Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Plug Change-WOW-HUGE DIFFERENCE

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-02, 06:47 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
RA,
I thought they were Denso Iridium plugs as well.

Ragarding changing the plugs, I think Percy changed his plugs to a brand called Torquemaster, if I am spelling it right, and he said he felt a noticeable difference compared to the stocks. I am happy with the stock plugs, but I am starting to think maybe I should change the plugs. Quit confusing me guys
Did he swap out new plugs or did he replace the plugs once they are old? Of course it would make a big difference if he put the Toquemaster plugs in after he was running on very old and corroded stock plugs. I would be interested to see if he had new stock plugs and tested the car immediately before he tested with the other plugs.
Old 05-10-02, 11:36 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a GS300 and have a 60k mi service in a few thousand miles. They said that the plugs are usually changed if I don't have the Iridiums, which I don't think I do. Would these work on GS300s? Would these be good replacements?

I don't know. The price of the service between getting plugs replaced and not is about $300 ($699 vs $999). I don't know what else they do to warrant $300. The plugs are not worth that much.
Old 05-10-02, 03:07 PM
RacingAristo

usually how many miles do I change the plugs?
Old 05-10-02, 09:37 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by Hermosa

Did he swap out new plugs or did he replace the plugs once they are old? Of course it would make a big difference if he put the Toquemaster plugs in after he was running on very old and corroded stock plugs. I would be interested to see if he had new stock plugs and tested the car immediately before he tested with the other plugs.
I swapped out the plugs at 20k miles. Definitely not considered old! The stock plugs were Denso Iridiums. Just for the record, my Dad changed his out on his GS430 at 2k miles. BIG difference in the top end. Some people may argue that 20k is "old" for Iridium plugs...but 2k miles is definitely not considered "old". We've both gone TM plugs and haven't looked back.

Percy
Old 05-11-02, 10:42 AM
RacingAristo

Thanks Percy. My car just passed 25k miles and will change the plugs at 30k service.
Old 05-15-02, 11:58 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'll give you an example of the very first thing I noticed when I switched to the torquemasters-the tach charged to redline imo much faster and more fluidly. It was like someone sprayed some WD-40 on my tach needle.
Also, I know our stock GS 4's are quick, not blazing...BUT, after adding my SRT intake/ecu, Borlas, and Torquemasters, I sometimes get that "oh **** feeling" in my stomach because the car is going just that much quicker than it was at stock. I firmly believe the torquemasters provide the definitive kick that my car's breathing desperately needed.
Old 05-15-02, 03:03 PM
RacingAristo

fever,

thanks for your info. now I'll definitely purchase the torquemaster plugs! anybody interested in potential groupbuy?
Old 05-15-02, 05:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you think it will help my GS300, I'm in for a group buy. Does anybody know about GS300 applications?

Thanks.
Old 05-15-02, 05:19 PM
Percy

What's the part number of the plug? I have the TM app chart here in front of me..

Percy
Old 05-15-02, 05:22 PM
Percy

Originally posted by fever
I'll give you an example of the very first thing I noticed when I switched to the torquemasters-the tach charged to redline imo much faster and more fluidly. It was like someone sprayed some WD-40 on my tach needle.
Also, I know our stock GS 4's are quick, not blazing...BUT, after adding my SRT intake/ecu, Borlas, and Torquemasters, I sometimes get that "oh **** feeling" in my stomach because the car is going just that much quicker than it was at stock. I firmly believe the torquemasters provide the definitive kick that my car's breathing desperately needed.
Definitely have to second this. Platinum or iridium is just a nice buzzword right now...notice that the iridium ads will not compare against a TM plug! Note...iridium is used for it's longevity, around a supposed 100k miles. The TM plugs have been known for well over 260k miles...and that's on a "points" ignition system with much higher current! Imagine what it'll do with our DIS systems! Can we say the plugs will outlast the car?

Plus, platinum/iridium is a relatively poor conductor compared to the standard nickel and copper.

just some stuff to think about...

Percy
Old 05-15-02, 05:45 PM
RacingAristo

Percy,

If there is any potential for groupbuy, I'd buy 2 set (one for 01 GS430 and the other one for 96 camry). 310, hey, that's my area code!
Old 05-15-02, 11:26 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya really, how much is it for a set of torque masters and how much would it cost to get it installed at the dealership on average that is...

ShOwGS
Old 05-16-02, 12:10 AM
RacingAristo

Show,

It'd take approx. 45 min for installation. Depends on how much your local dealer charges per hour.
Old 05-17-02, 12:17 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there would be a group buy, I'm in!!!
Old 05-17-02, 03:50 PM
RacingAristo

So there are currently 3 potential orders. I think we should get at least 10 orders for the groupbuy. Percy, do you wanna order some for your dad since he changed plugs pretty often?

Quick Reply: Plug Change-WOW-HUGE DIFFERENCE