Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

STS Turbos for a GS400 (not GS300)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 06:28 AM
SUPRAboy80
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbos for a GS400 (not GS300)

Hey all,

This topic has been discussed here before but after reading all of the posts and checking STS's website on the new pricing for the universal kit... http://ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems It seems worth taking a look at...

$1695 for a single turbo system? Not bad... Of course you have to figure out piping and fuel management depending on your hp numbers...

1. The V8 cars are the ones with the space issues in the engine bay.

2. Many people were concerned with ground clearance issues.... but it seems to me that they were not taking into consideration the fact that when running the STS system on the car you LOSE the mufflers... The system tucks up where the mufflers were....

3. As far as water goes.... they have a snorkel system that relocates the air filter to a higher position.

Anyway I am wondering if anyone has actually done this yet or is considering it? It seems like something worth taking a closer look at... especially for those who want to turbo the V8. It could be a cheap way to boost your car to about 350-400whp... while still staying in that safe zone that cowb0y mentioned.

Please feel free to comment but keep the GS3 talk out of the convo as they have plenty of options for FI.... So V8 owners sound off!!!!

Thanks
Old 09-26-09, 09:15 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe its just me, but theres no way I would run a street driven car with my turbo sitting down there.

there is no inexpensive way to turbo a GS4, its an expensive proposition to do it right.
Old 09-26-09, 09:41 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well 1695 doesnt' include everything you need. You need Fuel Management, bigger headgasket and injectors (if going higher than 7 psi), blow off valve, and so on.

so you could make it work but I'd throw around 2k in parts and 2-4k in installation? Just my $.2
Old 09-26-09, 11:58 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Well 1695 doesnt' include everything you need. You need Fuel Management, bigger headgasket and injectors (if going higher than 7 psi), blow off valve, and so on.

so you could make it work but I'd throw around 2k in parts and 2-4k in installation? Just my $.2
He said no GS3 talk

It has been done before, to a V8 Lexus, just not on a GS, but I don't see what the big deal would be doing it. As for price, it would be cheaper then fabricating headers for engine comparment mount, but final price really comes dowm to what you want power wise and reliability.
Old 09-28-09, 05:01 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Corvettes run the twin turbo STS rear mount making all kinds of power. I'm running the STS on my silverado. The downside of the kit is their scavenger pump. If that goes out, you'll have an oil spill worse than the Exxon oil spill back in the day. I'm making 450whp on my silverado and its lots of fun. The piping wouldn't be too hard on a GS if you know what you're doing. There's a company that is running 12 psi on a GS400 turbo kit with a piggyback, no problems.... http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com/products_v3.htm

the site says 17psi but its a typo. I've called and spoke to them. I believe Morris knows these guys

Last edited by speedaddic; 09-28-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 05:25 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
Corvettes run the twin turbo STS rear mount making all kinds of power. I'm running the STS on my silverado. The downside of the kit is their scavenger pump. If that goes out, you'll have an oil spill worse than the Exxon oil spill back in the day. I'm making 450whp on my silverado and its lots of fun. The piping wouldn't be too hard on a GS if you know what you're doing. There's a company that is running 12 psi on a GS400 turbo kit with a piggyback, no problems.... http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com/products_v3.htm

the site says 17psi but its a typo. I've called and spoke to them. I believe Morris knows these guys
Great link! But why is it that the turbo kit for the GS400 is almost twice as expensive as all the others!
Old 09-29-09, 07:48 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

This has always been something i've wanted to do. Twin turbo a V8. It's not too bad if you can fabricate your own stuff. The turbo manifold design is pretty simple and straightfoward. The main concern on the GS4 is that you have to move the ECU box out of the engine bay and relocated it inside. If I ever get a gs4, then it's going to get the twins treatment

Trending Topics

Old 09-29-09, 04:32 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

500whp? wouldn't that destroy the tranny and rod?
Old 09-29-09, 05:40 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This has always been something i've wanted to do. Twin turbo a V8. It's not too bad if you can fabricate your own stuff. The turbo manifold design is pretty simple and straightfoward. The main concern on the GS4 is that you have to move the ECU box out of the engine bay and relocated it inside. If I ever get a gs4, then it's going to get the twins treatment
My ECU is still in the engine bay. We moved the battery to the trunk, moved the ecu to the old battery location. Even with this, you still have to lengthen the entire harness, pretty painstaking task. Space is an issue under the GS4's hood, but its doable.
Old 09-30-09, 11:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
jeff, i asked u several times bout any interest in doing a gs430 kit? so i'll ask again. any interest in doing a remote mount kit?
Old 02-27-12, 06:03 PM
LTizzo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if i need to rebuilt my tranny in order to keep up with my fully built motor n twin turbo hookup????