Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Official Nitrous oxide thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 01:19 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been wanting to do a 75 in mine forever!
Old 10-22-09, 01:21 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mv350
that is pretty sick,what is the punishment if any for running n2o in socal
well no cops have ever found my kit I have told a few police officers about it when I had my other set up with the bottle sitting behind the passenger seat and all of them looked at me like this and said "you got nitrous.... on your lexus!?" none of them really cared so im not very sure about that

Originally Posted by Robs IS250
ive been wanting to do a 75 in mine forever!
DOOOOOO ITTTTTTTT!!!!
Old 10-22-09, 02:19 PM
Kybball#1
Racer

I wouldnt mind to have a set up on my 350 too, i just wondering what the long term effects on the engine are?
Old 10-22-09, 03:43 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kybball#1
I wouldnt mind to have a set up on my 350 too, i just wondering what the long term effects on the engine are?
There are ways to do N2O setups very safely.

The OPs method isn't one of them... but then again he only spent $300 on it, and is apparently an extremely lucky person :P

(unless he has a ton of additional safety equipment not shown so far that he somehow got in his $300 package)
Old 10-22-09, 04:08 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz

The OPs method isn't one of them... but then again he only spent $300 on it, and is apparently an extremely lucky person :P

(unless he has a ton of additional safety equipment not shown so far that he somehow got in his $300 package)
care to expand? curious and want to know things to look out for.

Where does one get a refill lol? dont hate on the noob questions. Is it the same as say whats used in a paintball gun?
Old 10-22-09, 04:11 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to admit that this is one of the hang-ups that I have about trying an N20 setup. ZEX makes a dry kit that looks very straight-forward and easy to install. Rather than using a button, it's triggered at WOT. Its a bit more expensive than $300, but seems to be idiot-proof (famous last words).

Reading through the install manual, it recommends upgraded spark plugs, adjustments to the ignition timing based on N20 jetting, etc. etc (hence all my questions).

Has anyone here used this kit and have any feedback?
Old 10-22-09, 04:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Heh...among my old GM V8 buddies they had a joke "What do you call a guy who triggers his nitrous himself?"

A pedestrian.

Anyway, yeah, some kinda window switch is a good start to safety... you'll find a nice primer with a very foolproof setup here:

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/ni...es/newbies.htm

It's written for the LT1 motor, and he has a 2-stage system, but most of it applies to any car.

This ain't a bad primer either-
http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html

(also LT1-centric but lots of good general info)

Fundamentally you want things in place that keep the system only running in a certain RPM range, only running if fuel pressure is sufficient, only running at WOT, etc...
Old 10-22-09, 04:30 PM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

Heh...among my old GM V8 buddies they had a joke "What do you call a guy who triggers his nitrous himself?"

A pedestrian.

Anyway, yeah, some kinda window switch is a good start to safety... you'll find a nice primer with a very foolproof setup here:

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/ni...es/newbies.htm

It's written for the LT1 motor, and he has a 2-stage system, but most of it applies to any car.

This ain't a bad primer either-
http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html

(also LT1-centric but lots of good general info)

Fundamentally you want things in place that keep the system only running in a certain RPM range, only running if fuel pressure is sufficient, only running at WOT, etc...
damn thats alot of triggers and switches to make sure it runs safely.... and it seems like alot of that we can't do with our engines... retard timing, a soft rev limiter...
what i got from that also is this,
lets say your spraying it with a button and for some reason you redline it
and ecu cuts fuel, and your still pumping in n20 to the engine.... do you get boom? haha
Old 10-22-09, 04:34 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xuningshen
damn thats alot of triggers and switches to make sure it runs safely.... and it seems like alot of that we can't do with our engines... retard timing, a soft rev limiter...
what i got from that also is this,
lets say your spraying it with a button and for some reason you redline it
and ecu cuts fuel, and your still pumping in n20 to the engine.... do you get boom? haha
If a dry shot is spraying and fuel is cut, yeah, that's a very, very, bad thing.

That's why you want a soft rev limiter if possible so the rev limiter cuts spark instead of fuel... rich is a lot safer than lean.
Old 10-22-09, 04:39 PM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

A dry nitrous set up is actually considered "Dangerous" because you have no fuel to mix with the nitrous (Wet setup) and if a dry set up runs too lean, you can blow the head, bend a valve(s) or do some good damage to your internals.

A wet set up which is alot safer, uses a double fogger and mixes fuel/nitrous and runs rich which is actually more expensive but is ALOT safer for your motor....
Old 10-22-09, 04:41 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

lol solenoid some lines jets and a button and its not that Im cheap and dont have to money to do a wet shot and get dyno'd I originally only put the shot on with the intention of using it one time I had set up a race with a loud mouthed stage 3 roush mustang owner for $1000 dollars I just didnt want to spend the money on something that 1 I didnt know was gonna work 2 had no prior experience with it was originally only supposed to be used for one 1/4 mile pass but I fell in love with it and left it ..

and yes I absolutely must admit that I have been extremely lucky
Old 10-22-09, 04:44 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
care to expand? curious and want to know things to look out for.

Where does one get a refill lol? dont hate on the noob questions. Is it the same as say whats used in a paintball gun?
No nitrogen is what is used in paintball guns nitrous is different you can get it at auto motive shops
Old 10-22-09, 04:53 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If a dry shot is spraying and fuel is cut, yeah, that's a very, very, bad thing.

That's why you want a soft rev limiter if possible so the rev limiter cuts spark instead of fuel... rich is a lot safer than lean.
So a Dry Kit with a window switch seems like a good idea. Although, I don't think I've ever hit my rev limiter before...
Old 10-22-09, 05:37 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by montgb
So a Dry Kit with a window switch seems like a good idea. Although, I don't think I've ever hit my rev limiter before...
lol I have... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnNkz...layer_embedded

im racing at 1:56, 2:11, 2:55
Old 10-22-09, 05:39 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by windex
No nitrogen is what is used in paintball guns nitrous is different you can get it at auto motive shops
I cant blame you if you laughed at that question. While I was writing it I thought I was wrong lol.

Quick Reply: Official Nitrous oxide thread