Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

APEXi NEO INSTALLATION . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 11:58 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APEXi NEO INSTALLATION . . .

I'd like to install a cold air intake with an APEXi Neo III in the 98GS4. Is there any kind of long term damage to the car with such an installation? Passing smog emissions? Too much advanced timing preparation? Anyone answering this thread, please provide sound knowledge and insight. Don't wanna blow the engine! Thanks!
Old 08-25-09, 12:09 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K&N Fipk intake is the only intake that is carb legal. So its the only one that will pass smog in CA. I have never had any problems with mine. The only problem I have ever heard of is since the K&N uses a oil filter that the oil can get on the MAF and screw it up. To me it sounds like this could happen if you reoiled the filter and put to much oil on it. A simple fix for this if you are worried about it happening is get a dry filter that doesnt need any oil. I know that rockalex uses a dry filter on his K&N that he likes however I dont remember what filter it was. But other than that a great product.
Old 08-25-09, 12:28 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evil00017
The K&N Fipk intake is the only intake that is carb legal. So its the only one that will pass smog in CA. I have never had any problems with mine. The only problem I have ever heard of is since the K&N uses a oil filter that the oil can get on the MAF and screw it up. To me it sounds like this could happen if you reoiled the filter and put to much oil on it. A simple fix for this if you are worried about it happening is get a dry filter that doesnt need any oil. I know that rockalex uses a dry filter on his K&N that he likes however I dont remember what filter it was. But other than that a great product.
Amsoil!
Old 08-25-09, 02:46 PM
al-ex-us
Driver

I spoke to a technician, someone at Tuning Technologies in Colton, CA. He explained that buying the wiring harness and NEO unit wouldn't be necessary. According to him, all that's needed with my headers and exhaust is the re-programming of the ECU. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with ECU re-programming with the 98GS4? The tekkie told me there's no long term damage to the car by doing so, but I would like to hear from ones who've actually done it. Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-09, 05:16 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by al-ex-us
I spoke to a technician, someone at Tuning Technologies in Colton, CA. He explained that buying the wiring harness and NEO unit wouldn't be necessary. According to him, all that's needed with my headers and exhaust is the re-programming of the ECU. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with ECU re-programming with the 98GS4? The tekkie told me there's no long term damage to the car by doing so, but I would like to hear from ones who've actually done it. Any thoughts?
From what I have read (everywhere ) our ECU's cannot be re-programmed/re-flashed. I too was curious of this at one point a while back because JET Performance makes a re-programmer kit where you send in your ECU and they supposedly re-program it for higher output. I don't know of anyone doing this with our cars...
Old 08-26-09, 08:39 AM
al-ex-us
Driver

Does anyone have any link information on where to get the S-AFC Neo for the 98GS4? I'll need it to work for the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor.
Old 08-26-09, 12:28 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The neo you can get anywhere. Search ebay you can find new and used ones. What you need to make it work is eather re wire it in with the ecu wiring harness or buy a new one from boomslang. Rockalex has more info on the harness.