Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blitz or K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-10, 08:31 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question for those that have changed the drop-in. Have you noticed any changes in gas mileage, or anything else? Or did you get the filter for peace of mind knowing your filter is of better quality than OEM?
Old 05-11-10, 09:39 AM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you just have a Joe-Z pipe or F-Sport intake with the OEM filter, will the performance gain not be as good?
Old 05-11-10, 10:42 AM
cdeeznuts
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Question for those that have changed the drop-in. Have you noticed any changes in gas mileage, or anything else? Or did you get the filter for peace of mind knowing your filter is of better quality than OEM?
Originally Posted by IStwofifty
If you just have a Joe-Z pipe or F-Sport intake with the OEM filter, will the performance gain not be as good?
Engine air filters do not necessarily "create" a performance gain more than they are there to help ensure optimal performance by providing a less restrictive air flow while maintaining filtration. There is very little difference in the amount of air that one filter allows over another, and so are the difference in gains comparing one to another, not to mention our engines are pretty efficient with the air it does get in the first place. So no one can definitively say K&N is better than Blitz or what not, in reality, you really won't notice too much difference. I'm sure if someone really wanted to they could dyno and blah blah blah, but that's too much work for something that is soo minimal in terms of "gains". If you compare with the OEM filter, the answer is yes, OEM will be not be as good, that has been tested.

IMO, its like comparing filtered water. You can go as basic as boiling water, or paper filters, or go through carbon filters, or reverse osmosis. The end result is still water, and your body will use it all the same. Now how much contaminants are in there? Only through testing can you check, but you would still notice a little taste difference. For me I prefer to have a little better than oem in my drinking water, so goes it for my car. I also probably function better with clean water than not.
Old 05-11-10, 11:13 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

There is no performance gain but they (Both) filter as good as OEM (As per my UOAs). The main advantage is they are lifetime filters and they produce a little more intake noise (Purr).

Koz
Old 05-11-10, 09:58 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the f-sport filter dry?
Old 05-13-10, 03:18 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dropped in Blitz, packaging looks cool. Filter looks cool, and took 5 minutes. Got it for peace of mind and better quality filter and possible sound change at WOT.
Old 05-15-10, 04:05 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the F-sport intake. From what i was told by a lexus service associate was that using stock filter in place of F-sport filter has more air flow??? The "increased flow" might cause a check engine light to go on.

Someone confirm this..
Old 05-16-10, 07:06 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Dropped in Blitz, packaging looks cool. Filter looks cool, and took 5 minutes. Got it for peace of mind and better quality filter and possible sound change at WOT.
how many miles is the blitz filter good for? how do you clean it? soap water and air dry?
Old 05-18-10, 08:26 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^I heard the blitz air filter was good for 45k total. at 30k you clean it and you can get 15k more. I'll try to find the post that said that. I mentioned it earlier in the thread. I want to know the details on the cleaning too
Old 05-18-10, 11:46 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nsxiboi
I have the F-sport intake. From what i was told by a lexus service associate was that using stock filter in place of F-sport filter has more air flow??? The "increased flow" might cause a check engine light to go on.

Someone confirm this..
can't confirm or deny it.

however, considering that the f-sport intake box is nothing more than an oem intake box that's been modified w/ an additional air inlet hole, i doubt that using the oem air filter in place of the f-sport filter will cause the ECU to throw a check engine light.

that, and if the f-sport intake was so performance oriented, you'd think it had better flow properties than the oem air filter.

while a lot of ^ is conjecture, i'd be surprised if the oem filter in an f-sport intake box did more harm than good.
Old 12-31-10, 01:12 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

i woudnt worry about oil getting into the MAF sensor, plus theres that extra carbon filter for anymore moisture to be absorbed
Old 12-31-10, 01:20 PM
BelaRuski
Driver School Candidate

I've always used K&N air filters in all my cars and they work great. I have never had a single issue. They're easy to clean and oil up and supposedly last forever.

I just cleaned my K&N a couple days ago and you can feel the difference. It's a slight increase in air. I could notice when I kicked her down from a full stop that it was pushing more air through.

Of course you're not going to get the full affect if you don't change the stock air box to an upgraded cold air intake. But I feel that the stock design is pretty good also.
Old 12-31-10, 06:19 PM
jaxxx
Pole Position

Sound difference??