Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Exhaust - Got It - Here's my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 11:29 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh
It's worth noting that a BIG part of the problem here is that the Lexus IS tranny is lame. It doesn't have clean, fast, crisp shifts. And the overall system doesn't do a good job of matching engine RPMs with the transmission gearing. So, in the example above, with a better transmission, the same pedal compression when going up the hill would (possibly) downshift right away, rather than holding that higher gear while the pedal is pushed that hard.
You have got to be kidding! This trans shifts very fast and clean. The gear ratios keep the RPMs in perfect power range at WOT.

Koz
Old 07-23-09, 03:23 PM
is350wh
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koz: This tranny is smooth like peanut butter, but shift times are a joke. Test a new 3-series that has paddle shifters. The BMW shifts much faster. Test a G35; same thing. The IS tranny is closer to the shift times of a Mazda; but the Mazda is probably even faster.
Old 07-23-09, 08:03 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont yo love the smell of a brand new exhaust?? ahhh if it gets too loud, just modify your midpipe and take off the secondary cats and replace them with ultra quiet resonators. It should tone it down a little bit
Old 07-23-09, 08:06 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the tranny. I feel like it has ALOT t do with how you treat the car and how the ECU learns to shift. Ive noticed the tranny gets lazzy and shifts gears too early when ive driven the car like a granny for the past few weeks. but when i dirve it hard for a while it shifts at higher RPM and even sounds better because of it. I dont like how an outomatc sounds at lor RPM when shifting gears unless is a ferrari or something
Old 07-23-09, 08:24 PM
is350wh
Driver

I had my wife drive my car home while I drove behind her in our other vehicle. The Exhaust sounds pretty good under normal driving. It sounds INCREDIBLE when it's gunned. Oh my goodness! Every time she would floor it, all I could say was, Wow.

I've also gotten used to it while I'm driving it. I really, really enjoy it.

There have been several references to midpipes. Can some of you describe the changes that this upgrade/change makes? power, sound, etc
Old 07-23-09, 08:29 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
About the tranny. I feel like it has ALOT t do with how you treat the car and how the ECU learns to shift. Ive noticed the tranny gets lazzy and shifts gears too early when ive driven the car like a granny for the past few weeks. but when i dirve it hard for a while it shifts at higher RPM and even sounds better because of it. I dont like how an outomatc sounds at lor RPM when shifting gears unless is a ferrari or something
I think it is just the IS350. My previous car, 350z, was automatic and it didn't sound like a automatic..
Old 07-24-09, 04:16 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by is350wh
Koz: This tranny is smooth like peanut butter, but shift times are a joke. Test a new 3-series that has paddle shifters. The BMW shifts much faster. Test a G35; same thing. The IS tranny is closer to the shift times of a Mazda; but the Mazda is probably even faster.
You must be talking about up-shifting in manual/sport mode. Yes, there is no control over up-shifts (In sport mode), it shifts when the computer decides. But if you use the full auto mode, the shifts are as fast/or faster then any car in its class (Including the BMW) and extremely precise. The only use for the sport mode is to keep the trans in a specific gear that will keep the engine RPMs in the power curve/range. The trans in the IS350 is one of the reasons this car is so user friendly and effective for drag racing.

Koz
Old 07-24-09, 08:07 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

howdy is350wh. it sounds like the f-sport exhaust is working out for u. Since your wife is fine with the exhaust noise ... maybe my gf would be too. not the same person, but i think all females have that similar type of sensitive hearing. Crossing my fingers on that assumption. your review is making me interested in giving the f-sport exhaust a shot. If my gf no like, im sure i can get rid of her .... (referring to the exhaust ... maybe ...)

hate decision making!
Old 07-24-09, 08:15 AM
EyeEss
Driver

Originally Posted by funnie
howdy is350wh. it sounds like the f-sport exhaust is working out for u. Since your wife is fine with the exhaust noise ... maybe my gf would be too. not the same person, but i think all females have that similar type of sensitive hearing. Crossing my fingers on that assumption. your review is making me interested in giving the f-sport exhaust a shot. If my gf no like, im sure i can get rid of her .... (referring to the exhaust ... maybe ...)

hate decision making!
AHAHAH, its always fun to get rid of her and get an upgrade with more bang for the buck.
Old 07-24-09, 09:08 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

good idea! i could always use some more bang for the buck.... i think that should be a man law =)
Old 07-24-09, 09:11 AM
is350wh
Driver

funnie: So far, yes, it's been a good thing. It was actually funny to watch/listen to my wife drive it. She kept gunning it. She later said it was pretty cool. (That's a major statement. My wife is very low key.)
Old 07-24-09, 09:24 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

ahhaha that is the same with my gf when i got the intake !!!! she kept gunning it to hear the intake roar. i told her to stop gunning it so frequesntly cause I notice myself ending up at the gas stations more than once a week .... need more bang for the buck ...hahahah !
Old 07-24-09, 09:32 AM
funnie
Lexus Test Driver

oh yeah, if things turn out to be "too loud" and I decide to change the mid pipe, etc, will I have trouble passing smog check? i'm in california if that matters, not sure if CA has different emission laws.
Old 07-24-09, 11:02 AM
EyeEss
Driver

rofl, don't worry I have upgraded many times for better bangs for the buck, sometimes you have to look at the quality though and take it into consideration. True craftsmanship with great curves and bends makes the product more valuable

The Tanabe exhaust was damn near silent, you heard a slight slight grumble out of it, you would hear more engine noise than exhaust noise....with the mid pipe it sounds like a nice purr from the exhaust itself. I 100% encourage everyone to get this. It will cost you $450 to buy it, you can find it on Amazon.com even. Install is a little bit of a pain but worth it. It removes the secondary cats so technically this should not pass emissions, however since there is no check engine light you will be fine. You would only run into a issue if they do a visual inspection which no one ever does. So basically this is the ultimate mod with no setbacks

$650 for Tanabe Exhaust
$450 for Megan Midpipe
$250 for F-Sport Intake

Perfect mods to help the car breathe better and it'll run you $1350 and you can DIY install it Next step will be handling mods yayy!
Old 07-24-09, 11:33 PM
09ISboy
Driver School Candidate

if my gf complains im just gonna show her the f sports website , powered by lexus..

it came like that :P

Quick Reply: F-Sport Exhaust - Got It - Here's my opinion