Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does anyone have the F-Sport clutch installed in there car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-09, 10:15 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have the F-Sport clutch installed in there car?

I need to fix my clutch problem ASAP I cant take it anymore the stock clutch and flywheel sucks and my car only has 11,000 miles on it. I plan on taking it in to see if they will replace it and if they do tell them instead of putting another stock one put the F-Sport one in instead and just pay the difference in price this way its free labor on the clutch . But my only problem is it worth it does anyone have it in there car??? I just installed the F-Sport quik shifter and it sucks I cant shift hard into 2nd or 4th anymore or it grinds gears everytime no matter what I do which is really making me mad the old IS300 shift fine and clutch and flywheel were fine to so what gives?? I know my car has a tacoma truck tranny it but come on it shouldnt be this bad at all. So If you guys could give me feedback on the clutch i would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 07-09-09, 11:08 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

The F-sport clutch is the same stock clutch that is in your car now, its just comes with a stronger pressure plate.
Old 07-09-09, 12:45 PM
rscott22
Pole Position

Ok but does it help it all from bucking every time you try to start off in first gear that is my biggest pet peeve with the car it drives me nuts!!!
Old 07-09-09, 07:55 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rscott22
Ok but does it help it all from bucking every time you try to start off in first gear that is my biggest pet peeve with the car it drives me nuts!!!
Bucking? Learn to drive.
Old 07-09-09, 08:03 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Bucking? Learn to drive.
That's not very helpful...

I have a 350 so i can't help you. The reason i post is to fix your Signature . It's SGM not SMG...
Old 07-10-09, 01:43 AM
Sgt_K
Driver

If its "bucking" then the clutch is doing its job and grabbing the flywheel when you let out the clutch pedal, let it out smoother and it wont "buck". If you put the F-sport set up in its most likely going to grab quicker with the stronger pressure plate, if you don't change your driving habits and the same affect is going to happen, it will probably be even more obvious.
Old 07-10-09, 10:17 AM
four o two
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2slow
That's not very helpful...

I have a 350 so i can't help you. The reason i post is to fix your Signature . It's SGM not SMG...
Haha, and this post is?

Anyways, @OP - dude, work on your transition from clutch to gas. "Bucking" means you're letting out of the clutch too fast without giving gas to get the thing rolling. Haven't personally driven an IS with a manual, but my Supra is a 6MT.

Do this. Get out on some flat tarmac and let the clutch out very slowly. Keep going until you feel the clutch start engaging. You should be able to get the car rolling without even giving it gas if you are smooth with the pedal and don't let it out too fast. It's hard to explain without just getting some seat time with you, but work on that transition. When the clutch starts to engage, just barely get into the gas.

You don't want too much on one end where you're all clutch too fast with no gas (bucking) or too much gas and not a lot of clutch (bad smells). Just keep working on your timing. Most people, when they realize the clutch alone will get the car rolling, kinda figure out the rhythm after that.
Old 07-13-09, 06:56 AM
rscott22
Pole Position

Hey guys sorry I havent posted in a while and it bucks weather I give it more gas or less each time it does. Now everyonce in a great while it wont but its rare my first car was a stick and I never had this problem ever on my 97 celica and my toy car 94 supra tt 6 speed never does it either... so im pretty sure its the crappy clutch not my style of driving. Has anyone that posted have the IS250 in 6MT???? Cause I need to knwo if anyone else has this problem to. if not then maybe i just have a bad clutch becuase it never seems to want to fully catch and its getting really old fast.

Thanks for all your help and opions so far though guys!
Old 07-13-09, 03:21 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

I have a MT, and if I let out the clutch to quick, it will grab very hard and "buck"
Old 07-14-09, 10:38 PM
brtnrdr1x
Pole Position

not really sure wut ur describing..the clutch is very different from other MT's but i got used to it, it's hydrolic..i had the f-sport quick shift installed n to be honest it feels so much different, in a good way, feels like a real solid knotchy shift, n i lost a lottaa those weird noises it makes and those weird 1st/2nd gear marbles LOL..damn thing.
Old 07-20-09, 08:48 AM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by brtnrdr1x
not really sure wut ur describing..the clutch is very different from other MT's but i got used to it, it's hydrolic..i had the f-sport quick shift installed n to be honest it feels so much different, in a good way, feels like a real solid knotchy shift, n i lost a lottaa those weird noises it makes and those weird 1st/2nd gear marbles LOL..damn thing.
rofl, the quick shifter was greatest investment in the car I think. I get the craptastic fluttering though, I am going to hold off on reporting it because I am a slacker and if they can't reproduce it they will be annoying!
Old 03-02-10, 01:49 AM
HKS_IS250
Rookie

I got a 250 6mt also and ya my grinds into 3rd to 4th bad but ive heard good things about the fsport short throw shifter and plan on buying it my self cuz the stock set up right now is as annoying as rowing a boat in every gear! But ya ive felt the throws on on before there 30% shorter and it feels alot more solid and less loosely gooseee
Old 03-03-10, 10:42 AM
dmocchi
Rookie

The 'shuttering' or jerking you describe is common in 6 spds IS. Its not due completely to your driving abilities. There are 2 ways to remedy this situation in most cases.

1) Turn your traction control off ( Havent personally tried this but there are older posts on this somewhere on here.)

2) When you first turn on your car in the morning/day make sure that you shift at higher rpms (say 4500-5500) for the first few shifting cycles. This seems to work for me for most of the time. Intially I though that it was an issue w/heating the transm fluids properly but quickly realized that it could besomething else as it also occurs when car engine is already warm after start up.
Old 03-15-10, 01:09 PM
cyphur
Driver School Candidate

Having had this car for 2 plus years ....it has been an adventure smoothing out the shifts on a daily basis

imho turning off the traction control did make a difference in pulling off into traffic....because as soon as it detected a slip in traction it would retard power which made for hard engagement....however one day I spun out in the rain because I loss traction and took out a curb. (that was with worn summer tires)

now with new all weather tires ....I leave the traction control on and drive 90% of the time in snow mode. the decrease in throttle makes for a lot smoother engagement. imho the e-throttle is too sensitive for my heavy foot, which may be the case for many other drivers that were used to mechanical throttle input. (last car was 95 nissan maxima w/190,000 miles)