Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Confused about oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 11:51 AM
Hotwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Confused about oil

1. I've had all maintenance done on time and at the dealership until today. I tried a very highly recommended independent mechanic who works on Lexus and one other Japanese competitor exclusively.

2. I noticed that instead of using the 5W30 Synthetic blend oil that the dealership has always used this new mechanic used 10W 30 non-synthetic.

3. When I questioned him about the difference he first stated that he's had good luck with it, and does not necessarily see an advantage for using synthetic and this oil and viscosity should be fine for my car which has only ever lived in the south.

4. I checked the Owner's Manual and it recommends SAE 5W-30, but does not specify synthetic or not. It does say however that if SAE 5W-30 is not available and if 10W-30 is used to replace it with 5W-30 the next oil change.

5. I did a search on here, but could not get a definitive answer as to whether or not this is okay for my car.

I do not know much about mechanics, but despite that I want what is best for it. I bought it for it's looks first and reliability second! I have no problem going to the dealership, but thought this would a good option for me since several other Lexus owning friends have used this mechanic. I like having a good relationship with a personal mechanic like I do for our other brand car and our tires and brakes.

Should I be concerned about the oil currently in the car? Should I request a different kind the next time?

Lay terms in any responses would be most highly appreciated.
Old 07-15-09, 01:23 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

My Take, and My Take only. No Flames please.

1. IMHO, using a synthetic blend is like throwing your money away. Use a full synthetic or dino oil, but not a blend. You gain nothing over regular oil with a blend. BTW, I change all our vehicles oil at an interval of between 3K and 4K miles.

2. I use full synthetic for the extra protection it offers at high temps. I use dino in my wife's car, and my truck.

3. Since I live in Arizona, I understand what your mechanic is saying about heat, and the use of 10W-30 oil. I use 10W-30 myself in AZ because of our heat and mild winters. However, there are many who argue that this is not prudent. I have weighed the evidence, and my own experience, and will continue to use 10W-30.

Lou
Old 07-15-09, 03:26 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

If you plan to use synthetic oil -- use FULL synthetic

For oil weight, I would switch it back to 5W30.....just stick with what the manual says....

Last edited by kickin8; 07-15-09 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-16-09, 04:15 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

First, if your mechanic doesn't see an advantage in using synthetic I would not look for advice from him. He is telling you, because you are in the south the 10w-30 is better yet he doesn't see a need for synthetic. The reason he is using 10w-30 is because that is what they have. There is nothing wrong with using 10w-30 especially being you are in a hot area. You can safely use 0w-20, 0w-30, 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30. The 0w oils tend to have the best additive packages (cost more) and can better support extended OCI (oil change intervals). Also 0w oils provide a greater range of protection. Their pour rate (ability to flow at start-up) is better (lower). IMPO I don't think you can get a better oil then Amsoil 0w-30, regardless of your location! It will safely provide superior protection for one year.

Koz
Old 07-27-09, 02:00 PM
Hotwheels
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the tips. Based on this feedback, research on this forum and some others, and advice from friends I'll be using full synthetic in the future. It seems that most here prefer either: Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I'll have to determine which one. My brother has a high performance diesel truck and only uses Amsoil and swears by it.
Old 07-27-09, 02:10 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotwheels
Thank you for the tips. Based on this feedback, research on this forum and some others, and advice from friends I'll be using full synthetic in the future. It seems that most here prefer either: Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I'll have to determine which one. My brother has a high performance diesel truck and only uses Amsoil and swears by it.
Amsoil is the only that (AFAIK) that _guarantees_ their oil for 25k miles/1 year change intervals... that's good enough for me.