Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone considering a 2UR-GSE (IS-F) engine replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 07:24 PM
ssimmons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considering a 2UR-GSE (IS-F) engine replacement?

Since the IS-F came out I've been wondering if anyone else thought about replacing the engine in their 2 GS with a 419 hp 371 tq IS-F engine? I imagine this engine costs 15 grand (minimum) if you buy one from Lexus and IS-F's aren't gonna be found in junkyards any time soon - even when their totalled. Has anyone else thought about it? Know where to get one? And how difficult would it be to sync one with the rest of the drivetrain? It's sickening to see twin turbos available for the IS-F since day one whereas turbo on a GS has pretty much been a custom experiment for years. thx
Old 08-26-09, 07:30 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I personally think getting everything to talk to everything else would be a major PITA. Not worth it, to say the least.
Old 08-26-09, 10:43 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously, why in the world would you want to swap engine? The cost alone will outweight the cost of just buying the IS-F to begin with. Then say you can complete the swap, the custom wiring of the harness and running a standalone will kill you on top of labor...
Old 08-26-09, 10:58 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Nah, it would be cheaper to swap that motor in than to buy an IS-F lol. I would say $25k for the swap, factor in about $15k for a 2GS in good condition. Totalling $40k...that's still cheaper than a IS-F lol.

ORRRR....get a GS300 for cheap, and drop in $25k of custom motor work, then you will be untouchable on the streets lol. 2JZ-GTE swap, big turbo, standalone, Getrag 6spd manual trans, carbon race clutch, and you will be on the way to making 800rwhp

If turbos and 2JZ's aren't your thing, then I'd suggest swapping in a LSx engine with a 6spd manual trans attached. That would be the ultimate in uniqueness, make equal or more power than the IS-F, AND it would cost FAR LESS than a IS-F motor swap
Old 08-26-09, 11:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Jeff, when r u gonna step into the v8 category? LOL, that would be awesome...they r pretty cheap nowaday.
Old 08-27-09, 08:34 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

I'll step into a V8 once I pick up a C6 vette, and it will be twin turbo'd and modified to all hell for track/racing use
Old 08-27-09, 10:11 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Nah, it would be cheaper to swap that motor in than to buy an IS-F lol. I would say $25k for the swap, factor in about $15k for a 2GS in good condition. Totalling $40k...that's still cheaper than a IS-F lol.

ORRRR....get a GS300 for cheap, and drop in $25k of custom motor work, then you will be untouchable on the streets lol. 2JZ-GTE swap, big turbo, standalone, Getrag 6spd manual trans, carbon race clutch, and you will be on the way to making 800rwhp

If turbos and 2JZ's aren't your thing, then I'd suggest swapping in a LSx engine with a 6spd manual trans attached. That would be the ultimate in uniqueness, make equal or more power than the IS-F, AND it would cost FAR LESS than a IS-F motor swap
For $4k more ($44k USD) you basically have a used 2008 IS-F with every option possible and low mileage (more or less 20k miles).
Old 08-27-09, 11:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
For $4k more ($44k USD) you basically have a used 2008 IS-F with every option possible and low mileage (more or less 20k miles).
I've seen them on ebay between 44-49k with under 15k miles...

I would get the IS-F.. That car is made for that engine..
Old 08-27-09, 07:41 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, if your goal is to have a "cost is no object" all Lexus unique 2nd gen... then go for it.

Otherwise you should consider your goals. So far 282rwhp/306rwtq (Rock-a-Lex) which is around 340-350hp flywheel and 360-370tq flywheel has been made from a 2nd gen GS4 and that is from the 4 liter.

Going with a 4.3 shortblock and the same/similar mods could give 370-380hp / 400+tq. You could also go with a stroker crank like available at Lextreme - and -

take a 4.0L to a 4.38L (390tq potential)
take a 4.3L to a 4.75L (425tq potential
take an iron 4.7L to a 5.2L (468tq potential)

With proper support and tuning the above stroker combos would give a GS4xx SERIOUS power and torque which is FUN which is the REAL goal, yes?

Now, the above numbers are estimates based on the BEST numbers I have seen reported on a GS400 with headers, intake AND dyno tuning. But these are a reasonable goals.

Also, it is MORE fun (for me anyway) to challenge obviously fast cars with not so obviously fast cars. If you loose, no problem, you were supposed to loose. If you WIN it leaves the other driver completely confused.
Old 08-27-09, 08:25 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jbrady
Also, it is MORE fun (for me anyway) to challenge obviously fast cars with not so obviously fast cars. If you loose, no problem, you were supposed to loose. If you WIN it leaves the other driver completely confused.

One of the things I love most about my car. I also love the extremely disappointed look on peoples faces when their said "fast" car gets beat by a big 4door sedan with 20s.
Old 08-27-09, 08:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I'd get an LSx engine long before an 2UR-GSE.
Old 08-27-09, 10:36 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Ditto...what I've been saying all along lol
Old 08-28-09, 07:35 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes, If I were to change from the xUZFE to any other engine it would be the LSx series as the options are massive. That said an engine swap is complex and expensive. My suggestion for stroking the existing series motor keeps the stock vehicle engineering intact while providing a power increase to keep up with the scene.
Old 08-28-09, 11:42 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
Yes, If I were to change from the xUZFE to any other engine it would be the LSx series as the options are massive. That said an engine swap is complex and expensive. My suggestion for stroking the existing series motor keeps the stock vehicle engineering intact while providing a power increase to keep up with the scene.
I agree. I am all down for the crazy LSx stuff, everybody knows the options are near limitless for not much (I say this relatively) cash.

But there is something said about keeping it pure in the sense of the vehicles original motor, or at least the same company's. Toyota (2jz\4.7 tundra swaps and such).
Old 08-29-09, 10:35 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

Or you could offer me 35 k and have my GS!. And you would have everything already done. well over 450 rwhp and all the creature comforts that come with the GS. and it's still a V8 that is in the toyota family.

Quick Reply: Anyone considering a 2UR-GSE (IS-F) engine replacement?