Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTENTION all IS250 6spd owners!!! (Fidanza flywheel thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09 | 10:13 AM
chuckler
Driver

i'm a bit concerned...if they're really are performance gains i'd like to see it first
Old 07-06-09 | 10:21 AM
AssaulTECH
Driver

Just checking in guys, it looks like we only need 2 more people to go in on this, so call your friends and ask around!
Old 07-06-09 | 05:39 PM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kickin8
We got a bunch of 6MT owners...but a lot of them are concerned about the warranty issue.....
i really don't understand that cause they shouldn't be able to do anything to your warranty unless they can prove that the flywheel and your tampering is what caused whatever problem you're in there for. and for the record, there shouldn't be any problem anyway. we're talking about fidanza here. they're not some shady company that's gonna make a cheap *** flywheel that's gonna break and cause problems.

Originally Posted by chuckler
i'm a bit concerned...if they're really are performance gains i'd like to see it first
again, we can't show you any performance gains without actually getting it first, but if you know some people in your local car enthusiast scene, ask around and see if they can show you the difference of a lightweight flywheel to a stock one.
Old 07-07-09 | 10:44 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

I have one last question, if we put our name on the list does it mean that I have to shell out the cash and then wait around for six months to a year to get something or nothing, or do we shell out the cash first thing when it it made and get first dibs when they come out?
Old 07-08-09 | 12:30 AM
GSE20MT
Pole Position

i'm pretty sure #2.
Old 07-08-09 | 09:24 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Is the Lexus flywheel and clutch/pressure plate on the stock set up harmonically balanced to the engine?

If so, changing out the flywheel and using the stock clutch/pressure plate can be an issue...
Old 07-08-09 | 10:00 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

I'm clueless to drivetrain internals other than weight reduction is a good thing for speed.

My clutch is on it's last leg at 84,xxx miles. Jar of marbles on startup, not yet slipping but I can feel that I'll only probably get 8-10 months out of it.

Someone please explain if replacing your flywheel when you do the clutch is a recommended thing or just a 'nice to have a lightweight flywheel in there since you are replacing the clutch right there'? The only thing I can relate to my question above is the rational for replacing the water pump while changing out a timing belt because since you are in the area, the labor is the hard part so might as well replace components nearby.

My next clutch will be F-sport unless a competitor is out for the same price or cheaper. My goal is a better feeling clutch and hopefully durability. I'm not really worried about faster as we got a new Evo X to get tuned/modded.

I'll reply if I'm in or out on the Flywheel tomorrow. TIA for reponding about if flywheel needs replaced too, or is it a lightweight performance mod?
Old 07-08-09 | 10:50 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Originally Posted by sailing217
I'm clueless to drivetrain internals other than weight reduction is a good thing for speed.

My clutch is on it's last leg at 84,xxx miles. Jar of marbles on startup, not yet slipping but I can feel that I'll only probably get 8-10 months out of it.

Someone please explain if replacing your flywheel when you do the clutch is a recommended thing or just a 'nice to have a lightweight flywheel in there since you are replacing the clutch right there'? The only thing I can relate to my question above is the rational for replacing the water pump while changing out a timing belt because since you are in the area, the labor is the hard part so might as well replace components nearby.

My next clutch will be F-sport unless a competitor is out for the same price or cheaper. My goal is a better feeling clutch and hopefully durability. I'm not really worried about faster as we got a new Evo X to get tuned/modded.

I'll reply if I'm in or out on the Flywheel tomorrow. TIA for reponding about if flywheel needs replaced too, or is it a lightweight performance mod?

You don’t generally need to replace the flywheel with the clutch, but the flywheel needs to be resurfaced, it’s kind of like turning a brake rotor for new pads. Some "dual mass" flywheels can not be resurfaced for some reason, so the flywheel may need to be replaced. If your car is making that much noise, your flywheel springs are probably busted and its going to need to be replaced anyway.

The F-sport clutch is just a stock clutch with a stiffer pressure plate, $500 for a stock garbage clutch and a slightly stiffer pressure plate is a waste of money in my opinion. The only other company that I know of that makes a clutch disk for this application is Spec, see one of my other posts on this thread, its expensive but they make some very high quality parts.
Old 07-08-09 | 10:51 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Originally Posted by GSE20MT
i'm pretty sure #2.
"pretty sure" is not a very good answer... Anything solid?
Old 07-08-09 | 10:53 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

Originally Posted by sailing217

Oh, if your clutch is not slipping, but its making that much noise, its the flywheel, the clutch is fine...
Old 07-08-09 | 11:22 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Put me down as a buyer.

PM me if anything major develops or the flywheel is ready and you need payment. I check this site about once a month now.

I'll be lurking and buying a clutch too. Neighbor is a mechanic so I'll have him install it instead of getting raped at the dealer.
Old 07-08-09 | 12:14 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

my cars gone damm. good job with gb sucka. u a good man. wish i could enjoy couse its a great deal.
Old 07-08-09 | 12:22 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by demik
my cars gone damm. good job with gb sucka. u a good man. wish i could enjoy couse its a great deal.
awww, your on my hit list now!
Old 07-08-09 | 12:58 PM
suka4thong
Advanced

with sailing217 on the list now we just need 2 more names
1. suka4thong
2. dothedrew (depending on price actually)
3. GSE20MT
4. Robs IS250
5. badx33
6. Calviin
7. ULTiMaX99
8. sailing217
Old 07-08-09 | 01:24 PM
iameric
Driver

I'm down depending on price.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION all IS250 6spd owners!!! (Fidanza flywheel thread)