Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Drone - How many RPMs with F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-09, 04:22 PM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I bought the F-Sport exhaust today. Also bought the sway bars.
Old 07-08-09, 05:38 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoy it! I love how mine sounds.
Old 07-08-09, 05:41 PM
kloh7
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

t's all perspective. At first, I was thinking to myself like "Oh dang, this thing is loud" but I've gotten used it and love it. Although I don't use the car often as I have a daily beater so if you do use it everyday, your opinion of the exhaust might change.

Originally Posted by BorIS350
It's either bearable or unbearable but if it's just a low humm then I can make due. Hope it's nothing like my 93 Accord with dual fart cans lol, it's annoying like a fly buzzin around your food.
Old 07-09-09, 11:49 AM
is350wh
Driver

My predictions.

>Post-install, I'm going to love the sound at start up (endorphins, goose bumps, and all that).
>The first drive will produce two strong emotional responses: Oh my goodness, what did I do??? - and - Man, that sounds sooo good.
>My wife is going to hear it and think I just ruined a $40K car. "You're 35 and your once-luxury-car now sounds like some kid's racer." Of course, I'll explain that it can be taken off easily if it becomes an annoyance. And, of course, I'll try to convince her that the car now sounds like a more expensive car (Ferrari?).

To be continued
Old 07-19-09, 10:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the tanabe medallion system and the droning can et annoying because I live in the hills and go up inclines that can run sometimes up to 7 miles. So You get this annoying droning. I keep thinking about taking it off , but I know I will want to reinstall it as soon as its off
Old 07-20-09, 11:13 AM
is350wh
Driver

I8ABMR: Exactly my experience so far. The F-Sport definitely drones on hills when I'm not pushing hard. It is possible to keep it quiet (quieter), but it is a lot of work.

It's love-hate. I thought about going back to stock a few times, but I know I'll miss it, too.
Old 07-20-09, 11:49 AM
edwin907
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The beauty of the HKS Hi Power exhaust is the silencer inserts.
It takes 2 1/2 minutes to bolt them in, even with the exhaust hot. Although, I admit, I only install them for longish trips with the girlfriend and/or grandkids.

Finding some inserts that would fit would solve the droning problem, but are the exhaust tips double wall construction?
Old 07-20-09, 12:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Some good real-life reviews on aftermarket exhaust livability.

My preference is to leave exhaust stock and look at some better tips.
Old 07-20-09, 02:34 PM
redis350f
Driver School Candidate

I have the F sport muffs on my is350. I LOVE'EM!

However, not everyone ( most women ) like the extra noise. YES the Police notice them, but is that not why you would think about installing them? To be noticed. They DO NOT sound anything like an Infinity at all!

I just love spanking the G-35's in my four-door Lexus!!! It upsets them that a sedan has just smoked them off the line!
Old 07-20-09, 08:20 PM
is350wh
Driver

redis350f: Very true. The F-Sport would actually overwhelm the sound that the G35 puts out.

I'm liking the F-Sport Exhaust more and more.
Old 07-21-09, 07:37 AM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by is350wh
Thanks. I don't redline it. I just get close sometimes. Although a friend of mine did redline it for several seconds before it even had 200 miles on it. He put it in S mode and didn't shift properly. Oh well. It was my fault for letting him drive it that soon and for not prohibiting him from using S mode.

I'm not really concerned about the legality of the exhaust. I'm really just imaging every traffic cop on the beat pulling out their radar detectors as soon as they here my exhaust coming up the road. I'm not into "speeding," but I admit that I may stray over the posted limit from time to time.
You drive an auto lol, why are you worried about shifting? It won't make you any faster If you had the IS-F I would understand why you would want to shift.

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
This exhaust doesn't drone at ANY speeds. If it does it's because you're going too fast. It isn't loud either no matter how hard you punch it. It's just got a nice low buzz to it. You'll LOVE it.
This isn't the horrific HKS aftermarket exhaust that you can hear from 10 blocks away, therefore it will not drone...pick up a civic with a 4" exhaust tip and we will talk about drone!!
Originally Posted by mikez
If its bare-able then its not drone lol. I would compare droning to someone cutting their grass outside at 6 in the morning when you are sleepy as ****.
It isn't drone, it is a purr, it is probably louder to you in the car than it really is. Just enjoy it!!

I'm running F-Sport intake/Megan Midpipe/Tanabe Exhaust and I loveeee the purr
Old 07-21-09, 08:59 AM
is350wh
Driver

A lion's purr, but not a kitten's.

It's bothering me less now. I must have fried that part of my hearing since I got it. I guess I'll have to turn up volume when listening to Barry White now.
Old 07-21-09, 10:25 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

Hey. one time I gunned my car full rev when stop light turned green. On my right side, there was cop on the intersection. Either he was nice, or didn't notice.... I learned my lesson without being pulled over. Got tremendously scared when I realized there was a cop next to me

Well for the sound decibels and etc, I think its proven somewhere in the F-sport website that obeys state law for its loudness and its low emissioness? I might be totally wrong though
Old 07-24-09, 12:18 PM
uaaction
Lead Lap

can anyone post a video of a fsport exhaust like idle but when the car warms up how would you compare it to BMW 335i stock exhaust and G35 ty
Old 08-13-09, 11:45 PM
bean804
Driver School Candidate

I have the FSport Intake and Exhaust. You can really control the noise if you can keep the car out of VVTI. The Exhaust has a distinct sound and cannot be mistaken as a Fart can. You will get unwanted attention if you gun the car or heavy on the acceleration.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone - How many RPMs with F-Sport