Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

All GS owners Read this!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-02, 10:23 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

FYI:
do not try to change the TPS yourself. you need to recalibrate it after you install a new unit. so if you don't know what you are doing, don't mess with it or get someone who know.

you should have a check engine light if the TPS is not functional properly, the ECU should already log an error on TPS . once the TPS is not functional properly , first sign of problem is rough idle, which you already know.

MAP sensor can also cause engine dying or rough idle, so is dirty injector or fuel

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 04-29-02 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-28-02, 11:36 PM
power3dfx
Rookie

i want to share an experience ive had on my gs4 at idle. there has been two times that ive had the idle fluctuate, as if the car was going to turn off. the first time, i just sat there and watched, after about 5 seconds, i put my foot on the gas to start moving again, and the car turned off on me
the second time, the rpm would drop and rise below average idle rpm. this time i didnt let it continue, shifted from D to N, so that it would idle normally.
these two times that i have had this problem was after flooring it till about 60 and then come to a complete stop right after.
any ideas on why something like this happened??
Old 04-29-02, 05:55 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

your TPS is on the way out
or your MAP sensor in on the way out (most expensive to replace)

or there is a loose wire somewhere from the MAP sensor to the ECU

both can cause engine idles weirdly and dies

if I was you, i will wait til it happen again, usually, the ECU check engine light should come on when your engine dies for no reason.

anh
Old 04-29-02, 11:23 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

For the benefit of other GS owners in the future should this "rough idling" issue become a reality to them, I have wrote Lexus corporate this morning suggesting that they issue a bulletin/memo to dealers about the TPS replacement situation.

I hope that raising the dealers' awareness of this problem will be in the interest of everyone's time, both the dealers' and owners', by avoiding multiple time-wasting attempts to fix a known problem and foregoing exhausting long arguments with the SAs.
Old 05-01-02, 12:24 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a note, dirty/bad spark plugs can cause idle surges also...just FYI...
Old 05-01-02, 08:47 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Reply to Whitels

Originally posted by Tony
Fletcher Jones Lexus in Las Vegas
Service consultant is Amber Vela she did an excellent job and did not argue with me much.
Job #594
RO# 105874
date 4/26/02
part number 8945230140 thats all I got off of the receipt
Hope this helps.
If not see how much it would cost to pay to replace it.
I think its only 100 bucks.
Tony, BIG THANKS. I'll keep this info in my leather bound Lexus Owners Manual.
Old 05-01-02, 05:23 PM
Alewifebp
Driver

Thanks for the info. I've been having a rough idle for a few months now. SA said it was the reformulated gasoline. They of course also said no error codes showed on the ECU.

Question: Do you think that replacing this might also help the problem with engine ping on accelleration (which was discussed in deptch a few months ago)?
Old 05-01-02, 08:09 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alewifebp

My engine never pinged before the rough idle. You might indeed have a engine problem perhaps new spark plugs would help out more then the TPS. Also try to pull the #39 fuse and then reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, other GS guys I talked to said it helped.
Old 05-13-02, 06:11 PM
miko400
Driver

Default idle

Yeah, this is some good information. My Gs idle pretty darn rough. Thanks I will check with my dealer...
Old 06-21-02, 07:50 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hello all,

question: for those who have had their TPS replaced for the rough idling issue, how has your car idled so far? so far so good? i'm gonna take my car in pretty soon for this issue and i hope it'll be covered under warranty.

how long did it take for the dealer to fix this problem?

and to whitels, did you ever get a response from lexus after writing to them about this issue?
Old 06-21-02, 10:24 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
hello all,

and to whitels, did you ever get a response from lexus after writing to them about this issue?
Lexus' response was by-the-book in nature, as if it was an attorney replying to me. Here's the full text of the response:

"If you are experiencing rough idling, please contact your Lexus dealership to schedule an appointment to have the vehicle inspected. If necessary, the dealership can order you a throttle positioning sensor for your vehicle. I am sorry for any inconvenience this situation has caused you."

No mention if Lexus dealers were advised of the TPS issue as I requested originally.

I guess, you'll find out. Bring a copy of this entire thread and get them to read it.

Would you please come back here after your TPS repair and report on what happened? Thanks.
Old 06-21-02, 07:03 PM
miko400
Driver

Default TPS

Thanks for the update keep us informed. I also talked to my Dealer they wanted to know who told me changed TPS sensor....