Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

L-Tuned Mufflers Installed - I like 'em!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 09:10 PM
Murph
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-Tuned Mufflers Installed - I like 'em!

Installed the L-Tuned mufflers today. Got a woody when I started it up. What a great improvement to this car! It is only slightly louder except for when you give a lot of throttle and then it makes it presence known. The tone is much deeper and more pleasing to the ear. I have made a CD quality recoding of before and after and will share with anyone who is considering this mod so you can hear the difference. Let me know and I'll e-mail the file to you.

Murph

Old 04-13-02, 09:29 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I'm glad you like it. They do give more horses too. A guy dynoed his GS4 with them on and he had 6 more hp &7 more tq than me. The only thing he had over me was the L-tune exhaust....enjoy them!!!!!
Old 04-14-02, 03:07 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You recorded it! Great! I was going to do the same with my exhaust. I think we should start a small sound library of the different exhausts so that others can hear different setups on different cars (and have multiple recordings of the same setup/car by different people...that way any "outside" variations like recording setup, location, etc., etc. can be taken into account when people listen to the recordings)

Hey Murph, what equipment and process did you use to record the sound. I'm debating on how I should sample the sound and get it into my computer...I was thinking of using a DV camera and then just using my sound-in port on my PC (or Mac)...
Old 04-14-02, 05:25 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys

go to your local computer store and pick up the Dazzle DVC-80 it has audio and video (even S-Video) input jacks so you can hook up anythign to it. thats how i did my thing with gran - turismo 3.

you can record just audio, just video or both.

its a really cool part... i dont know how firewire works i just know its expensive and i think this is good enough!

the thing i would be most worried about is sound captureing with a mic... nothing can capture close to the real sound! my car sounded much more rice on the computer than it is in real life!

they did that in japan.. i have like 12 video clips of different exhaust all on diferent GS. none of them we can get here mind you.
Old 04-14-02, 07:32 AM
Murph
Pole Position

I used a Roland VS1880 and recorded at 24 bits with 44.1KHz sample rate which is CD quality. I did not use one of my best microphones as I did not want to risk contaminiating the diaphram with exhaust particulates. What I did use was a tried and true good quality Shure 585SA which has good characteristics especially in the frequency range recorded.

I placed the mike 6 inches away from the pipe at a 45 deg angle. I did this to avoid pops from the ehaust hitting the diaphram. I then used some sound absorbtion foam to try to screen out background outdoor noise. I was very careful to duplicate the exact setup for both recordings. I did not change any level settings from one recording to the other so actual differences are exactly captured.

My car went from being a tenor to a bass.

Murph
Old 04-14-02, 09:02 AM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default Reset ECU now

New Mod = Reset of the ECU. Glad u like em. Hear that V-8 rumble now. :-)
Old 04-14-02, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts
Default Re: L-Tuned Mufflers Installed - I like 'em!

Originally posted by Murph
Installed the L-Tuned mufflers today. Got a woody when I started it up.
ROFL I know EXACTLY what you mean. Everyone at my Lexus dealership was grinning from ear to ear about my car when they were done.

And I STILL love the low WOOF when I start the car.
Old 04-14-02, 05:51 PM
Murph
Pole Position

If you want the sound clip just ping me at GS400@attbi.com and I'll send it along

Murph
Old 04-15-02, 11:24 AM
Hohlraum
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone post these as something that doesn't require that License migrating mumbo-jumbo in windows? That or atleast explain to me what it does. I am not exactly what you would call a fan of M$.
Old 05-04-02, 03:49 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Murph
If you want the sound clip just ping me at GS400@attbi.com and I'll send it along

Murph
Murph,

Don't forget to add to the "low shelf"... Anyone who is a recording engineer will know what I'm saying!

Percy
Old 05-05-02, 04:50 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Just trying to contribute. Here is a sound clip of the RMM intake and HKS exhaust. This could be the 1st for the library.

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/gs_400/gssound.htm

MAC

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 05-05-02 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 08:39 AM
StylinGS300
Driver

I just had a Greddy Power Extreme installed yesterday on my 02 GS3 and it's very loud. I'm going to try to return it even if I have to pay for a restocking fee. Between L-Tuned and Rod Millen exhaust. Which one is quieter and give more horses? I'm looking for the whole exhaust system, from the cat back.
Old 05-05-02, 08:44 AM
RacingAristo

Neither Ltuned nor RMM is cat-back.
Old 05-07-02, 01:56 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the APEX WS exhaust...full cat back...not too loud...if you're local to LA, you can hear it on my GS430...I might be a tad bit louder on a GS300 though...
Old 05-07-02, 04:59 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
Try the APEX WS exhaust...full cat back...not too loud...if you're local to LA, you can hear it on my GS430...I might be a tad bit louder on a GS300 though...
i agree but just wanna add somethign because i have heard greddy on GS430 and GS300 that both have WR intake..

Greddy IS NOT loud at all... like proboboly 9dB quieter at WOT and 9dB is a lot....

when we were rolling in his car he put it into neutral to rev it (like cluting and then reving) and it made NO noise... seriously ok you couldn't HEAR ANYTHING... like the car was OFF.... ?????? i couldn't understand it.... i think it had somethign to do with air flowing into the intake possibly but it still makes no sence... at stopped it doesn't sound like that.

point is GS300 will always be MUCH MUCH louder than a GS430 exhaust from the cat-back, except for one thing, i think the resonance will stay the same... the greddy on GS430 resonates equal to the amount it resonates on the GS3 at like highway speeds

just adding to manarays point.... but if anyone knows whats up with that reving while rolling and making no noise thing please let me know. Oh and we didn't put it back into drive until it was like at idle speed in neutral... i dont think thats bad for the car but if it is please let me and my friend know.

congrats on the new L-Tuned Dude

Quick Reply: L-Tuned Mufflers Installed - I like 'em!