Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can't get Tranny drain plug out

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 12:12 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

You can get the filters from your local auto parts store. I do these for people all the time and it comes with the filter and rubber oil pan gasket for around $40. Only thing you have to pay attention to is that you must remove all the old silicone prior to putting the rubber gasket or else it won't seal properly.
Jeff, that's expensive for the filter and pan gasket man. For those that change out the filter and fluid change often like you and I, I would get them from Transtar industries since they supply parts for transmission builder. The filter cost $8 from them instead of $27 from the local auto parts store. It comes with the gasket already on there for the filter but I would not use the cork gasket material thing for the transmission pan since they tend to leak. That's why I use the toyota FIPG.
Old 06-30-09, 11:27 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The one I get from the auto parts store uses a rubber gasket on the pan and not a cork gasket. So far I haven't had any issues with the rubber seal, if it was cork I would toss it in the garbage as well. I goto transtar occasionally, but it's about a one hour drive for me so it's a little out of the way. If I need the parts in a pinch, I just pick it up at the local parts store if they stock it. Some of the other guys here on the forum don't have a Transtar or rebuild part supplier nearby, so I was just quoting what they would generally pay.
Old 07-01-09, 12:21 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The one I get from the auto parts store uses a rubber gasket on the pan and not a cork gasket. So far I haven't had any issues with the rubber seal, if it was cork I would toss it in the garbage as well. I goto transtar occasionally, but it's about a one hour drive for me so it's a little out of the way. If I need the parts in a pinch, I just pick it up at the local parts store if they stock it. Some of the other guys here on the forum don't have a Transtar or rebuild part supplier nearby, so I was just quoting what they would generally pay.
I agree with you about the transtar distributor. I didn't think about that since where I live, we have multiple locations and then there's also Daaco Transmission which is a direct competition with Transtar. I'm not sure if you've ever had this issue with the filter but all the ones that I've ever come across uses a cork material gasket between the filter and valve body holes and everytime I remove to replace the filter, I notice that the cork material is totally broken up which I'm afraid might enter into the VB and clog it.