Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Intake - solution to heat condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-09, 12:13 PM
avincent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Sport Intake - solution to heat condition

I've installed the F-Sport Cold Air intake on my 09 IS250 and noticed that the aluminium tube gets very hot and that has to be heating up the air flowing through it. Also, it was a bit too loud for my taste.

My solution for both problems was to install a heat shield and I must say, the "drone" noise was reduced and it seems that the car performs a bit better. The best way to describe the performance is, more responsive.

This is all just my opinion and wanted to share.......

The product I installed available at http://www.thermotec.com/cool-air-tube-heat-shield.html.... Others are available if you do a search on "Cold air heat shield"
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Intake - solution to heat condition-temp2.jpg   F-Sport Intake - solution to heat condition-temp.jpg  
Old 09-13-09, 12:24 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

seems like a bit overkill..
Old 09-13-09, 02:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by avincent
I've installed the F-Sport Cold Air intake on my 09 IS250 and noticed that the aluminium tube gets very hot and that has to be heating up the air flowing through it.
It really doesn't.

The air isn't in the tube long enough for heat to transfer to it.

Originally Posted by avincent
My solution for both problems was to install a heat shield and I must say, the "drone" noise was reduced and it seems that the car performs a bit better. The best way to describe the performance is, more responsive.

This is all just my opinion and wanted to share.......

The product I installed available at http://www.thermotec.com/cool-air-tube-heat-shield.html.... Others are available if you do a search on "Cold air heat shield"

Any performance gain was entirely in your imagination... it's funny though because you imagined one when you made the car quieter, most people imagine one when they do something that causes no measurable gain but makes the car louder.
Old 09-13-09, 03:17 PM
avincent
Driver School Candidate

Good point Kurtz. I didn't like that "drone" sound and now that it's quieter, perhaps I do feel that it performs better. Either way, these cold air intakes don't really give extra HP. Possible 3-5 at best.
Old 09-13-09, 11:07 PM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not feeling it. You cover up nice looking aluminium tube with F-Sport logo on it; and you also reduce the nice instake sound. Not sure why don't you keep stock intake or get cheaper one but more expensive F-Sport.
Old 09-14-09, 01:42 AM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks kinda ghetto bro :\

but at least you're being innovative
Old 09-14-09, 03:52 AM
avincent
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I thought I keeping the "cold" in Cold Air Induction but now that I hear everyone's feedback, it sounds like I may have been overthinking and talking myself into a problem that never existed.

Much appreciated all!