Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Headers and stock appearance

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 10:54 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Headers and stock appearance

Some want/need to keep the vehicle looking stock for emissions inspection purposes.

If stock appearance is wanted the best coating option would probably be the cast gray. http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html

The stock manifolds are raw low grade stainless that gets some surface corrosion. Of course they are hidden under the heat shields so the only true way to look stock is to modify a set to accept the heat shields from a GS400 NOT FROM a 430 because the 430 shields will NOT fit over the S&S headers.

To get GS400 heat shields to fit on S&S headers some mounting tabs would need to be welded to the headers to allow the heat shields to be bolted on like or similar to stock. I say like or similar because the headers fit inside the stock GS400 heat shields but may not leave the needed clearance to add a screw tab at the stock shield location. So, some intelligent effort would be required here. I have suggested this before but have not heard of anyone actually doing this. Maybe I would attempt to help is someone were to ship headers and shields to me BUT... Without a car and test fitment I cannot 100% guarantee that there would be zero fitment issues. I would think on the order of 90% certainty but that is not 100%. Also, it MAY end up with contact somewhere between the header and the shield that MAY cause some residual noise. This is the price of stealth.

An alternative POSSIBILITY would be to secure the heatshields over the headers with stainless hose clamps or something similar. Of course the above unknowns would still apply.

ONE more thought, almost NO ONE outside of our community has EVER seen a stock manifold without the heat shield. You could easily CLAIM that the S&S headers are stock manifolds without the heat shields. I don't THINK the heat shields would be required emission equipment. You could ACCURATELY claim the headers are SIMPLY stock "type" replacement manifolds used for a number of reasons (stock damage, replacements not available, replacements UNREASONABLY expensive as stock are probably over $1000 each ) I know their are provisions for using equivilant aftermarket replacement components in place of factory components as long as performance is maintained.

Of course most inspections will probably NEVER notice anyway even with the shiny Jet Hot let alone the cast gray color.
Old 11-03-09, 10:22 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

lol, glad we dont do emissions here. the city does, but not us