Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tom's Low Temp Thermostat.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 08:45 PM
feras430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom's Low Temp Thermostat.

Hi guyz, if i live in place like michigan which it is snowing and the Temp is down all the time do i realy need that Tom's thermostat, do i realy need to lower my engin Temp. i have 01 gs430. thanks for all people who's going to respond.
Old 09-19-09, 10:00 PM
fordsvtmfl
Lexus Test Driver

no, you dont need to lower it period, no matter where you live.
Old 09-20-09, 06:21 PM
feras430
Driver School Candidate

Default ???

Originally Posted by fordsvtmfl
no, you dont need to lower it period, no matter where you live.
can you just tell me wye is that? i've done a recearch abut it but no damege for the engin
Old 09-21-09, 05:11 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Only time you need it is if you take your car around the road course race track often. Or if you do back to back hot laps at the drag strip, it is recommended as well. The whole purpose of the low temp thermostat is to give the cooling system an extra margin on heat capacity. Say you have a 170F thermo(that's what I have in my car, the TRD one). After one pass down the drag strip, you will probably be at around 190F. If you go back and hot lap a second time without waiting for cool down, the next lap will put you at around 210F or so. The lap after that you will be at 230F, and then you need to cool down at that point. You get 3 runs before needing a cool down. Now if you're on a standard 190F thermo, you would need a cool down after one or two passes. It's recommended to fully cool down between every pass to get the maximum power but in some race events, long cool downs are not allowed. On a road course track, you can push the car harder between cool downs and not risk overheating as much.

The cooling system in my car is pretty robust(heavily upgraded) so I've never overheated at the track. One time I did 6 back to back hot laps at the drag strip and my temp kept steady at around 210F. On the road course my temps usually hover around 200-210F average.

So in short...you don't need a low temp thermo unless you are tracking your car or taking it to the drag strip often
Old 09-21-09, 07:57 PM
feras430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Only time you need it is if you take your car around the road course race track often. Or if you do back to back hot laps at the drag strip, it is recommended as well. The whole purpose of the low temp thermostat is to give the cooling system an extra margin on heat capacity. Say you have a 170F thermo(that's what I have in my car, the TRD one). After one pass down the drag strip, you will probably be at around 190F. If you go back and hot lap a second time without waiting for cool down, the next lap will put you at around 210F or so. The lap after that you will be at 230F, and then you need to cool down at that point. You get 3 runs before needing a cool down. Now if you're on a standard 190F thermo, you would need a cool down after one or two passes. It's recommended to fully cool down between every pass to get the maximum power but in some race events, long cool downs are not allowed. On a road course track, you can push the car harder between cool downs and not risk overheating as much.

The cooling system in my car is pretty robust(heavily upgraded) so I've never overheated at the track. One time I did 6 back to back hot laps at the drag strip and my temp kept steady at around 210F. On the road course my temps usually hover around 200-210F average.

So in short...you don't need a low temp thermo unless you are tracking your car or taking it to the drag strip often
nice now i know what is going on thanks for the info. so i think i need it