Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Limited slip differential question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-02, 11:55 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited slip differential question...

Hello, there!

Anyone know of a Torsen-type differential application for GS400/430? Two companies making them that I know of are Zexel Torsen and Quaiffe, but I don't think they have any designed for GS.

I spoke with Steve Ganz and he said that the TRD unit he sells is a clutch-type. I want a Torsen because it is superior to all others (open, viscous, clutch) in terms of durability (covered by warranty even for racing) and does its job well
(unless one wheel is off the ground, which I hope to avoid )

Any info is appreciated.
Old 04-12-02, 01:22 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

Vlad

Before I bought my TRD LSD from Steve, I too was searching for a torsion type LSD for the GS, but no luck... so I got the next best one on the market at a very good price. The TRD is said to be a lot stronger than the one's that come on the supra tt and the RMM.
If your planning on getting a SC later down the road, Mo doesn't recomend getting the LSD with 3.76 gears.

Hope this helps you out.

Aloha
Old 04-12-02, 05:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Limited slip differential question...

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
Anyone know of a Torsen-type differential application for GS400/430?
Yep. Having mine installed tomorrow.

Toyota actually uses a Torsen in their Supras, don't know the year(s).

Is is a 3.76 and off the top of my head, RMM and Suprastore sell them somewhere around the $1K range. The unit is actually an OEM Toyota part, so I bet you might could get a dealer to order you one as well - price shop it.

Do a search on LSD and 376, and you'll find plenty of info.

If you want deeper research, head to torsen.com; the Toyota is a "T-2" type; navigate to Applications and you can find the specifics about the unit to which I am referrring. Sounds rather bulletproof.

Can't wait.
Attached Thumbnails Limited slip differential question...-gsdiff.jpg  
Old 04-12-02, 10:18 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Thank you, fellas!
I'll check it out....
Old 04-12-02, 08:02 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

I also wanted a torsen type LSD for its low maintenance. The only one I could find had the 3.76 ratio instead of stock 3.26. I wanted to stay with the stock ratio to keep the rpm's down on the highway, minimize hitting the rev limiter, and not confuse the ECU. The TRD LSD is a two way clutch type and is about half the price ($799) of the supra/rmm ($1500) torsen type. If you pay someone to install the LSD the supra/rmm will have a lower installation cost because it is a whole diff unit. The TRD LSD is just the internal clutch unit and you reuse the original diff's case, pinion and ring gear.
Old 04-13-02, 06:24 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by GJSGS4
I also wanted a torsen type LSD for its low maintenance. The only one I could find had the 3.76 ratio instead of stock 3.26. I wanted to stay with the stock ratio to keep the rpm's down on the highway, minimize hitting the rev limiter, and not confuse the ECU. The TRD LSD is a two way clutch type and is about half the price ($799) of the supra/rmm ($1500) torsen type. If you pay someone to install the LSD the supra/rmm will have a lower installation cost because it is a whole diff unit. The TRD LSD is just the internal clutch unit and you reuse the original diff's case, pinion and ring gear.
Good info to point out GJSGS4.

One of the reasons I decided to got with the 376 unit was to help push my bigger wheels and tires, and their associated weight.

If I was using OEM 16s or 17s, and did not forsee upgrading the wheels and tires, I would get the TRD unit.
Old 04-14-02, 02:40 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

If you really want the 3.23 gearing, I think you could just take out the stock diff and place in the torsen one. SUPRATRD (Steve) had a blow out sale on the 3.76 Toyota supra 3rd member (the pumpkin) for 400. Maybe you could beg him and get some other buyers and he could get a good deal again.