Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust comparision: Apex vs. Blitz vs. everything else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 11:52 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust comparision: Apex vs. Blitz vs. everything else?

Any thoughts in terms of hp gain, sound, pricing, etc.? I am really interested in either one but never heard of the sound in person. I am looking for an exhaust that isn't too loud but has a deep tone. Any other recommendations?
Old 04-18-02, 02:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you probably know, I have the APEX WS exhaust....

HP gain with any exhaust will be minimal...for me, I noticed some better midrange...but nothing I'd be writing home to Mom about...

Sound is great. Low growl, not that loud, anything under 2000 RPM while driving with the music on (moderate) is not even noticable...sounds REALLY good when the car is driving away (I just heard my car from "outside" last night when I let my friend drive it down the street..)

Price can NOT be beat for a full cat-back system. It's less expensive that most axle-back systems.

Another advantage is that you loose the resonators...which allows you to use the Type-A TOM'S Rear LCB (if that matters to you)...

Does anyone have some space where I can upload a MP3 that I can link too? I'll upload some recordings of my exhaust...(I haven't sampled them into the computer yet...)
Old 04-18-02, 04:17 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

manaray, PM me and we'll figure that MP3 thign out i can host.

I have Greddy, as does my friend dan (GS430) so i have seen the difference of the same exhaust when being pushed by 2 different engines. Its COMPLEATLY different IMO. the 430 is deeper, and quieter than the 300... although the 300 is still quiet enough for most to handle i think.

also Greddy gets rid of the damn resonators so i can also use the Tom's brace!
Old 04-18-02, 11:05 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Manaray:

How much did you paid for your Apex?
Old 04-18-02, 07:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally posted by manaray
Another advantage is that you loose the resonators...which allows you to use the Type-A TOM'S Rear LCB (if that matters to you)...

Manaray,

As one of the few folks who have seen the Toms Type-A LCB, do you think it'll fit on a GS4 with Borla's? I had Steve order the open end Tom's LCB for me (Type B) a month or so ago, but something got screwed up and only Type-A came in...

Also - Sasha if the hosting thing doesn't work out on your site let me know and I'll put up the MP3s on mine.

Thanks as always,
D
Old 04-18-02, 11:28 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Sasha - Thanks for the offer for hosting...I'll let you know (I need to figure out how to get the sound into my computer with some decent quality).

As for the sound, it's like that no matter WHAT exhaust you get. It'll ALWAYS be quiter on the 400/430 over the 300's...

DaveGS4 - I haven't tried to put a Type-A on a Borla system so I can't say. I'll be selling my Type-B if you're interested...

Davezaristo - I can't say what I paid since it was through a "hook-up" deal with APEXi...but what I can tell you is that there are official APEX dealers selling it for less than $500...that's a killer deal for a CAT BACK exhaust system from Japan!
Old 04-19-02, 01:25 AM
v300
Lead Lap

If you're truly looking for performance keep your exhaust stock and weld on tips (Razo has nice tips) at Midas or a trusted muffler shop. Save your money on a S-AFC tune and a dependable high flow intake. On a 300 you're not going to gain anything. Sorry to say a couple of shops I am associated with have ran tests on 300s with full catback exhausts vs. factory with air filter/remap and factory configs. The tests were all measured on Dynojets and Claytons. I'm going to tell you that you're going to loose power on everything and catch up at full throttle (tested in third/fouth gear).

As for sound an exhaust on a NA 300 will sound louder and more "high-pitched" than 400/430. Please take this as a consideration.
Old 04-20-02, 10:56 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by v300
If you're truly looking for performance keep your exhaust stock and weld on tips (Razo has nice tips) at Midas or a trusted muffler shop. Save your money on a S-AFC tune and a dependable high flow intake. On a 300 you're not going to gain anything. Sorry to say a couple of shops I am associated with have ran tests on 300s with full catback exhausts vs. factory with air filter/remap and factory configs. The tests were all measured on Dynojets and Claytons. I'm going to tell you that you're going to loose power on everything and catch up at full throttle (tested in third/fouth gear).

As for sound an exhaust on a NA 300 will sound louder and more "high-pitched" than 400/430. Please take this as a consideration.
that's good news in a way. More NA 300 (lol new name for GS300) owners will know what to do it they are looking for power from airflow and exhaust flow.

Basically if your N/A engine doesn't redline at 8000 you probably shouldn't N/A tune