Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Exhaust - Got It - Here's my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 08:27 AM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Exhaust - Got It - Here's my opinion

I had the F-Sport Exhuast installed. Just got the car this morning. I only got to spend a few minutes in it so far, so I'll have to post a follow up review.

First impression as I approached the car while it was idling: Hmm. It's rumbling. Kind of sounds like a hot rod, but kind of sounds like a typical aftermarket exhaust on a younger person's car.

First impression as I started driving slowly at fairly low RPMs. Whoa. That's loud. It definitely doesn't sound like a luxury car anymore. I need more time in the car, because, right now, I'm not sure I like it. (Yes, similar to my prediction: What did I do???) But, I'm also in somewhat of a bad mood after travelling the last few days.

As I stepped on it a little. Very loud. Sounds good, though.

As I gunned it. Whew. Sounds very tough. I like this.

As I continued took off from the first stop light. HOLY COW. I barely felt like I pushed the gas at all, and the cars that were next to me are way way back there now. Hmm. I think my car is faster. Or, maybe those folks were just driving really slow.

As I drove around and stepped on it a few times. Very nice rumble and roar.

As I drove at a steady pace between 1 & 2K. Couldn't even hear the exhaust. That's good, because this will possibly get annoying at times. Not often, though.

Do I like it? So far, I'm leaning towards loving it, but I am also not sure yet.

My wife? She's going to hate it - I mean, really hate it.
Old 07-17-09, 08:44 AM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F-Sport exhaust is

I think you'll end up loving it.
Old 07-17-09, 09:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

is350wh - Looking forward to hearing your feedback after a few hundred miles.

And how's it at freeway cruise mode (65-85mph)? Any droning?
Old 07-17-09, 10:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Those folks were driving really slow

The F-sport (like all axle-backs) only adds about 7 rwhp... not enough to actually be noticeable, especially on a 350. Many folks confuse noise with power though, hence why a lot of people think they "feel" the gains from an intake which adds even less hp than the exhaust does.

So really it all comes down to if you like the sound or not
Old 07-17-09, 10:19 AM
Isblue
Pole Position

Yeah i was going to say wait a couple hundred miles and that things going to get louder...

want to also hear reviews on highway drone....
Old 07-17-09, 10:35 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you noticed a difference in the gas mileage ?
Old 07-17-09, 10:49 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

hi IS350wh! i cant wait for your final evulation of the f-sport exhaust. Thinking of getting the exhaust myself, but dont want it to be super loud. Hope the f-sport is what i need.
Old 07-17-09, 11:00 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by funnie
hi IS350wh! i cant wait for your final evulation of the f-sport exhaust. Thinking of getting the exhaust myself, but dont want it to be super loud. Hope the f-sport is what i need.
Then F sport isnt for you. At taste of Lexus I can hear the F sport exhaust all the way out in the parking lot and the loudness is why I've been wanting the F sport exhaust for a year now lol
Old 07-17-09, 11:06 AM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TriniGS
Have you noticed a difference in the gas mileage ?
I've noticed a LOSS in gas mileage because I want to hear the sound of the exhaust every time I drive so I use more throttle Oh well. the car was meant to be driven hard so I do so.
Old 07-17-09, 11:36 AM
is350wh
Driver

Took it for another spin. I haven't taken the freeway yet.

Driving slowly at low RPMs and about 1/4 pedal depth is very loud.

funnie: I have to agree with mikez. Man this thing is loud.

Regarding looks. They are beautiful. They "really" shine from the back. Looks great. My pipes extend beyond my bumper by about an inch or more. I wish they were flush with the bumper.

They do not have the F-Sport logo on them. I am guessing that means I didn't get the latest version. Not a huge deal, but kind of a bummer.
Old 07-17-09, 12:00 PM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

wow, i guess its time to try and find a Lexus HKS exhaust for sale. I know its a discontinued part, but someone / somewhere has to be selling it. ...
Old 07-17-09, 02:58 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the F-Sport exhaust on the 350C for a few days now. I dont think it is loud at all, although I used to have a Supra TT with a downpipe (no cat). I would literally set off alarms with the thing. I guess I kinda miss it...sounded like a UPS truck with a turbo whine.

Back to the F-Sport. It kinda reminds me of the older G35 at lower Rpms. Of course with the top down I can hear a lot more, but I really dont feel that its loud at all. Its def. somewhere inbetween. I am quite happy with it, as the stock IS seems to have no sporty sound at all. The best part is that its Lexus and you never have to worry about warranty, selling it or any other issues. I would def. recommend it though, I think it has the right balance of all things.
Old 07-17-09, 05:32 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you enjoy the sound and find it worth it by all means get the F-sport exhaust... but warranty is simply not a valid excuse to get it over any other aftermarket axle-back.

It's just an axle-back. It's not going to have any impact whatsoever on your factory warranty no matter whose axle-back you install... (and honestly as simple as an axle back is to put on it'd be nuts to pay a dealership to do it, which would be required for the full "warranty" aspect of the f-sport parts to apply).

I installed my tanabe in about 20 minutes just using a pair of rhino ramps and a few wrenches in my garage...the f-sport would be the same thing.
Old 07-17-09, 05:45 PM
saiyajin
Driver

how would you guys rate the Greddy SE in terms of loudness compared to the F-Sport?
Old 07-18-09, 05:38 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009LEX
LOL! Please dont listen to kurtz. He is neither an attorney nor has he ever had to battle a stealership. Personally I believe forum advice should be taken with a grain of salt unless qualified. Of course I have been through this hence my qualification
Well, for me its the peace of mind. I love that the manufacturer is the one making and installing the parts. If god forbid something happens to my car during install or anything I know they will make good on it. I feel like I have been to some pretty shady shops in my day. One shop aligned my car and left dimples on each of my new $1000 a piece rims, than denied they even did it.

As for doing it myself, well those days are over. I am sure its not that hard, but the dealer charged me half price to install everything...so why not?

Quick Reply: F-Sport Exhaust - Got It - Here's my opinion