Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Intake - Got it - Here's my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 08:17 AM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Intake - Got it - Here's my opinion

The dealer installed the F-Sport Intake yesterday.

It gives off a nice deep roar starting around 3,500 RPMs. The roar seems to trail off as it approaches the redline. I'd like to hear it get more extreme as the RPMs climb. Oh well.

If you drive the car at lower RPMs, there is really zero noticeable difference between the F-Sport intake and the stock intake. You can't hear it at all. If you want to hear the engine, you'll probably need to get an aftermarket exhaust. (BTW - I have the stock exhaust.)

The roar is much more sustainable when you punch it while "driving," as opposed to revving it while in park. If you rev it up while in park, you will hear a nice roar, but it only lasts for a second. In other words, you can't keep the RPMs high and expect the intake to continue making its extreme sound. Basically, the best sound comes when that first rush of air initially blasts through the intake; then you can't hear it as much. This is probably obvious to some, but it wasn't what I expecting.

Sound quality. I think I need some time to really get used to it. The note is not as beautiful as I was expecting. It does sound very good. It sounds like it actually has 300+ horses now, but it could probably sound better. But, if you need to be sure you maintain your warranty, this may be your only Lexus-authorized option.

Should you get it? Well, if you're on this forum, you're probably obsessed enough with cars, horsepower, etc to appreciate it.

Would I do it again? Yep. There's really no reason (other than money) not to get it. If get it and don't like the sound, just drive "normally" and you won't even know it's there.
Old 07-02-09, 08:20 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, how much did you pay them to install it? the intake is easy to install. If Ken can do it, you can do it.

Also, get the Fsport exhaust, it adds a roar from 2-3.5k RPM
Old 07-02-09, 08:46 AM
is350wh
Driver

The intake itself was $455 plus tax. The labor was $95, plus tax. I am positive I could have done the work myself, but for ~$100, it was worth just paying someone else to do it - not to mention the potential warranty issue.

I would love to get the F-Sport exhaust; it is just so expensive. I am thinking about lowering the car (springs and shocks) first. The parts and labor for that change is less than the F-Sport exhaust parts.
Old 07-02-09, 09:01 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

You should have gotten it at Sewell. They have it at $265 + shipping.
Old 07-02-09, 09:12 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Damn you paid $95 for installation?! That's why I do it myself dude. F warranty haha mines when out the window a longggg time ago

I wish my car had a loud rumble, all she does is whistle
Old 07-02-09, 09:42 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh
The intake itself was $455 plus tax. The labor was $95, plus tax. I am positive I could have done the work myself, but for ~$100, it was worth just paying someone else to do it - not to mention the potential warranty issue.

I would love to get the F-Sport exhaust; it is just so expensive. I am thinking about lowering the car (springs and shocks) first. The parts and labor for that change is less than the F-Sport exhaust parts.

What warranty issue? It's a tube and a box, no moving parts. What exactly would you think might go bad?

You paid $455 plus tax then $95 plus tax, so $550 plus tax.

If you'd ordered from Sewell and done it yourself you'd have paid $265 with no tax for the exact same thing.

For the exhaust I'd recommend getting a used tanabe from somebody trading in for something louder... 400-500 bucks, can do it yourself in 30 minutes, and it adds exactly the same power gains as the F-sport exhaust.
Old 07-02-09, 10:10 AM
jns350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...$550.00....baller!!!! You should of done more research on this forum before buying that intake from your dealer. CL can save you big money. Sewell is having a entire F-sport sale that local dealers can't even touch with a yard stick. But was done is done and glad you enjoy your new toy. BTW check their link for the exhaust. You might be able to afford it. Your local dealer might have priced it at the "old rate" sewell is selling it at a great price.
Old 07-02-09, 10:50 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

wow! $95 to install the intake?

WOW! $495 for the intake????????????
Old 07-02-09, 10:53 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just like everyone else, I am shocked at the dealer price for the intake. If I had to pay that much, I would make sure that I took every single free doughnut/soda/water/candy & fruit that they offer in their waiting room.

And the coffee machine, too.
Old 07-02-09, 11:54 AM
Namster
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
Just like everyone else, I am shocked at the dealer price for the intake. If I had to pay that much, I would make sure that I took every single free doughnut/soda/water/candy & fruit that they offer in their waiting room.

And the coffee machine, too.
Haha good one, but it still won't add up to $550. I would take the 42" flat screen tv in the waiting area instead
Old 07-02-09, 11:58 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kickin8
wow! $95 to install the intake?

WOW! $495 for the intake????????????
now now... ovbously he's new to the forum, why's everyone jumping down this guy's throat. I know a lot of people that simply pay the cash and have the whole car 'Lexus' if you will... that is all work/parts/labor all done by Lexus. Nothing wrong with it at all... cost more, but nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-02-09, 11:59 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is350wh
The dealer installed the F-Sport Intake yesterday.

It gives off a nice deep roar starting around 3,500 RPMs. The roar seems to trail off as it approaches the redline. I'd like to hear it get more extreme as the RPMs climb. Oh well.

If you drive the car at lower RPMs, there is really zero noticeable difference between the F-Sport intake and the stock intake. You can't hear it at all. If you want to hear the engine, you'll probably need to get an aftermarket exhaust. (BTW - I have the stock exhaust.)

The roar is much more sustainable when you punch it while "driving," as opposed to revving it while in park. If you rev it up while in park, you will hear a nice roar, but it only lasts for a second. In other words, you can't keep the RPMs high and expect the intake to continue making its extreme sound. Basically, the best sound comes when that first rush of air initially blasts through the intake; then you can't hear it as much. This is probably obvious to some, but it wasn't what I expecting.

Sound quality. I think I need some time to really get used to it. The note is not as beautiful as I was expecting. It does sound very good. It sounds like it actually has 300+ horses now, but it could probably sound better. But, if you need to be sure you maintain your warranty, this may be your only Lexus-authorized option.

Should you get it? Well, if you're on this forum, you're probably obsessed enough with cars, horsepower, etc to appreciate it.

Would I do it again? Yep. There's really no reason (other than money) not to get it. If get it and don't like the sound, just drive "normally" and you won't even know it's there.
Good, enjoy my friend! The F-Sport intake sounds wonderful.
Old 07-02-09, 12:03 PM
quintmann
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow someone got ripped a new one!!! 500 for an intake and 95 for installation is ridiculous!!
Old 07-02-09, 12:12 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have installed it yourself and just kept the stock parts to cover it up later down the road if you have warranty issues.

Whats done is done though, as long as you're happy with your purchase everything is okay!
Old 07-02-09, 12:52 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the report on the intake setup, always best to hear from actual users.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Intake - Got it - Here's my opinion