Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Intake - Got it - Here's my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 01:24 PM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I completely understand what you guys (and maybe some gals) are saying about the price, ease of installation, and warranty. I'm referring to the "car's" warranty. In other words, I don't want to take it into the dealer for some other problem with the car and give the dealer any excuses to not cover the car. It's not worth messing around with the possible future hassles for a few hundred bucks - well...not on a $40K car. It just isn't worth it.

That said, YES, it's a lot of money to pay for a tube, a box, and one hour of labor. Oh well.
Old 07-02-09, 01:25 PM
09ISboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much mileage do ppl recommend before installing an intake? my car has around 800 miles now. and i ordered it from sewelll cant wait!
Old 07-02-09, 01:44 PM
is350wh
Driver

Thank you to all of you who referred me to Sewell. I wasn't aware that the prices were so much lower. For the intake, it was only $65 cheaper - not a big deal (yes, it's still $65, so lesson learned). For the other parts that I'm considering, it will be more significant.

Will Sewell ship to my local Lexus dealer? Yes, the one that charges so much per hour. Yes, I'll pay the high labor price (again) to ensure the car's bumper-to-bumper warranty remains intact.

BTW - The dealer had to replace my steering rack under warranty yesterday. Well over $2,000 for parts and labor. $0 for me. You can see why I'm concerned about the warranty. (The car is only 2 months old.)
Old 07-02-09, 01:49 PM
is350wh
Driver

09ISboy: I'm sure someone on here will know if there is a requirement. I would say that you wouldn't want the intake until you are ready to run the engine at higher RPMs. Having the intake will make it too hard to resist revving the engine before it's broken in. I don't remember the engine's "break in" period right now, but I think it is some odd number like 675 miles, so you're probably good to go, from that perspective.

Of course, I don't know if a break in period is really required. The manual says it is.
Old 07-02-09, 02:14 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

in order to void your warranty....they have to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause
Old 07-02-09, 03:11 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh

Will Sewell ship to my local Lexus dealer? Yes, the one that charges so much per hour. Yes, I'll pay the high labor price (again) to ensure the car's bumper-to-bumper warranty remains intact.

BTW - The dealer had to replace my steering rack under warranty yesterday. Well over $2,000 for parts and labor. $0 for me. You can see why I'm concerned about the warranty. (The car is only 2 months old.)

FYI the ONLY difference between installing an F-sport part and paying the dealer insane $ per hour to do it is that the warranty ON THE F-SPORT PART gets extended to match the length of your cars warranty, rather than only being 1 year (and of course the actual labor of the install is warrantied, but that'd be true anywhere)

On top of that, it's a violation of federal law to deny warranty coverage on a new car because an aftermarket part is installed, unless that part is the -cause- of the problem.

Even if it is the cause they only get to deny coverage of that issue, not on anything else.

Neither intake nor exhaust would've had any impact whatsoever on your steering issue, even if you weren't using Lexus parts (which you are).
Old 07-02-09, 07:16 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Good write up. Congrats on the purchase. F-Sport intake is a great little mod.
Old 07-02-09, 07:23 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Give him a break.. he's new..
Old 07-02-09, 07:34 PM
IStrip50
Rookie

congrats on the purchase and install of your intake. Thank you for the info!
Old 07-02-09, 07:38 PM
chums
Lead Lap

grats on the intake, glad to hear it was a worthy purchase in your book
Old 07-02-09, 11:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
in order to void your warranty....they have to prove that the aftermarket part is the cause
There is a wide spread myth in the tuning community that any mod can void the warranty. The fact is that the dealer has to show that the part was directly the cause of damage to the car
Old 07-03-09, 07:49 AM
is350wh
Driver

Kurtz: Can you post a link to the federal law for me? I would love to look at some of the non-Lexus, non-F-Sport aftermarket upgrades. E.g., The F-Sport exhaust sounds very good, but I like some of the others I've heard better. Thanks.
Old 07-03-09, 08:25 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Holy mother of pearl! $500+ dollars for ~3-4rwhp. Ugh.

Should've gone with the Joe-Z tube for $125, let 'em hang and installed it yourself. Same thing.
Old 07-03-09, 08:50 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow $5 bills!
I got JoeZ intake for just a hair over $1 bill and I'm loving it every time I drive it. But glad to know that you like it!
Old 07-03-09, 09:28 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh
Kurtz: Can you post a link to the federal law for me? I would love to look at some of the non-Lexus, non-F-Sport aftermarket upgrades. E.g., The F-Sport exhaust sounds very good, but I like some of the others I've heard better. Thanks.
The law is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. § 2301

A good overview of how this applies to aftermarket car parts is here:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

the most relevant bits from there are:

such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service.
and
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Intake - Got it - Here's my opinion