Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo or Supercharge??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09 | 08:58 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELL Y
Uh oh.
*waits for the IS350 guys to come rushing in to tell you to get the IS350 because it's the easiest and cheapest way by far*

seriously.
Want to go fast... Buy a corvette.
Want to be a youtube legend... Keep your is250 and find a way to put a Lsx in a Mini Cooper
Old 09-26-09 | 11:03 AM
kbh
Pole Position

i think the best way is to have a engine swap
Old 09-26-09 | 12:53 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by kbh
i think the best way is to have a engine swap
Which also won't work if you want anything else in the car to work.

Only two attempts I'm aware of are the Falken drift team, who just decided it was a race car so who cares if none of the luxury features work (and they didn't)... But the guy who built that car did say that anyone who DID want the rest of the stuff to work was in for a nightmarish amount of labor and wiring and custom trial and error.

Other is the dude in Miami who had already put over $50,000 into the swap, still didn't have it working, and at last report was moving the car to a different shop who claimed they could do it, but no results I'm aware of.
Old 09-26-09 | 01:02 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

i would so bummed to put that kinda of money into an isx50 and not have it. i would just get the isf for what he put into that car. and just be happy with 383hp to the wheels
Old 09-26-09 | 04:19 PM
P34R1
Rookie

you get a lot of **** on here for asking about turboing an is250... nevermind all the bashing and the "go buy another car" way of thinking. im having a turbo custom made for my is250. will add about 100hp boost. including everything (even professional installation and professional tuning) its going to cost me about $6000. what ya think?
Old 09-26-09 | 04:27 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by P34R1
you get a lot of **** on here for asking about turboing an is250... nevermind all the bashing and the "go buy another car" way of thinking. im having a turbo custom made for my is250. will add about 100hp boost. including everything (even professional installation and professional tuning) its going to cost me about $6000. what ya think?
I want to see it first before I say anything

A lot of people saying stuff, but never go through.
Old 09-26-09 | 04:31 PM
P34R1
Rookie

yea well the only thing holding me back right now is the pricetag. It even comes with a WARRANTY!! so if anything goes wrong (like my engine blowing up ) they will take care of all of the repairs free of charge. but hey, 6k is 6k....
Old 09-26-09 | 04:34 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

yea well the only thing holding me back right now is the pricetag. It even comes with a WARRANTY!! so if anything goes wrong (like my engine blowing up ) they will take care of all of the repairs free of charge. but hey, 6k is 6k....
Turbo set-up for 6k with warranty? hmm sound fishy too me. But anyways I want to see it before I can say anything. I actually want you to do it so you'll be the first to talk about it
Old 09-26-09 | 04:39 PM
P34R1
Rookie

naa its not fishy i know the guys so they're giving me a pretty good (....) price. if i didnt just spend almost 1k on lawyer/ticket fee's i'd be doing it for sure.

haha oh great so im trailblazing for all the other isx50'ers who want a turbo set???? you should all give me a few hundred $'s to be the first to try it.....
Old 09-26-09 | 04:42 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

honestly, for another $6k, you might as well get an is350 for the power increase.

btw, there are plenty of members in the past who have made claims of wanting/planning to do this or that with the intent of lofty goals. all of it is talk until there are some visible, tangible results.

and you know what they say about talk... it's cheap.

it's okay if you're new to the 2is owners' club (welcome, btw), but please do the right amount of research before coming onto the boards and trying to impress us with "talk". the majority of us knows what works and what doesn't - and you're proposing something that simply won't happen without VERY DEEP POCKETS.

at that point, forget the is350... go get yourself an is-f for the amount of money you'll have to put into a one-off turbocharger system in your 2is and try to attain that goal of +100hp.
Old 09-26-09 | 04:52 PM
P34R1
Rookie

its amusing to me that you think i came here to impress anyone. i joined before i even saw this thread. the mood here was pretty light until you showed up. thank u
thread deaded.
Old 09-26-09 | 06:10 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

naa its not fishy i know the guys so they're giving me a pretty good (....) price. if i didnt just spend almost 1k on lawyer/ticket fee's i'd be doing it for sure.

haha oh great so im trailblazing for all the other isx50'ers who want a turbo set???? you should all give me a few hundred $'s to be the first to try it.....
first to turbo a ISx50? you my friend are brave
Old 09-26-09 | 06:33 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

First, I think for $2000 less you could've added 100 hp by buying a 350 instead of a 250, and kept the factory warranty doing so.

Second, I think you're not going to get 100hp from a turbo kit on a 250 for $6000. I'm sure someone is telling you that, but it's simply not possible.

100 hp is a lot of boost.

You have an engine with 12:1 compression.

There's no magic that fixes that for anything approaching a sane cost.
Old 09-27-09 | 03:51 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

its amusing to me that you think i came here to impress anyone. i joined before i even saw this thread. the mood here was pretty light until you showed up. thank u
thread deaded.
those that have responded have attempted to tell you the same thing i have said, except it appears the message didn't register with you then. i even have doubts whether it will ever.

firstly, irrespective of the level of sarcasm in the context of your earlier posts, calling yourself a "trailblazer" is a huge stretch. had you actually used the search function, you would've found that there is another member - Wierdazndu - whose car is currently at turbochargers.com for them to fabricate a one-off turbo kit for his 2is. granted, updates are hard to come by, but at the very least there's evidence that he's committed to turbocharging his 2is.

and just to remind you what you have, all you got is a claim that a shop will fabricate a one-off turbo kit for $6k and that they will warranty your car. i'm sorry, but - again - i am not impressed, because many have talked the talk before, making ridiculous claims. and as i said earlier, talk is cheap.

secondly, there are NUMEROUS threads that have brought up the subject regarding forced induction for the 2is, and all of those threads have proven that it is not a cheap proposition by any means - and i'm not even sure $6k is enough. supercharger kits are rare as it is, and they are limited by the ECU programming and the high compression ratio. assuming you can actually put together a turbo kit for $6k, you're going to be very disappointed by how much power you're going to put out.

if my response has touched off a nerve with you, maybe you should try looking at the other threads and seeing if what i am saying is true or if i'm just blowing smoke.
Old 09-27-09 | 06:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Guys, let's take personal component of the back and forth to PM please and keep the thread on topic

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharge??