Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: whcih exhaust...?
RMM
20.65%
L-TUNED
21.74%
L-SPORTLINE
8.70%
HKS
17.39%
OTHER - please specify
31.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

EXHAUST decision....any thought??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-02, 09:41 PM
shftup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EXHAUST decision....any thought??

Any thoughts on what kind of exhaust to upgrade to. There are so many choices, RMM, L-sportline, or L-tuned, HKS, and the list goes on and on....

Please share feedback on these, are there any dyno's to compare, or just word of mouth or just personal preference

thanx guys
Old 04-02-02, 01:25 AM
LEXter
Driver School Candidate

i am going with my greddy exhaust.....thisexhaust is only for people who do not have a wife, kids or a gf that complains...
cuz it makes the sweetest roar i heard from any car, the sound is low deep and powerful. I am not sure abt performance but i know it does have a bigger pipe diameter than most exhausts.
Old 04-02-02, 06:01 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You left out couple: Biltz, Remus (quad Tip), TTE (Quad Tip).

Personally, I want the L-Sportline. I was told that L-sportline will be the quietest. A plus for Wife and Kid. TTE is nice too, but might have to cut a bit of rear apron. Remus is famous on the Bimmer. They do make some nice deep tone..
Old 04-02-02, 08:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Also left Borla off your list. They make some claims about HP gains that are overblown - I think this is true for many exhaust companies.

I think I've only heard in person Borla Stainless Steel (SS - they also used to make a carbon fiber variety) and L-tuned exhaust. Borla just a hair quieter.

IMO, there are a number of factors to consider with exhaust (especially cat-back like most GS exhausts):

- performance: not much real evidence here except manufacturers claims IMO. I believe I recall one member (Mean Gene?) did a before/after dyno with exhaust only on a GS4, but that's been a LONG while back

- sound: like Shinchan mentions - family and clients are a factor here.

- looks and tip size: If you're thinking about an aftermarket rear valence at some point, this is a consideration. This is one of the primary reasons I like the Borla - it is sized to fit perfectly in the factory cutouts & is classy.

- under-body fitment: if you are thinking about adding aftermarket suspension goodies like Tom's braces, you might want to consider how the exhaust is routed / size.

- warranty: Exhaust is one of those items that often takes a beating if your car is lowered and is exposed to lots of road salt, chemicals, etc. Depending on where you live, this might be a consideration.

Picture below shows a good comparison between L-tuned and Borla tips (Dex and Bitkahuna's cars).
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST decision....any thought??-borla-vs-ltuned.jpg  
Old 04-02-02, 05:07 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I like the APEX WS system...and it's inexpensive to boot...$460 or so for a FULL DUAL CAT BACK SYSTEM. You can't beat that...

Old 04-02-02, 05:25 PM
gwu128
Driver

does APEX WS system louder than L-tuned exhaust? or how much louder?
Old 04-02-02, 06:11 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Personally I like the L-Tuned exhaust but with the 1st gen tips that Steve ( SupraTRD) was selling ( they are a little bigger than regular L-Tuned tips). BTW anyone know who makes this exhaust?
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST decision....any thought??-000dsc0013576.jpg  
Old 04-02-02, 07:44 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JAC JZS
Personally I like the L-Tuned exhaust but with the 1st gen tips that Steve ( SupraTRD) was selling ( they are a little bigger than regular L-Tuned tips). BTW anyone know who makes this exhaust?
That exhaust in the PIC above looks like the Blitz Nur-Spec.

Speaking of L-Tuned exhaust with the first generation tips, here's mine...
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST decision....any thought??-ken-s-car-050.jpg  
Old 04-02-02, 08:29 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally posted by LXOGOOD

That exhaust in the PIC above looks like the Blitz Nur-Spec.

Speaking of L-Tuned exhaust with the first generation tips, here's mine...
Yeah, those are the tips I am talking about, LXOGOOD. I have a pair of them of them sitting in my house waiting for installation Thanks for the info on the exhaust in the pic
Old 04-02-02, 09:24 PM
kyle3481
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i'd pick Lsportline

i had the Ltuned muffler a while ago, now i have the Lsportline, seriously the Lsportline one is quieter than the Ltuned, Ltuned has an annoying resonnance around 2000 RPM, so the city driving is not very good on my opinion. the Lsporltine , however has the resonnance(also deep tone like the Ltuned ) around 2000RPM but it is noticeably quieter than the Ltuned.. what can u expect..Ltuned is made by HKS . all my passengers like the lsportline better, just my 02cent
Old 04-02-02, 11:08 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The APEX WS is a little louder than the L-Tuned but not by much IMO...also, the advantage of the APEX WS is that you can use the TOM'S Type-A Rear LCB...
Old 04-03-02, 01:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,286 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Maybe this is just something in my **** nature... but one of my pete peeves is when something isn't centered in the correct space.

I notice this often on other cars with aftermarket exhaust, including a couple of the pics above (sorry). I've put a pic of my Borla tips here showing how they are centered... It would drive me nuts if the tips weren't centered in the exhaust cutouts on the rear valance.

Those above aren't as bad as some I've seen because at least they are asymmetrical / match on each side. They'd be much worse if both sides were off to the left, for example.

Does this bother anyone else - maybe it's just me ?
Attached Thumbnails EXHAUST decision....any thought??-borla-centered.jpg  
Old 04-03-02, 07:33 PM
JYOO

Whatever u get dont get REMUS. Overpriced and noisy. I put a 500 dollar single muffler on my C280 and that thing was noisy when the rpms were low. Only if they made a Tanabe G-Power for GS' , now thats one sweet exhaust system.
Old 04-04-02, 12:17 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Default Re: i'd pick Lsportline

Originally posted by kyle3481
i had the Ltuned muffler a while ago, now i have the Lsportline, seriously the Lsportline one is quieter than the Ltuned, Ltuned has an annoying resonnance around 2000 RPM, so the city driving is not very good on my opinion. the Lsporltine , however has the resonnance(also deep tone like the Ltuned ) around 2000RPM but it is noticeably quieter than the Ltuned.. what can u expect..Ltuned is made by HKS . all my passengers like the lsportline better, just my 02cent
I like the L-sportline that's why I have them, but remember if you get the L-sportline exhaust, it does stick out from the rear bumper a few inches, unless you get the L-sportline rear apron, then it fits perfect.
Old 04-04-02, 09:20 AM
dipstick
Pole Position

Does anyone have a picture of the L-Sportline exhaust? How far does it stick out beyond the stock bumper/apron? Also, where can it be bought?

Last edited by dipstick; 04-04-02 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: EXHAUST decision....any thought??