Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Spark Plug Anti Fouler as 02 Simulator.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 01:54 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plug Anti Fouler as 02 Simulator.

I'll be installing a set of obx headers this week and finally putting on my hks exhaust. I have an oxygen sensor simulator that I ordered online but I wasn't sure if I would need to wire in a resistor or not. I also heard that I just use a spark plug anti fouler in place of the simulator and it would do the same job. I wish i looked into this before I ordered the stuff but I didn't so now I'm here trying to figure out the best way to deal with what I have. Any input would be great... oh and I'm also getting p0135 and p0430. I plan on changing the sensor that's bad and I'll have no cat's with the new headers so the p0430 code shouldn't matter as long as I can bypass it correctly.
Old 09-08-09, 05:55 AM
eklikewhoa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done this with a civic but not sure if it will work on a GS.... seeing how my sensors are on the GS3 it would be hard with the sensor end right up against the floor pan.
Old 09-08-09, 07:31 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eklikewhoa
I've done this with a civic but not sure if it will work on a GS.... seeing how my sensors are on the GS3 it would be hard with the sensor end right up against the floor pan.
I'm not even sure if the OBX pipes have a bung for the 02 sensor... if I have to have one welded on I could reposition it... I guess I'll have to take it to the shop to see what my options are... I'd rather just use the simulator at this point but I'm not too sure how to wire it up...
Old 09-08-09, 10:27 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djspawn00
I'm not even sure if the OBX pipes have a bung for the 02 sensor... if I have to have one welded on I could reposition it... I guess I'll have to take it to the shop to see what my options are... I'd rather just use the simulator at this point but I'm not too sure how to wire it up...
I've never tried the anti fouler method but I've seen it work for some people. As far as the O2 sim, it is very easy to wire it, its only four wires for a dual output O2 sim, which is what you need. You wire your B1S2, B2S2, Power,& Ground. Now if you leave your o2 sensor intact and tucked away somewhere safe, then you won't need to touch the heater circuits. But if you disconnect the o2 sensor, then you need modify the heater circuits.
Old 09-10-09, 10:11 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
I've never tried the anti fouler method but I've seen it work for some people. As far as the O2 sim, it is very easy to wire it, its only four wires for a dual output O2 sim, which is what you need. You wire your B1S2, B2S2, Power,& Ground. Now if you leave your o2 sensor intact and tucked away somewhere safe, then you won't need to touch the heater circuits. But if you disconnect the o2 sensor, then you need modify the heater circuits.
Thanks, i'll give it a shot.
Old 09-21-09, 12:59 PM
Bliggity
Pole Position

FYI, I have used non-foulers on many of my cars with sucess. Sometimes you just have to drill out some of the non-fouler so the O2 sensor can screw down into the non-fouler further. Cheap and easy, let me knoe if you want part #'s from the local auto store. "Help" makes the best ones.
Old 09-22-09, 11:46 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

The part numbers for an 02 GS3 would be great. Thanks man. PM sent.
Old 09-29-09, 08:14 AM
bg_281
Driver

I'm currently using them on my 430 right now as we speak... I just installed them about 3 weeks ago so I could pass inspection... its very simple... I picked mine up from a local O'reillys, each package has two pieces. Drill one out so the o2 sensor can be able to go all the way through, then just install it on ur vehicle... If u need to know which one you need just go to the parts counter and ask to borrow a new o2 sensor so u can check fitment
Old 03-21-10, 06:29 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Generally speaking, does the P0430 code mean the sensor has gone bad, or the entire cat? I have a 04 430 and w 100k and am wondering if I should run no cats and try this trick, or just replace the sensor....

lexus is telling me the cat is bad, but I find that very hard to believe.
Old 03-26-10, 06:56 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Generally speaking, does the P0430 code mean the sensor has gone bad, or the entire cat? I have a 04 430 and w 100k and am wondering if I should run no cats and try this trick, or just replace the sensor....

lexus is telling me the cat is bad, but I find that very hard to believe.
P0420 is usually a bad cat for sure.. P0430 can be the sensor or the cat. Either could still be something else still though..

A defouler or simulator should fix the issue. The under hood sensor has the room for straight a sparkplug defouler to be used as mentioned. But the one under the car under the passenger seat needs a 90 degree o2 defouler on it because it will hit the floorpan if just extended out.

You only need to 'fix' the 2 after the cats, don't mess with the ones before the cats.

It will fix the code problem, but it is possible that the cats are clogged or broken up to a point that they are restricting enough flow to rob some gas mileage and horsepower..

It's cheaper to put headers on it than to replace the cats if your into it. But since your in cali I guess that's a big issue to deal with..

100k seems a little early but is possible..
Old 03-31-10, 06:49 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, thanks for the helpful information. Where did you find a 90 degree spark plug defouler? can't seem to find one. Just bought a pair of regular ones. 18mm right?
Old 03-31-10, 07:21 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

It wouldn't be a 90 degree sparkplug defouler as the plug just wouldn't work like that.. You need an actual o2 sensor defouler.. You'll have to get it off the internet or ebay as parts stores won't have them, but if you have an import tuner shop local they may have them. 18mm x 1.5 is correct, be sure to get stainless steel one and use anti-seize grease when you install it..

Last edited by 99 GS3; 03-31-10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-31-10, 07:56 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting. They are going for about 45 each.....

If I remove the cats all together and swap in a test pipe, will these still be effective in eliminating my check engine light?
Old 03-31-10, 08:03 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Yes eliminating the cel caused by the sensors after the cats in a car with good sensors but a bad cat or no cat is exactly what they are for. If you have a bad sensor it's no going to fix that tho..

I paid about $20 each..
Old 04-01-10, 12:09 PM
GS430 UK
Rookie

hi

i am new to this defouler spark plug business

Can someone show me a link of what this is as i have had the p0430 code and gutted my cats all 3 of them but before this i changed my b2s2 but this still didnt make the cel light go off, so the only option i had was to open the cats and check them and all 3 were fine and not blocked or broken up

so i was really confused and just gutted them.

i still have the cel light on and would really like this to turn off

all help will be much appreciated as nothing like this is available in the uk

thanks

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Anti Fouler as 02 Simulator.