Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

VIDEO & Photo's - IS350 Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 04:59 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why i said according to the page. id love to make that much power but they said they wouldnt dyno till after sema. makes me think they used hypothetical numbers from the R&D
Old 10-26-09, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Theoretical at 6 psi (20.696 PSIA) and 100% efficiency is 431 crank hp. They're claiming a little less.
Old 10-26-09, 07:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Theoretical at 6 psi (20.696 PSIA) and 100% efficiency is 431 crank hp. They're claiming a little less.
That'd put their 405 claim at 94% efficiency.... and work to around 348 at the wheels...(given the ~14% drivetrain loss that seems about right on stock IS350 dynos... 306 crank usually dynos in the 260-265 range) an increase of roughly 85 rwhp

That's about double the reported results of the LMS kit at 5 lbs of boost AFAIK... and about 1.7x more rwhp than the TOMs kit running 5.8 lbs of boost WITH an ECU tune adds...which is a bit odd.

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-26-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:05 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i be happy if it is really 405 cuz WOW thats as fast as a IS F D
Old 10-26-09, 09:24 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

did fox say something about the intercooler they where using was "choking" the air going thru it. sounds plausable to me, but i kinda doubt the other companys would've used intercoolers that "choked" airflow going from the turbo to the throttle body. anybody have anything to say about that? enlighten me cuz i honestly don't know haha

Edit: found the quote

Originally Posted by FoxCars
The first thing that caught my eyes was the LMS kit wasn't engineered right because the intercooler was just to small for the CFM flow of the blower bottom line. That is the main reason they didn't make power.

^^ i'd hope that would have truth and allow them to make their gains they claimed. but then again if it was that simple why didn't LMS do it.

Last edited by xuningshen; 10-26-09 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-26-09, 09:31 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by Kurtz
That'd put their 405 claim at 94% efficiency.... and work to around 348 at the wheels...(given the ~14% drivetrain loss that seems about right on stock IS350 dynos... 306 crank usually dynos in the 260-265 range) an increase of roughly 85 rwhp

That's about double the reported results of the LMS kit at 5 lbs of boost AFAIK... and about 1.7x more rwhp than the TOMs kit running 5.8 lbs of boost WITH an ECU tune adds...which is a bit odd.
what is the average efficiency of S/C kits out there? does it vary greatly, or is there a good median you could say. and if so, then the TOMs kit running at 5.8 lbs of boost, theoreticaly should produce almost that 431 hp that lobux is saying theoretically you would gain. that would mean the S/C in the LMS kit is running around 50% efficiency? hows that compared to other S/Cs? where is it all lost, 50% seems like alot of efficiency to loose, makes me think somethign wasn't designed right on the kit?
Old 10-26-09, 10:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

So there's a whole lot more to solving the problem than simple pressure readings. 6 psi at what intake temperature? The reality is, the SC is probably about 80% efficient converting mechanical energy into airflow because the compressor design is a lot like a turbocharger. Any force induction device only moves air, but in the process of moving the air, it adds heat. If the charge cooler in the LMS kit and the Tom's kit are smallish, the pressure reading is going to be more heat related than it will be actually moving air. Heated air is less dense and makes less power because there are fewer oxygen molecules for the fuel to use. If Fox is using a bigger unit, the 6 psi may be more flow and less temperature, so it will make more power even though the pressure reading is the same because the intake air temperature is lower. This also helps a lot with the high compression ratio because the cooler the intake air the more heat it will absorb on compression and the less likely the engine is to detonate.

The only way to really measure forced induction and make fair comparisons is to use mass flow, not pressure. It's a lot more arithmetic, but your results are a lot more predictable.

This is pretty simplistic, but should get the idea across. There's still a lot more to the physics of what's happening and why it does or doesn't work.
Old 10-26-09, 10:53 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So there's a whole lot more to solving the problem than simple pressure readings. 6 psi at what intake temperature? The reality is, the SC is probably about 80% efficient converting mechanical energy into airflow because the compressor design is a lot like a turbocharger. Any force induction device only moves air, but in the process of moving the air, it adds heat. If the charge cooler in the LMS kit and the Tom's kit are smallish, the pressure reading is going to be more heat related than it will be actually moving air. Heated air is less dense and makes less power because there are fewer oxygen molecules for the fuel to use. If Fox is using a bigger unit, the 6 psi may be more flow and less temperature, so it will make more power even though the pressure reading is the same because the intake air temperature is lower. This also helps a lot with the high compression ratio because the cooler the intake air the more heat it will absorb on compression and the less likely the engine is to detonate.

The only way to really measure forced induction and make fair comparisons is to use mass flow, not pressure. It's a lot more arithmetic, but your results are a lot more predictable.

This is pretty simplistic, but should get the idea across. There's still a lot more to the physics of what's happening and why it does or doesn't work.
So that means FOX's claims of a bigger intercooler giving them more HP seems to be valid (in theory). Can't wait for the dyno numbers!!
Old 10-26-09, 11:06 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all this is true then easily over 420 with methanol injection too?
Old 10-26-09, 11:11 PM
t3tj30n560
Driver School Candidate

Arrow IS350 Supercharger Install

Hey guys...................

The noise can be easily fixed by recirculate it back to the intake side.

What’s with all these negative comments?

ddquach wasn't driving the car in that video, it was zach.

he lefted in gear with high rpm didn't shift up as result supercharger is generating boost but throttle is closed. that is why it sounds like that.

and

and wtf is with this comment?
Quote:
doesnt sound good at all..and I highly doubt its 400 HP either....
what about

"i doubt u'll ever be able to afford a fully loaded is350 and be able to mod it"

come on guys...............

Sunny
online jobs
Old 10-27-09, 12:19 AM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam this is getting me really excited
Old 10-27-09, 04:53 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yayitscola
If all this is true then easily over 420 with methanol injection too?
I am curious about this too, i am SERIOUSLY contimplating doing this if/when this goes in to production.
Old 10-27-09, 08:32 PM
newis350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by xuningshen
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/26/s...he-road-to-si/

apparently they're boosting at 6 psi and making roughly 400 hp to the crank..... so says the article

edit: oops fixed the link
got this from the article:
"Lexus' internal tuning division was tapped to supply the stoppers,..."

Can someone explain to me what this means.
Old 10-27-09, 08:36 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

waiting patiently for the dyno numbers..
Old 10-27-09, 08:39 PM
AS~IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by newis350
got this from the article:
"Lexus' internal tuning division was tapped to supply the stoppers,..."

Can someone explain to me what this means.
I'm pretty sure they are basically saying that the car is equipped with the F-Sport BBK's.
Just a fancy/roundabout way to say it.

Quick Reply: VIDEO & Photo's - IS350 Supercharger Install