Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 08:22 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perfect for me... I love mines so much I KINDA don't wanna get an intake bec I don't wanna change the sound
Old 12-01-09, 09:53 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ the intake doesn't take away from the exhaust sound, since you don't hear the intake till 3500+ rpm. as mdgrwl said, the two blend nicely and complement each other well i love it!
Old 12-14-09, 06:53 PM
sean2sean
Rookie

how does the exhaust sound compare to the exhaust sound from a is-f?
Old 12-14-09, 07:14 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sean2sean
how does the exhaust sound compare to the exhaust sound from a is-f?
not the same. to me, the is-f sounded similar to my 4.6L 3V mustang with corsa exhaust. My IS350 with F-sport doesn't have anywhere near the same tone. the f-sport is more "Italian"-pur like
Old 12-14-09, 08:48 PM
cjlazar84
Pole Position

I love the tanabe in 2nd gear around 2800-4000 rpm.. mmmmmmmmmmmm ya. is what i say every time i hear it......

Shazaaammmm
Old 12-14-09, 08:59 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 123 Likes on 48 Posts

I Love my f sport. Especially between 2-5 K. Sounds so nice
Old 12-15-09, 06:28 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

My wife met me at a store while I was checking our SLR camera's and she brought her car. While we were leaving I was like "hey babe, let me drive your car and follow you while you drive mine!"

So for about 4 miles I was following my car through city style driving so I hear the F-Sport exhaust through gear changes a lot and I was supprised how much better it sounds when not in cabin! I couldnt' stop smiling.

It was raining out side but I had the windows down anyway, just to hear it it sounded that good! - In cabin it sounds a tone more bassy then it does from outside. Outside following the car yielded an extremely throaty ballzy sound! Less bassy hummm. Which IMO is better!

Last edited by mdgrwl; 12-15-09 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 01:50 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but it's definitely true. Best review for the first day of exhaust installation. I read over the reviews at least 20 times before I pulled the trigger on the exhaust this morning. Got it installed at Westminster for a great price and couldn't be happier. After driving it for an hour, I got the feel for how to control the exhaust note if I wanted it to be loud or drone, and it sounds so mean and makes the rear of the car look great! Definitely a ballzy sound the 2IS should have came from the factory as.

Edit: I typo like mad on itouches! haha

Last edited by JDKane527; 06-12-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 02:18 PM
fr0st
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Sorry for bringing this thread back, but it's definitely true. Best review on first day. I read over the reviews at least 20 times before I pulled the trigger on the exhaust this morning. Got it installed at Westminster for a great price and couldn't be happier. After driving it for an hour, I got the feel for how to control the exhaust note if I wanted it to be loud or drone, and it sounds so mean and makes the rear of the car looks great! Definitely a ballzy sound the 2IS should have came from the factory as.
did you get the one with the fsport emblem engraved on the mufflers?
Old 06-11-10, 03:00 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by fr0st
did you get the one with the fsport emblem engraved on the mufflers?
I realized mine does not have it engraved on. It looks cleaner that way, but it would be cool to have to designate/brag to others I guess?
It would be hardly noticeable on the side anyways, but I guess they stopped having them engraved? Anyone know if they still come engraved or not?
Old 06-11-10, 03:23 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Nice review post... I only wished it had sound clips. Thanks for the review

I already love the way the G35 rounds when it's revved up. I don't want anything that sounds too ricey... like trying to be a Mustang / Corvette.

As soon as I get budget approval from wifey, I'll be sure to throw in F-sport exhaust. For now, I'm stuck doing recession budget mods.
Old 06-11-10, 04:41 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stonefan52
Sorry for bringing this thread back, but it's definitely true. Best review on first day. I read over the reviews at least 20 times before I pulled the trigger on the exhaust this morning. Got it installed at Westminster for a great price and couldn't be happier. After driving it for an hour, I got the feel for how to control the exhaust note if I wanted it to be loud or drone, and it sounds so mean and makes the rear of the car looks great! Definitely a ballzy sound the 2IS should have came from the factory as.
why are you sorry? no need to be.

glad you enjoy it

now you really want to enjoy it x100 more, have someone drive your car and follow them around and hear what it sounds like outside the car.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 06-11-10 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-12-10, 07:25 AM
mikes rx

Sure Matt....you get all the credit

Anyway, with regard to the engraving: it's the newer exhausts that have it, not the older ones. Personally, I could go either way with it. Mine has it and I think it looks good (but I also filled in the engraving), but I'm sure it looks good without as well.
Old 06-12-10, 09:10 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Sure Matt....you get all the credit

Anyway, with regard to the engraving: it's the newer exhausts that have it, not the older ones. Personally, I could go either way with it. Mine has it and I think it looks good (but I also filled in the engraving), but I'm sure it looks good without as well.
what can i say? lol...

what did you fill the engraving in with?
Old 06-12-10, 05:56 PM
mikes rx

Originally Posted by mdgrwl

what did you fill the engraving in with?
Black high heat engine paint.....then removed the excess......a little hard for the paint to stick since the engraving is so shallow.

Quick Reply: Tanabe vs F-sport: my in-depth SOUND observations - Part 2