Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any Thoughts on a Borla Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 06:53 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any Thoughts on a Borla Exhaust

I want exhaust, dont know what to get.
I dont want it sounding like a civic.
So Someone help me out!

Last edited by MIA_LEX; 09-09-09 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 07:21 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want it loud? that's what the Borla is
Old 09-09-09, 07:24 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Ha well i want other IS drivers to feel like **** when i drive by them....
anyways goodlooks for your help i read some other thread and got the information i wanted im going to get a megan exhaust.

Last edited by MIA_LEX; 09-09-09 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 07:51 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

well in that case my best piece of advice would be to find a midpipe or exhaust that deletes the secondary cats, this alone adds a very fierce tone at high RPM
Old 09-09-09, 07:55 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Bro^^^^^^ I like those blue Led's. Had them for two weeks got pulled over 3 times before i took them out, told me i was impersonating a cop ha
Old 09-09-09, 08:41 PM
DaveMS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Borla cat back and it is tolerable. There is some drone on the highway, especially to passengers in the back seat. The build quality is not good and it had to be modified to work properly. I trimmed a heat shield to eliminate a rattle and the original owner of the exhaust had to bend some mounts to make it fit. I got it for a really good price so I can not complain. If you have any more questions, let me know.
Old 09-09-09, 11:47 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

I had the Borla on my IS350 and I am very happy with it. The drone is very minor, mainly between 1500-2000rpm. Because it is a true dual exhaust the eliminates the secondary cats, it produces a sporty exhaust note. It's not crazy loud, but is not too quiet. Fitment was very good, except I removed the heat shield underneath the car to avoid rattling issues. Not that big of a problem if you ask me. When I am putting aftermarket parts on my IS, I don't expect the fitment to be 100% on par with OEM parts/configuration.

I did not have to bend any mounts as the shop managed to put all the piping together at ease. Some WD-40 would definately help when sliding all the pipes together. It is a pretty expensive exhaust brand new, so if you are looking to pick one up, I would recommend looking for a used one.

Just FYI, I have one for sale. It's been in storage for a while and I am selling it to get money for other things in life.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-10-09, 09:49 AM
gdcheng
Driver

Do you want full exhaust or just axle-back. I say if you want just axel-back and don't want it too loud like HKS Hi Power or too quiet like Tanabe, get the Greddy SE. That is if you like the look of the burnt tips. I am happy with mine. Nice deep rumble at low RPM's and when you get on it, not loud and ricey.
Old 09-10-09, 10:47 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you all for your suggestions.
KI_GSE21 im new to this site but once i figure out how to work with it i will get in touch with you about that exhaust!
Old 09-10-09, 12:46 PM
IS_350
Rookie

PTS True Dual Joe Z exhaust FTW
Old 09-10-09, 04:51 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
I had the Borla on my IS350 and I am very happy with it. The drone is very minor, mainly between 1500-2000rpm. Because it is a true dual exhaust the eliminates the secondary cats, it produces a sporty exhaust note. It's not crazy loud, but is not too quiet. Fitment was very good, except I removed the heat shield underneath the car to avoid rattling issues. Not that big of a problem if you ask me. When I am putting aftermarket parts on my IS, I don't expect the fitment to be 100% on par with OEM parts/configuration.

I did not have to bend any mounts as the shop managed to put all the piping together at ease. Some WD-40 would definately help when sliding all the pipes together. It is a pretty expensive exhaust brand new, so if you are looking to pick one up, I would recommend looking for a used one.

Just FYI, I have one for sale. It's been in storage for a while and I am selling it to get money for other things in life.

Good luck with your decision.
would deleting the secondary cats increase population or not much?
Old 09-10-09, 07:16 PM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by alan003
Hardly, nothing compared to those disgustingly loud motorcycles and muscle cars. Our motors are efficient, they would easily pass the sniffer test during smog without the secondary cats.
Old 09-10-09, 08:08 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gc86
Hardly, nothing compared to those disgustingly loud motorcycles and muscle cars. Our motors are efficient, they would easily pass the sniffer test during smog without the secondary cats.

seriously right? not to be hatin or anything but those harleys give out a nasty loud sounds! back to the topic, would i notice an increase in sound if i remove secondary cats? what would be the best? (remove resonator or midmuffler or sec. cats)
Old 09-10-09, 08:28 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by alan003
Yes removing secondary cats gets you more ladies, and that does increase the population.

Honestly it should still pass smog sniff test, may not pass visual though.
Old 09-10-09, 09:23 PM
alan003
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Yes removing secondary cats gets you more ladies, and that does increase the population.
LOL will delete my sec. cats!

Quick Reply: Any Thoughts on a Borla Exhaust