Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

twin turbo possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 12:38 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, Toyota browses these forums, so it would help if everyone who was seriously interested in performance 2IS parts would post more in such topics, and also for more topics such as these to be created.

I am sure that things like online petitions might get Toyota's attention as well. If not Toyota's attention, possibly some aftermarket companies who browse these forums might notice.
Old 10-29-09, 01:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Toyota browses a lot of forums. It hasn't lead to a substantive revamping of TRD yet, and I know they were subscribed to the MkIV Supra email list as far back as 1997.

I've seen nothing from Toyota to make me believe they have any interest in providing performance products for their production cars unless you're planning to run NASCAR or GTP or some other high profile racing series. GM, Ford, and Chrysler all do better in this regard. Too bad they have so much trouble getting the other part of their businesses right.
Old 10-30-09, 11:33 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Also for some of those who are critical or doubtful of TRD USA and their engineering, the Toyota F1 team has worked with TRD in California before.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 10-30-09 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 02:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Also for some of those who are critical or doubtful of TRD USA and their engineering, the Toyota F1 team has worked with TRD in California before.
I hope they weren't working on a supercharger. I've never seen so many half-baked poor SC implementations from any company anywhere. How many of their kits have been discontinued because they had terminal issues with them in the field?

Originally Posted by Tundra Solutions
I spoke with TRD technical support about the 4.7 supercharger. What he said was there was a glitch in the ecu and they put them on hold. They are not sure if they will be selling them again. He did say that they still have them but are not selling them. He did tell me that any that you find left out there would be glitch free and ok to use.
There are more. Lots more.
Old 10-30-09, 02:45 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
there's two separate issues here. first issue is toyota's involvement in motorsports. second issue is toyota's involvement in the aftermarket community.

while it's great that the toyota F1 team sought out TRD USA to do technical work for their racecars, that's for a sanctioned motorsports series. there's a high and likely chance it's probably one-off (read: NOT off-the-shelf) and for race application only. none of that will ever see the light of day on a street-legal car.

now if toyota corporate decided to work with TRD on aftermarket-level retail goods for toyota/lexus production vehicles... well, that's a different story.

again, f-sport does not count in the above scenario.

when you have solid, concrete evidence/example of toyota/TRD currently catering to the aftermarket community or even - gasp! - the 2is owners/enthusiast group with REAL performance products and not just another bin of basic bolt-on parts (read: f-sport), i'd like to hear about it.
Old 11-02-09, 11:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectdna
there's two separate issues here. first issue is toyota's involvement in motorsports. second issue is toyota's involvement in the aftermarket community.

while it's great that the toyota F1 team sought out TRD USA to do technical work for their racecars, that's for a sanctioned motorsports series. there's a high and likely chance it's probably one-off (read: NOT off-the-shelf) and for race application only. none of that will ever see the light of day on a street-legal car.

now if toyota corporate decided to work with TRD on aftermarket-level retail goods for toyota/lexus production vehicles... well, that's a different story.

again, f-sport does not count in the above scenario.

when you have solid, concrete evidence/example of toyota/TRD currently catering to the aftermarket community or even - gasp! - the 2is owners/enthusiast group with REAL performance products and not just another bin of basic bolt-on parts (read: f-sport), i'd like to hear about it.
I'm really not sure what you're arguing about here . I am honestly confused.

Like I said earlier, I have NEVER said that Toyota is *currently* catering to the enthusiast community with serious performance parts. What I've been saying the WHOLE TIME is that there is NO DEMAND for Toyota to do that.

Talk about a communication issue .
Old 11-02-09, 01:43 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would think that someone with such great perspective into the inner workings of toyota/lexus/TRD that you would understand i was going off on a tangent, but i probably should have made that clear.

i agree that toyota isn't currently catering to the enthusiast community.

however, i disagree that the demand for "serious performance parts" isn't there. it's always been there. i think i've made that clear?

this is a fruitless discussion, and obviously neither your perspective nor mine carries any weight with corporate. maybe when they show more commitment above and beyond "f-sport" can this discussion actually mean something.