Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin turbo possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-09, 07:14 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said lobux, that's the direction i was going.
Old 10-26-09, 12:12 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know, if you actually look at most of cars that can get huge HP easy from turbo, TT or SC are cars with inline engines. EVO, sti, porsche 911 turbo( i believe), nissan GTR. i seen this Hk guy on the magazine modded his IS300 to 870 HP, but i think he threw in a tons of money inorder to do that compared to an inline engine it will probably cost you less. i lost this website, but they sell turbos, and they can boost an evo up to 600 Hp easy. also, i did some research, all of the articles supports that inline engines are supposely better than V but cost more money to make and takes up a lot of room in a car than a V engine. and if you actually think about inline does take up more room.

also even if we have more room in our engine bay, a Turbo or TT won't give our car a huge boost due to the design of our engine

Last edited by someboy; 10-26-09 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 02:21 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's because our compression ratios are something like 12:1, while most cars run 8:1 or 9:1, so they have room to boost.
Old 10-26-09, 01:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
it's because our compression ratios are something like 12:1, while most cars run 8:1 or 9:1, so they have room to boost.
Correct, the IS250 runs a compression of 12:1 while the IS350 runs 11.8:1 just fyi
Old 10-26-09, 02:18 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by someboy
i don't know, if you actually look at most of cars that can get huge HP easy from turbo, TT or SC are cars with inline engines. EVO, sti, porsche 911 turbo( i believe), nissan GTR. i seen this Hk guy on the magazine modded his IS300 to 870 HP, but i think he threw in a tons of money inorder to do that compared to an inline engine it will probably cost you less. i lost this website, but they sell turbos, and they can boost an evo up to 600 Hp easy. also, i did some research, all of the articles supports that inline engines are supposely better than V but cost more money to make and takes up a lot of room in a car than a V engine. and if you actually think about inline does take up more room.

also even if we have more room in our engine bay, a Turbo or TT won't give our car a huge boost due to the design of our engine
i'd like to see what kind of research that supports your claims, that an engine with its cylinders in an inline configuration is "better" than one w/ its cylinders in a different (V, flat, W) configuration.

just a few factory forced-induction vehicles NOT using the inline-cylinder configuration:

wrx sti (flat four - not inline)
300 ZX twin turbo (V6)
3000GT VR-4/dodge stealth (V6)
audi RS6 (V6)
skyline GTR R35 (V6)
911 twin turbo (flat six - not inline)
ferrari f40 (V8)
X5 M/X6 M (V8)
750i/li (V8)
corvette ZR-1 (V8)
ford GT (v8)
bugatti veyron (w16)
name any supercharged AMG car (V6/V8)

imo, the cylinder arrangement has more to do with weight distribution than power output.

/OT

not that it's not impossible, but twin-turbocharging the 2is V6 will require deep pockets and lowered expectations on power output. i think there are enough threads and posts to currently support this statement.
Old 10-26-09, 02:30 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

So y does the 2is need higher compression ratio to achieve the 200 and 300 hp?
Old 10-26-09, 04:54 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

So y does the 2is need higher compression ratio to achieve the 200 and 300 hp?

You might want to look up what compression ratio means, and does, and you'll probably have your own answer.
Old 10-26-09, 07:53 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i understand higher the compression ratio the more efficent the engine runs, i mean take the E46 for example, the compression ratio is 11:5:1, but they introduced a turbo or SC ( i forgot which one ) which give it a pretty good boost. i am just hoping that someday somebody is able to figure out a way to give the 2is a good boost also, thats all i am saying.
Old 10-27-09, 04:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah i understand higher the compression ratio the more efficent the engine runs, i mean take the E46 for example, the compression ratio is 11:5:1, but they introduced a turbo or SC ( i forgot which one ) which give it a pretty good boost. i am just hoping that someday somebody is able to figure out a way to give the 2is a good boost also, thats all i am saying.
The kit to get "good boost" on the E46 starts over $13,000, and is a completely different engine.... like "psi" just "compression ratio" doesn't tell you everything... (what's the block made of? what's the head made of? what's the fuel system like? what are the pistons, crank, and other internals made of? what about the piston sleeves and walls? etc)
Old 10-27-09, 09:14 AM
four o two
Intermediate

More efficient it runs? What? No. Raising compression is a means of squeezing out as much power as possible on a naturally aspirated engine. Supercharging and turbocharging essentially raises the engine's compression ratio once in the boost.

The internal design of the E46's engine is much different than the second gen IS. We're talking more details like the block design, piston walls, rotating assembly, method of fuel injection and how much fuel the stock system can handle, etc. All of these design considerations plus a myriad more come into play when you're thinking about going forced induction.

And the set up of the cylinders has nothing to do with the amount of power an engine can potentially make. Just because some platforms have been R&D'd more than others doesn't mean a 'V' as you call it is a bad example for adding FI. Project DNA gave you a good list, and I'd add on top of that the 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra, which has been known to go from dyno'ing 350-370rwhp stock to over 450rwhp with an intake, S/C pulley, exhaust and a tune. The 5.4L Shelby GT500 is picking up retarded gains with the same mods (over 200rwhp, and the capability of running 9's for ~$3000).

The V6 in the Lexus IS is not a good candidate for boost because of its inherent high compression, but if someone researched and designed a better set of pistons for example, to maybe bring the CR down to like 9:1, we could boost it to high heaven and hope for big gains. Then we'd run into the wall of how to tune the thing, since the USDM ECU remains uncracked.

The moral of the story is - companies aren't going to put that much time into trying to crack the "boost mystery" of the 2nd generation IS because of (a) the time and money involved and (b) the fact that the aftermarket demand for real performance just isn't out there. Sure there are about 30 little pipe dreaming kiddos on the forums who'd like to see it, but I bet I could count the number of people who actually have the means and motivation to throw down serious cash to run with the big dogs on one hand.
Old 10-27-09, 10:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by four o two
...The moral of the story is - companies aren't going to put that much time into trying to crack the "boost mystery" of the 2nd generation IS because of (a) the time and money involved and (b) the fact that the aftermarket demand for real performance just isn't out there. Sure there are about 30 little pipe dreaming kiddos on the forums who'd like to see it, but I bet I could count the number of people who actually have the means and motivation to throw down serious cash to run with the big dogs on one hand.
Exactly on the money FTW! Realistically, Toyota's are not the platform of choice for the aftermarket with the exception of the Supra and other 2JZ based platforms. Everything else is a red headed stepchild unless you have TRD USA or TRD Japan behind you. The biggest reason for this is Toyota's continued resistance to allowing ECM modifications, and this won't change any time soon.

Because everyone with the means and motivation already knows this, Toyota platforms outside the 2JZ aren't on anyone's hit list. As Toyota moves to fully custom computing platforms (they've said they'll have their own operating system in 2015) they'll only further alienate the tuning community, and anyone expecting to be able to modify their cars won't consider any Toyota product. JMHO.
Old 10-27-09, 11:10 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

agreed w/ four_o_two and lobuxracer.

slightly off topic, but i wonder what percentage of 2is owners can even afford a forced induction solution for their 2is. after all, it's not like people have that kind of disposable income sitting around.

but i have a feeling it's more than just "30 little pipe dreaming kiddos on the forums"...
Old 10-27-09, 01:52 PM
four o two
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projectdna
agreed w/ four_o_two and lobuxracer.

slightly off topic, but i wonder what percentage of 2is owners can even afford a forced induction solution for their 2is. after all, it's not like people have that kind of disposable income sitting around.

but i have a feeling it's more than just "30 little pipe dreaming kiddos on the forums"...
Haha, yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people out their who own a Lexus who have the means to do some crazy modifications to their vehicles if they were developed. However, I doubt that most of those folks (a) browse this board and even if they did (b) don't care about transforming their cars into street beasts.
Old 10-27-09, 02:08 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Exactly on the money FTW! Realistically, Toyota's are not the platform of choice for the aftermarket with the exception of the Supra and other 2JZ based platforms. Everything else is a red headed stepchild unless you have TRD USA or TRD Japan behind you. The biggest reason for this is Toyota's continued resistance to allowing ECM modifications, and this won't change any time soon.

Because everyone with the means and motivation already knows this, Toyota platforms outside the 2JZ aren't on anyone's hit list. As Toyota moves to fully custom computing platforms (they've said they'll have their own operating system in 2015) they'll only further alienate the tuning community, and anyone expecting to be able to modify their cars won't consider any Toyota product. JMHO.
Actually, in the future you will be able to modify your Toyota/Lexus with more official parts from Toyota, like F Sport parts from Lexus. Also as the image of the Toyota and Lexus brands will undoubtedly increase among enthusiasts in the future, there could be increased demand for aftermarket products.

While it's true that the Toyota ECM issue is a major hurdle for aftermarket Toyota parts, it's not a "be all and end all" sort of issue.

Given enough demand, there can and WILL be lots of aftermarket parts for future Toyota products/platforms even with an ECM that cannot be modified.
Old 10-27-09, 02:14 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by four o two
Haha, yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of people out their who own a Lexus who have the means to do some crazy modifications to their vehicles if they were developed. However, I doubt that most of those folks (a) browse this board and even if they did (b) don't care about transforming their cars into street beasts.
... and/or (c) they have something much, much faster in their garage.

a 2is with forced induction is great for bragging rights, but it's still a 2is.

don't get me wrong, i'm as interested as the next guy of possible forced induction solutions for the 2is, but i'd be kidding myself if i thought that i can change the pedigree of my car by going forced induction. it is what it is, and there's really no changing that.

Quick Reply: twin turbo possibility?