Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 07:26 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations

To help the CL community, I figured I'd give my observations of the differences between the Tanabe Medallion and F-sport exhaust systems.

This is going to be in reference to sound only, since anyone can look at pictures and see the difference.

First, let's set the scene:
I had the Tanabe on my 06 IS350 sedan, and now have the F-sport on my IS350C vert.
So, we are dealing with three possible variables: 1) sedan vs vert; 2) vert is still in break-in (only 400 miles), and 3) the y-split between the two exhausts is different

But, here are my findings nonetheless....from what I remember with the Tanabe on the sedan

1) There is an obvious tone difference. The Tanabe had a more "bass" tone compared to the F-sport. The Tanabe seemed to have a deep pur, while the f-sport seems to be a little more raspy/throaty, if you will (maybe like a z car or g35???)

2) There is an noticeable sound level difference, but not what you expect.
--At idle, the F-sport seems quieter than the Tanabe. At traffic lights/etc, you barely hear it. From what I remember, the Tanabe had a little pur when at lights.
--At low load/light acceleration, the Tanabe was LOUDER than the F-sport. For example, when accelerating up a slight incline, the Tanabe seemed to drone/be a little obnoxious (although it wasn't really too bad as there wasn't pressure, it was just loud). However, the f-sport isn't too bad at all relative to the Tanabe. Since the F-sport is a little higher pitched, it doesn't seem to be as loud and annoying.
--At moderate to heavy acceleration, however, the story changes. The F-sport seems noticeably louder than the Tanabe. With the Tanabe, the exhaust note seemed to only be heard up to about 3-4K rpm, and then went away in lieu of the intake noise. The f-sport, on the other hand, is not the same. Under heavy acceleration, you hear that AND the intake all the way through the rev range. And, that note seems louder that what the Tanabe was.

All in all, I was very pleased with the Tanabe, and think it's a great system. In fact, had the Tanabe fit on the vert, I wouldn't have anything to write about, cause I would have kept it. But, I'm even more pleased with the F-sport.

However, IMO, I would NOT recommend selling the Tanabe to buy the F-sport if all you want is a louder exhaust. To me, it isn't louder unless you're in conditions that require more throttle, and it isn't -that- much louder to justify the cost.

Again, just my opinions and observations. Also, please keep in mind that this is all in relation to just these two exhaust systems, so adjectives such as obnoxious or annoying are only with regard to comparing one to the other.

EDIT: SEE SEDAN COMPARISON HERE: sedan f-sport vs tanabe

Last edited by mikes rx; 12-08-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-23-09, 08:12 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

very nice write up. from what i have read i heard from people that tannabe is quiet from about 3.5k-4k, thankyou for the info
Old 09-23-09, 09:56 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info and write up. A great addition to the Tanabe vs. F-Sport exhaust debate.
Old 09-26-09, 07:05 PM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good post. There are about 200 other posts like this... but not many with worthwhile substance like this.

Very helpful.
Old 09-26-09, 07:23 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by TommySC
Good post. There are about 200 other posts like this... but not many with worthwhile substance like this.

Very helpful.
Thanks. That's actually why I posted it......I had done a lot of reading/researching on CL when I found out that the tanabe wouldn't fit the vert, as I had read that the f-sport was much louder than the tanabe, and that everyone wished they had the f-sport for that reason.

But, my results didn't seem to mirror the other posts, which is why I wanted to post it up. I wanted to give a real before/after opinion.
Old 09-29-09, 10:48 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

any observations of 'throatyness' or 'growl' between the two?
Old 09-29-09, 11:03 AM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
any observations of 'throatyness' or 'growl' between the two?
Yeah, the Tanabe sounded deeper, whereas the F-sport is a little raspier, almost like a Ferrari-type sound.
Old 09-29-09, 11:15 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

OP gave a pretty good comparison between the two. I also had Tanabe before I got Lexus HKS. Tanabe definitely has low bass sound and quite loud at 3500 rpm but quiets down beyond that...Lexus HKS almost don't make noise but when it does it has raspy almost like G35 tone but not as loud. The bass tone is there when idle but not as significant as Tanabe. I didn't like Tanabe because it was just too bassy at high rpm especially hill climb. I definitely recommend F-sport (or Lexus HKS) if you can find one.
Old 10-04-09, 03:01 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

thanks fo rthe info... i was trying to figure out what i should get for an exhauust for my 09 is250 the f sport or a cheaper on... i saw a video of the f sport on one of the lexus sites and it sounds good just cost a lot.... looks like i gotta spend the money
Old 10-04-09, 05:50 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

nice write up, the drone of the tanabe goes away with a nice midpipe, or customizing the stock one
Old 12-08-11, 10:54 AM
mikes rx

bumping this up since there seems to be a lot of questions lately about sound comparisons

also I added link to mdgrwl's comparison in my first post