'm still finishing up on the mods, plus I'll slip in mods in between the two weekends.

I wanted to chime in to this thread, but it's just too hard right now. After this post, I'm essentially offline until Monday.

Here's the car and "some" of the updates as of today. I'll probably post a separate thread with details after the last show is over next week.

Just a teaser for now.

wow....very nice glen.

how u like that new intercooler setup?

Last edited by sakataj; 07-18-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-18-09, 03:25 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a teaser for now.

What are the lines on the Intercooler for?
Old 07-18-09, 03:26 PM
trbopooh
Lead Lap

Just a teaser for now.

Wow! Very nice!
Old 07-18-09, 03:28 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gs400 civi
hey I was just talking w/ a friend/ coworker about A/F ratios and the SAFC etc. wht I'm wondering is, right now I know I'm running way rich, most likely because of the 550cc injectors whoever put in for whatever reason, and the SAFC doesn't have enough range to lean it out enough. I know I can go full stand alone and control everything including the vvti and timing etc. but is there something in between? something that will at least control the a/f stuff so I can have optimal ratios at WOT? maybe include some other functionality like timing control or even vvti?
You have a couple of options

1. change out the injectors to something smaller that the SAFC can control, I have a set of 440's I think laying around if you are interested

2. Go standalone but again you will be a guinea pig, no one to my knowledge has a standalone working in a 98+ GS400 and let me qualify that. There are folks that have managed to get something installed but they have lost many of the creature comforts of the GS like Dashboard, electircial controls, heat AC etc. All of that is controlled by the Lexus computer.
Now I have been out of touch for a while so maybe someone has been able to get it working with a standalone, if so I would love to hear about it.
Old 07-18-09, 04:24 PM
gs400 civi
Lead Lap

I'll take your 440's, how much, they should be within the range of the SAFC, I like your intercooler setup, i want to do something similar but change the cooler to one with both connections on the same side plus your air filter setup, how big was the hole you had to cut?

Last edited by gs400 civi; 07-20-09 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-19-09, 05:44 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i am jealous glen hah..

i really want to relocate my filter to somewhere that isnt so darn hot =/
Old 07-21-09, 03:23 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey thanks gill, I'll look through that thread/ try to get the info, although, JPI hasn't been too interested so far since they did this stuff so long ago. On another note I've ordered both my tc and headers. The shop I'm having install them is wondering about the header bolts and if they are the same size (direct bolt on headers) this is what I told him but he wants to be sure, he doesn't want to deal with header bolts breaking etc. and then having to remove the head etc.
A word about your headers I would order a new header to cats gasket and a header gasket. some have reused the cat crushable ring gasket if it looked ok. S&S sends you a paper header gasket don't use them $30-35 for header gasket and $20 for 2 cat gasket is cheap insurance for all the labor & hassle s to get the headers in. Just my $.02
Old 07-21-09, 05:30 PM
LEXTEK444
Rookie

Hey GS400civi is your car converted to a return fuel system or is it still the factory returnless? I have a return line setup on mine and the SAFC did not like mid range on my car. Also I have a NEO and before my engine suffered catastrophic failure we decided to use a GM 2 BAR map sensor to control air flow numbers using 1 bar for vaccum and 1 bar for boost. I don't know if this would work for a supercharged car but with my turbo car it made the SAFC more linear and there were no dead spots in the reading to the afc. Let me know about the injectors PM'ed you again.
Thanks,
Allen

P.S. The liines in RMMGS4's intercooler look to be a N2o cooler for the charge air to the intercooler. maybe co2?? Beautiful setup by the way!!!
Old 07-21-09, 07:09 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by LEXTEK444

P.S. The liines in RMMGS4's intercooler look to be a N2o cooler for the charge air to the intercooler. maybe co2?? Beautiful setup by the way!!!
Originally Posted by vwynn
i am jealous glen hah..

i really want to relocate my filter to somewhere that isnt so darn hot =/
I like your intercooler setup, i want to do something similar but change the cooler to one with both connections on the same side plus your air filter setup, how big was the hole you had to cut?
Originally Posted by trbopooh
Wow! Very nice!
Originally Posted by morris
What are the lines on the Intercooler for?
Originally Posted by sakataj
wow....very nice glen.
how u like that new intercooler setup?
Thanks Guys. Too bad when the front bumper is on you see almost none of it.

Yes the lines are for my CryO2 from DEI. The S-Max intercooler also has internal tubes to internally freeze the air in addition to the external spray bar, plus I have a fuel block passing CO2 right before the fuel rails to chill the gas. Still working out the bugs before I can guage the performance improvement.

As for the Intake, it's double the size of the original filter, plus of course it's all cold air utilizing the right side intake duct from my air dam. No holes were cut. Since I re-routed my IC piping I used the old IC pipe location to run the intake hose.

I had less than 2 hours sleep before the show this past Sunday, plus I fried in the hot sun. I need to get ready for my Company car show this Friday, followed by HIN on Saturday.

Once it's all over, I'll try to post a new thread with more pics and details, some time next week.

Catch you guys later.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-21-09 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 07:16 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
A word about your headers I would order a new header to cats gasket and a header gasket. some have reused the cat crushable ring gasket if it looked ok. S&S sends you a paper header gasket don't use them $30-35 for header gasket and $20 for 2 cat gasket is cheap insurance for all the labor & hassle s to get the headers in. Just my $.02
Another word on the headers. There is a long history of these headers cracking and I personally know of one member who has the "Improved" version of the headers and they cracked again recently.

I have the first gen headers on my car going on 3 years and mine have never cracked. I believe the reason why is because I had a bead welded around the perimeter of each tube at the flange. S & S only welds from the inside of the flange. I suggest you spend the 20 or so bucks to do what I did.

It's MORE cheap insurance !!

Last edited by RMMGS4; 07-21-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 07:35 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
2. Go standalone but again you will be a guinea pig, no one to my knowledge has a standalone working in a 98+ GS400 and let me qualify that. There are folks that have managed to get something installed but they have lost many of the creature comforts of the GS like Dashboard, electircial controls, heat AC etc. All of that is controlled by the Lexus computer.
I can get the car to run on a AEM EMS standalone and retain all the luxury features. AC, dash, gauges, heat, ABS, airbags, cruise control, etc. Only thing that doesn't work is the traction control because you bypass certain functions of the ecu when going standalone. Then again, when you're going for real power you usually turn off the traction control anyway lol. That's what I do on my own car with the AEM EMS standalone and all the factory features still work.

Quick Reply: Supercharged GS400 tuning/ performance questions