Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Joe Z for $100 or F-Sport for $320

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 09:41 PM
Phiber
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
Well, they're idiots.
Why? Just because they want a louder exhaust which automatically make them idiots?

In other words, rice.
Then I guess modifying a car cosmetically is rice to begin with for you. Anything cosmetic most likely will add weight instead of performance.

Sounds louder. Again, makes the same if not less power. At least the JoeZ is dyno tested. I revert back to rice on this one. CARB legal? I doubt you'll run into any issues getting an inspection with a JoeZ since it's about as sleep as it gets and does the same exact thing the F-Sport does. It is an intake tube for cryin' out loud. Mess with your warranty? Unless Lexus can prove that your blown engine was the cause of an intake swap, guess what? Warranty intact.
Why wouldn't it make the same power? Dyno doesn't come cheap. If someone pays me $40 I am more than happy to dyno my car with stock and then with F-sport intake.

If you don't live in California I don't think you understand how **** the cops here are. I have countless fix-it ticket for my exhaust which is just slightly louder than stock on my previous car. When the police pulled me over, he requested for me to pop my hood, etc.

I rather have my warranty not voided. Well the intake area. Because I have tampered with navigation. Well guess what, the warranty on the navigation is now voided. Whenever I get a invoice from service, on the bottom it says that my warranty is voided. I am not planning to keep my IS350 10 years. I am planning to sell it within a few years and do not want the buyer to not deter from buying my car because the warranty is voided.
You're making it sound like this is a cam swap or something. Again, $320 for unknown gains, or $120 for a proven 5rwhp. I rest my case.
Many of us want sound or else it would be pointless in buying an exhaust to begin with..How much do most exhaust yield on a N/A car? not much and it costs alot of money. Obviously, you have a different philosophy than me.

Last edited by Phiber; 09-17-09 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 01:47 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ with all due respect, but your post has some serious red flags.

to quote the lexus website on f-sport part warranty:

F-Sport™ Performance Accessories are aftermarket parts and are not Genuine Lexus Parts and, therefore, may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Lexus Parts. F-Sport™ Accessories are warranted for 12 months from the date of installation or for the balance of the new-car or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) warranty in force at the date of installation, whichever is greater, when installed by an authorized Lexus dealer. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. F-Sport™ Accessories installed by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer are warranted for 12 months from the date of purchase only, and the warranty coverage is limited to the replacement value of the F-Sport™ Accessory. This warranty does not cover maintenance services such as replacement of brake pads/linings and clutch linings. This warranty does not cover noise, vibration, cosmetic conditions and other deterioration caused by normal wear and tear. Part failure caused by improper installation by anyone other than an authorized Lexus dealer may void the F-Sport™ Accessory warranty, the new-vehicle warranty or both.
so to summarize ^:
- 12 months or remainder of factory warranty, whichever is greater - if and only if it is installed at a certified lexus dealer/service center
- 12 months standalone warranty if it's installed elsewhere

and some more info on the warranty on the 2is, from, again, the lexus website:

The Basic Warranty coverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
The Powertrain Warranty is for 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
(note: certain exceptions apply, see lexus.com for more details)

this is not to knock on the f-sport intake or f-sport parts in general. the f-sport parts line-up is top-notch, but there are misconceptions about the warranty on f-sport parts. by the time you're ready to sell your 2is "in a few years", unless you bought a 3rd-party extended warranty contract for your 2is, there isn't going to be much of a warranty left on it - if it's still in effect.

correct me if i'm wrong, if people buy loud(er) exhaust systems and loud(er) intake systems for more sound and for a better sound, isn't it more likely to attract unwanted attention, and as such have a higher likelihood that you'll get pulled over? and how is modding for a better "sound" not idiot-like?

oh, and if an officer asks you to pop the hood, guess which intake he's going to call suspect on, a shiny CHROME intake pipe or an inconspicuous black intake pipe? even if it is CARB certified/exempt, want to try and explain that one to mr. police officer? hmm?

again, none of this is to discourage anyone who either already has an f-sport intake or plans to buy one in the future. however, if you're going to argue the merits of the f-sport intake, at least get the facts right and not contract "foot in mouth" disease.

Last edited by projectdna; 09-18-09 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-18-09, 04:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, honestly, if anyone wants to bring the BS "warranty" business into the discussion then it has to switch from $120 vs. $320 to $120 vs. $500 because you have to include the rape charge of the dealer installing it.

Only reason I have an F-sport intake over the Joe Z? At the time the MS Cashback deal was at 30% or so, and it was on sale via a dealer on ebay, so I effectively paid under $200 for it. The Joe Z, plus a reusable filter, would've been almost the same cost... and I figured whenever I get rid of the car I can re-sell the F-sport intake for more money than the $10-20 bucks I'd have saved going JoeZ+my own filter.

At full price for the F-sport I wouldn't have even considered it over the Joe Z.
Old 09-18-09, 06:39 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Just wait for Sewell to drop the price on it and you can pick it up for around $200. Who wants to buy the filter and then drill holes in a box? Too much work.
Old 09-18-09, 07:03 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
and how is modding for a better "sound" not idiot-like?
To be fair, its entirely subjective-- meaning it requires no real justification as a reason for purchase, if it was the persons full intention and not done out of ignorance.

A number of car makes, for example, implement R&D to make the intake/exhaust note more pleasant, or just the opposite, less audible. At one point, I decided my other car was too loud, so I took this into account, and made some purchasing decisions with consideration for less sound (even if it sacrificed performance)…and on the IS, which was far more silent, I decided I could alternatively live with more sound (in tandem with some other goals). Some people prefer to broaden their appeal to include more aspects of the car, including what sounds come from it. I don't agree with Phibers opinion but I don't believe his reasons are wildly off base, either.

again, none of this is to discourage anyone who either already has an f-sport intake or plans to buy one in the future. however, if you're going to argue the merits of the f-sport intake, at least get the facts right and not contract "foot in mouth" disease.
Agreed.
Old 09-18-09, 07:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

For All you exisiting "Joe Z Intake Pipe" owners...

CL Vendor Sewell Lexus has put together a Special package deal of just the Lower Air Box with Filter... $188 normal price and $165 with promo code

Originally Posted by VikH
Who wants to buy the filter and then drill holes in a box? Too much work.
^^ I agree Vik!!!

At the track my modified oem airbox with "Hole", slowed down my overall MPH on each 1/4 mile run...
Compared to the closed airbox on back to back runs.
(No surprise there, maybe because the box is not all smooth.....)

HOWEVER, for daily driving it does sound Amazing and only took about 5 minutes with a dremel..

Regards,
- Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Joe Z for 0 or F-Sport for 0-dscn2378a.jpg   Joe Z for 0 or F-Sport for 0-dscn2383a.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-18-09 at 07:47 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 09-18-09, 10:04 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ I agree Vik!!!

At the track my modified oem airbox with "Hole", slowed down my overall MPH on each 1/4 mile run...
Compared to the closed airbox on back to back runs.
(No surprise there, maybe because the box is not all smooth.....)

HOWEVER, for daily driving it does sound Amazing and only took about 5 minutes with a dremel..

Regards,
- Joe Z
Intertesting. Should have done Joe-z intake with filter and stock box vs. F-Sport intake package.
Old 09-18-09, 04:35 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phiber
Why? Just because they want a louder exhaust which automatically make them idiots?
What? No. You're justifying spending $200 more for an intake because it's louder. Are. You. Kidding. Me? It is an INTAKE. $320 for 5rwhp, you need your head checked.
Then I guess modifying a car cosmetically is rice to begin with for you. Anything cosmetic most likely will add weight instead of performance.
You're talking sound vs. looks now. I agree that different exhausts give different sounds, and people buy different exhausts to fit their tastes, but intakes? Really? 99 times out of 100, I buy the exhaust that gives the best proven results, then secondly look at price. If it sounds good, great. If it sounds atrocious, I'll look for something else. Again, I don't see the justification on spending over $300 for an intake just because it's a tee wee bit louder than a much cheaper one that has been dyno-tested.

Why wouldn't it make the same power? Dyno doesn't come cheap. If someone pays me $40 I am more than happy to dyno my car with stock and then with F-sport intake.
That's your prerogative homie. The F-Sport hasn't been dyno'd. The Joe-Z has. Next.

If you don't live in California I don't think you understand how **** the cops here are. I have countless fix-it ticket for my exhaust which is just slightly louder than stock on my previous car. When the police pulled me over, he requested for me to pop my hood, etc.
Then MOVE. If you choose to live in Kommiefornia you have to pay the price of ridiculously liberal DOT laws and abide by the law of modding that says buy only 50-state DOT legal crap. Sucks for you, but I don't wanna hear about it.

I rather have my warranty not voided. Well the intake area.
Right, for that odd chance your intake explodes one day... right? LOL. WTF are you getting at dude?

Because I have tampered with navigation. Well guess what, the warranty on the navigation is now voided. Whenever I get a invoice from service, on the bottom it says that my warranty is voided. I am not planning to keep my IS350 10 years. I am planning to sell it within a few years and do not want the buyer to not deter from buying my car because the warranty is voided.
What are you saying here dude? You messed with nav, now it's voided, now your vehicle warranty is voided, but you don't want another buyer to see that... uh... what? You're not making sense here man.

Here's my question - HOW HARD is it to change intakes on your car before you take it in for service? I mean, REALLY?

Many of us want sound or else it would be pointless in buying an exhaust to begin with..How much do most exhaust yield on a N/A car? not much and it costs alot of money. Obviously, you have a different philosophy than me.
Whoa, hold your horses there, hoss. Maybe on this factory high strung 3.5L an exhaust doesn't yield much; that's not true across the board. Go do your research before you start pretending like you know something about cars.
Old 09-18-09, 11:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by four o two
What? No. You're justifying spending $200 more for an intake because it's louder. Are. You. Kidding. Me? It is an INTAKE. $320 for 5rwhp, you need your head checked.

You're talking sound vs. looks now. I agree that different exhausts give different sounds, and people buy different exhausts to fit their tastes, but intakes? Really? 99 times out of 100, I buy the exhaust that gives the best proven results, then secondly look at price. If it sounds good, great. If it sounds atrocious, I'll look for something else. Again, I don't see the justification on spending over $300 for an intake just because it's a tee wee bit louder than a much cheaper one that has been dyno-tested.

That's your prerogative homie. The F-Sport hasn't been dyno'd. The Joe-Z has. Next.

Then MOVE. If you choose to live in Kommiefornia you have to pay the price of ridiculously liberal DOT laws and abide by the law of modding that says buy only 50-state DOT legal crap. Sucks for you, but I don't wanna hear about it.

Right, for that odd chance your intake explodes one day... right? LOL. WTF are you getting at dude?

What are you saying here dude? You messed with nav, now it's voided, now your vehicle warranty is voided, but you don't want another buyer to see that... uh... what? You're not making sense here man.

Here's my question - HOW HARD is it to change intakes on your car before you take it in for service? I mean, REALLY?

Whoa, hold your horses there, hoss. Maybe on this factory high strung 3.5L an exhaust doesn't yield much; that's not true across the board. Go do your research before you start pretending like you know something about cars.
This topic has been beat to death already. What is the point of arguing? We all have different preferences. What you like might not be the same for other people or else there wouldn't be all these different companies still in business making different type of intake/exhaust for cars.

The F-sport intake is $260 from sewell and many people had grabbed it for under $200 from ebay live.com cashback last year. So it isn't much of a difference here.

I am one of those people who rather prefer a nicer sound when WOT instead of that quiet stock sound. I had CAI on all my previous cars and enjoyed it.

I bought the F-sport intake because it was cheap compared to the actual MSRP of the intake. I would also have a "peace of mind" knowing that it is carb legal and keeps my warranty intact.

end of discussion, we all have different opinions. It is just like choosing a option on a car. Some prefer navigation and some doesn't. Some people want black some people want white.
Old 09-18-09, 11:30 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I bought the F-sport intake because it was cheap compared to the actual MSRP of the intake. I would also have a "peace of mind" knowing that it is carb legal and keeps my warranty intact.
if you didn't know about how the f-sport warranty works in conjunction to the factory warranty, here's a heads-up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4856081-post32.html

so if you had an f-sport part and you fubar'd the install, not only is the f-sport part NOT covered under the f-sport warranty, it would even void your factory warranty.

just a thought.
Old 09-25-09, 12:08 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i would just like to point something out. the dealer closest to me, still doesnt carry f-sport parts, they have to be special ordered and oh yeah if you order them from the dealer, guess what they wont install it for you. Ok, so lets review all of that my dealer doesnt keep any of the f-sport stuff in stock and will not install if i have them special order it. projectdna has already gone over what happens when your f-sport parts are not installed by the dealer. moving on, my car is highly modified, the dealer knows this. when i need warranty work, they know that to refuse any warranty work they have to prove it, first. keep in mind this is a dealership that is averse to anything that involves modifications. If you get pulled over by police i can guarantee you that if you tell them "its carb certified" and they are planning on giving you a ticket anyways, that will only anoy them more. if a cop wants to give you a ticket for your modifications, they can find a lot of reasons to write a ticket, there isnt much you can do to stop it. And before you whine and complain about cops harassing you and such, the cops are a lot better then they were years ago, when just about every PD in so cal would ticket you for anything they could think of. Point is just because its f-sport doesnt mean its better then anything else on the market.

oh yea.....Joe Z polished and HKS filter FTW!
Old 09-25-09, 12:39 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

a lot of people have like cannon like exhaust on their cars, the cops didn't have any issues with them. when you stop right next to those cars, you can feel your car is vibrating from the loudness of their exhaust. the F sport intake is absolutely NOT louder than those cannon like exhaust it is atleast 5 times quieter. also, the only time i can hear my intake in the city is by going over the speed limit or fast acceleration. which both of these cases can get you a ticket, but not the intake itself.

also lexus claims that the F sport intake Adds 10% of performance, so thats about 3wHP.

Sry Lexus claim there is a 3% Gain

Last edited by someboy; 09-25-09 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 02:19 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by someboy
also lexus claims that the F sport intake Adds 10% of performance, so thats about 3wHP.
to save you time on the discussion, i've done the math for you.

based on your "10% performance increase" claim for the f-sport intake, for ~$260 you get a "claimed" 3 hp gain - which means you're spending $86.66 per hp increase.

looking at the joe-z intake, for ~$120, you get a "dyno-tested AND proven" 6 hp gain, which comes out to $20 per hp increase.

i'll let you dwell on that for a moment.
Old 09-25-09, 06:56 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
i'll let you dwell on that for a moment.
I'm still dwelling on how a 10% performance gain on an IS350 amounts to 3rwhp...Lexus owes us some power.
Old 09-25-09, 09:33 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Personally I got the f sport not for the whp gain. I just want f sport goodies on my car and when I pop my hood people acutally said dam your intake looks nice. Haha so I guess I wAsted 300 dollars for cosmetic looks and sound

Last edited by someboy; 09-25-09 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Joe Z for $100 or F-Sport for $320