Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New from JAPAN adding power to our car

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-09, 01:55 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New from JAPAN adding power to our car

So i am in Hong Kong right now i happen to pass by a car performance store, and they have told me they have a product from Japan that would add Hp our Lexus IS, i look at the product and it's Spark Max made by SplitFire and here are their web site to the product that i am talking about.
http://www.splitfire-japan.com/produ...max/index.html
They are selling the Spark Max for $550 i don't know if i should get it because i am not sure if it will work. Please give me your thought about this.
Old 08-23-09, 07:45 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you believe that, I've got a nice bridge to sell you...
Old 08-23-09, 08:55 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

It will do very little.
Old 08-23-09, 08:59 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

lol just get the SUN AUTO treats...the grounding kit, voltage system...and the other thing if you feel the need to add more wires in our already wire abundant engine bays.
Old 08-23-09, 11:30 AM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much hp are they saying that will add to our cars?
Old 08-23-09, 01:28 PM
kikaida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrIS250
lol just get the SUN AUTO treats...the grounding kit, voltage system...and the other thing if you feel the need to add more wires in our already wire abundant engine bays.
Do you have Sun Auto products? If so how are they working for you?
Old 08-23-09, 05:49 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

It's hard to quantify the hp/tq gains, unless they have a before and after dyno. A modification like this is probably going to add a few HP/TQ, relative to the car's performance and existing modifications.

I would say this product is partly an engine bay dress-up and might provide a marginal power increase.
Old 08-23-09, 08:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
It's hard to quantify the hp/tq gains, unless they have a before and after dyno. A modification like this is probably going to add a few HP/TQ, relative to the car's performance and existing modifications.

I would say this product is partly an engine bay dress-up and might provide a marginal power increase.
Wanna bet? I bet there's zero gain. Why? Because OEMs don't have weak ignitions anymore. Why not? Because they have to meet emissions requirements with very lean burn conditions.

Besides, a powerful ignition is just a mask for poor tuning. If your tuning is right, you can get away with a pretty crappy ignition. It's just hard to find a good tune with a crappy ignition because there are so many operating conditions where the crappy ignition fails.
Old 08-23-09, 09:35 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Wanna bet? I bet there's zero gain. Why? Because OEMs don't have weak ignitions anymore. Why not? Because they have to meet emissions requirements with very lean burn conditions.

Besides, a powerful ignition is just a mask for poor tuning. If your tuning is right, you can get away with a pretty crappy ignition. It's just hard to find a good tune with a crappy ignition because there are so many operating conditions where the crappy ignition fails.

Well, I said probably. You may be right about the "zero gain." No one will know for sure until a dyno is presented. Again, I mentioned that it is more or less an engine bay dress-up, just like ground wires, voltage stabilizer, fuel ionizers. They may provide slight increase in efficiency or better fuel economy. It is also possible that there is in fact no gains. It's pure marketing and inducing people to believe that such products make hp/tq and increase overall power.

I don't want to spark a debate or anything. I've seen dynos for voltage stabilizers and grounding wire kits, which show a slight increase in power. Don't quote me about the ignition/spark booster as I know little about the technical aspects of this product.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference. In the case of HID bulbs, some like 8000k and some like 6000k. Some care about retaining visibility/practicality while others care about the lighting appearance/aesthetics.

Cheers
Old 08-24-09, 07:45 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

for $550, I'd rather get nitrous

.....oh...I did already
Old 08-25-09, 11:42 AM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1

.....oh...I did already
Old 09-02-09, 10:27 AM
norcal_c
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got something similar for my crf50 and didn't notice a thing. (Didn't do ****) That's also a dirtbike compared to a car. I don't think people should waste $500+ for something like this. Just check your spark plug gap or buy new spark plugs periodically.
Old 09-02-09, 11:17 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2k2 R1

.....oh...I did already
you over paid
Old 09-03-09, 08:46 AM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why????

Why inch HP that you dont even feel?

I have been modding cars for a few years and been around a lot of them...and I see want and feel the ich for Mods myself even now with the 350 i have but honestly if its power you seek as a goal and not just modding to be modding or looking at higher dyno numbers
these cars are pretty much Max'ed out on HP and TQ - an intake and exhaust ,especially the axel back ones are mainly good audio to get your ears off to--- sound faster mods...go faster mods on a 350 they are not.

sparks tho - and at that price I mean come on, ya gotta really think about what is your goal here or are you just spending $$ to get like a total of 2 more HP that you arent going to feel anywhere else but in your mind...even if you squeeze 1 hp out of it ... look at what you spent to get a higher number at the dyno...seriously some bubbles need to be burst.

an intake - you get a nice look under your hood, some nice audio , a higher dyno number and a filter that you can wash out instead of replace and thats cool if thats what you want...but you arent winning anymore stop light races or drags than you were if you hadn't spent the $250-$300 bucks on it
the same goes for
an exahust - nice audio , no (mainly none) REAL WORLD- putting it to the pavement -speed increase

these engines come basically full blast from factory- bolt ons like that dont do anything really but give you some nice "VRRRM VRRRM" sound

Turbo, Supercharging, increase in displacement via internal engine mods, Nos are the only real deal- "Now I am actually going faster" Mods for the 350 and 250
That or go get that IS-F

but please be focused on reality and know that your 0-60 and 1/4mile with or without all these intakes, spark plugs, ignitions, exhausts, etc will be basically exactly the same as the guy/girl who left their car stock.
as long as you come to grips with that ---hey MOD AWAY-
cause I'll admit--I like to sound fast too!..it just sounds nice!

handling in this car can be improved if you want to spend $$ and feel an actual difference-if better performance is the goal--its $$ better spent

Last edited by NYC ES3; 09-03-09 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-08-09, 11:53 AM
yukasbros
Driver School Candidate

Default I vouch for Mods

Hey Bro, I’m not exactly agreeing with you on that, I have an 2008 IS350 and my brother owns a 350z.
When we first bought our cars from factory I was beating him on the ¼ mile by 2 cars. We both weight about the same 190lbs even though he is 2 inches taller (he is 6’2” I’m 6’0”) we raced with exactly the same tires and we ran with full tanks just to keep the variance about the same. Then he started modifying his car and he installed the following:
1) HKS Hi power exhaust stainless steel and with titanium tips.
2) DC Sports brushed stainless steel headers.
3) Invidia stainless steel test pipes.
4) Cobb tuning accesport.
5) Hawk HPS brake pads front and rear.
6) Motordyne 5/16 ISO thermal plenum spacer.
7) Fujita short ram intake (wrinkle black).
After he was done he was beating me by 2 cars, so there is about (4 cars improvement) in his car. Then I got the Fujita short ram intake (wrinkle black) and I can vouch for it I got a 1-1/2 car increase just with that only. Now my brother still beats me but by half a car.

Quick Reply: New from JAPAN adding power to our car