Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single turbo setup for GS400?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-09, 03:55 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Yeah, tell me about it...I'm on brand new 275/30 (on 19 X 9.5 wheels) super sticky Bridgestones in the rear with around 120lbs of stereo in the trunk and I STILL spin 'em at a launch on the street! and that's without FI!

What would you suggest me do for better traction? I was thinking of getting rid of my stereo equip to strip some weight. Is there anything I can do with my suspension? Such as bring it up a little in the rear...would that help? Do they sell traction bars for our cars? How do they work? I know the simplest would be to let some air out of the rear tires but I am not running a few passes on a track where I can fill them back up - I'm just having a little fun on the street.
I was trying to reply to you a while ago and I searched for a traction control unit that I researched long ago, but never found it.

My take is if you want to realize the full power potential on the strip, then street drag radials is the easiest way. If you want performance under real world conditions, that's tough. Even with my 295 tires on 11 inch wide rims, I can spin them at will. I have even broke loose on the freeway when it kicks down to 3rd. So I'd say an electronic traction control device may be the best way to go.

I'm pretty busy right now, but hopefully someone else can chime in with possible traction control units.

Now on the other side, I recently switched over to a Carbonetics LSD and the off the line experience is quite interesting. In the past with a Supra TT LSD, I would have to launch with VSC off, since it would kick in and bog very early, however with VSC off, my traction was HIGHLY dependent on the road surface. Launching consistently was not easy at all. I would either spin and have to throttle it a bit or on a good launch it would spin and grab, then go WOT and that would be my quickest launch.

With the Carbonetics LSD it appears that I can NOW run with VSC on and it appears to match up with the new LSD quite well. I almost don't feel the VSC kick in, no bog, but the tires will slip just a bit, then grab and go. I only did a few launches since I installed the new LSD, so I will need to pull out my G-Tech and do some testing during the Holidays and with weather permitting.

Stay Tuned
Old 11-19-09, 04:04 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

There's a handful of guys on here that I appreciate because of their posts...Glenn, you're definately one of them.
Old 11-19-09, 04:13 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I too have read of people hitting the rev limiter with an FI GS. But, if you knew your car is DEFINITELY going to do this why not just shift manually with E-Shift (assuming it is a GS400) right before redline everytime? Wouldn't this be a solution?
You have the right idea but it doesn't work.

E-shift does not allow up shifts while you are at WOT. Try accelerating and e-shift to 3rd gear, then while at WOT shift up to 4th early, it won't shift. Basically e-shift is only good for holding the tranny in a lower gear or to downshift.

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
traction and banging the rev limiter on the 3-4 shift was the problems (at least thats what he says in morris' thread) said he had to lift, let it shift, then get back on it....13.2 @ 108 (fyi 108 is mid to low 12 no problem)
Hmmmm, I never had a prob with hitting the rev limiter except from 1st to 2nd. Then again, morris may have a different power curve, etc as discussed.
The following users liked this post:
naluloa (01-21-24)
Old 11-19-09, 04:17 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by speedaddic
There's a handful of guys on here that I appreciate because of their posts...Glenn, you're definately one of them.
Thx, I wish I could provide some more definitive info on my set up / experience, but I need to finish off a few more performance mods, then re-tune and then after all is ready, I plan to do some 1/4 mile testing with and without slicks.

I'll be lucky if I can complete this by the beginning of next summer.
Old 11-19-09, 06:40 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Actually, I heard how Jeff shifts on one of his videos, he lets off for a quick second from WOT then shifts, kinda like a manual..

My car is getting tuned by boost logic right now. I'm going to rebuild the tranny as well...hopefully all goes well I'll be able to track the "wife's" car
Old 11-22-09, 07:22 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I heard how Jeff shifts on one of his videos, he lets off for a quick second from WOT then shifts, kinda like a manual..

My car is getting tuned by boost logic right now. I'm going to rebuild the tranny as well...hopefully all goes well I'll be able to track the "wife's" car
Are you switching over to the AEM F/IC?
Old 11-22-09, 08:27 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Yes, Boomslang made a pnp harness for me. I'm actually going to run this for a little bit until I buy the stand alone things I need. Jeff will redo my car to complete stand alone.
Old 11-23-09, 08:14 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Yes, Boomslang made a pnp harness for me. I'm actually going to run this for a little bit until I buy the stand alone things I need. Jeff will redo my car to complete stand alone.
Do you think you'll get better whp #'s w/ the AEM Unit?
Old 11-23-09, 08:36 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Gillexus, JPI never tuned the car...he had no electronics to tune my setup. He just adjusted the FMU (garbage) but I was at 10 afr in boost which is basically too rich. I plan on doing a post with all my issues with my install 2 years ago. I barely drove the car when JPI did the install because of all the issues....
Old 11-26-09, 02:37 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Gillexus, JPI never tuned the car...he had no electronics to tune my setup. He just adjusted the FMU (garbage) but I was at 10 afr in boost which is basically too rich. I plan on doing a post with all my issues with my install 2 years ago. I barely drove the car when JPI did the install because of all the issues....
Wow 10a/fr is rich I always thought that he did had did a good job and spent lots of time tuning it on the dyno w/ the meth.
I take whos doing the AEM FIC knows what they doing. Can't wait to see those results.
Old 12-05-09, 11:31 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I was trying to reply to you a while ago and I searched for a traction control unit that I researched long ago, but never found it.

My take is if you want to realize the full power potential on the strip, then street drag radials is the easiest way. If you want performance under real world conditions, that's tough. Even with my 295 tires on 11 inch wide rims, I can spin them at will. I have even broke loose on the freeway when it kicks down to 3rd. So I'd say an electronic traction control device may be the best way to go.

I'm pretty busy right now, but hopefully someone else can chime in with possible traction control units.

Now on the other side, I recently switched over to a Carbonetics LSD and the off the line experience is quite interesting. In the past with a Supra TT LSD, I would have to launch with VSC off, since it would kick in and bog very early, however with VSC off, my traction was HIGHLY dependent on the road surface. Launching consistently was not easy at all. I would either spin and have to throttle it a bit or on a good launch it would spin and grab, then go WOT and that would be my quickest launch.

With the Carbonetics LSD it appears that I can NOW run with VSC on and it appears to match up with the new LSD quite well. I almost don't feel the VSC kick in, no bog, but the tires will slip just a bit, then grab and go. I only did a few launches since I installed the new LSD, so I will need to pull out my G-Tech and do some testing during the Holidays and with weather permitting.

Stay Tuned
I didn't read this whole thread but is the traction control system your referring to the RaceLogic system?
Old 12-09-09, 03:55 PM
GS4GEEZER
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres a company that makes rear mount turbo kits for a few of the domestic models they take the place of the mufflers in the rear of the car they do have universal kits heres their web site www.ststurbo.com and the piping back to the front of the vehicle acts as a intercooler preety impressive HP gains and ease of installing
The following users liked this post:
djr48312 (10-18-21)
Old 12-11-09, 11:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4GEEZER
Theres a company that makes rear mount turbo kits for a few of the domestic models they take the place of the mufflers in the rear of the car they do have universal kits heres their web site www.ststurbo.com and the piping back to the front of the vehicle acts as a intercooler preety impressive HP gains and ease of installing
we have actually talked bout the remote mounts several times....its still even using the universal kit is VERY costly.

search under remote mount or something similar.
Old 12-11-09, 01:43 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS4GEEZER
Theres a company that makes rear mount turbo kits for a few of the domestic models they take the place of the mufflers in the rear of the car they do have universal kits heres their web site ststurbo.com and the piping back to the front of the vehicle acts as a intercooler preety impressive HP gains and ease of installing
Yeah, it's been done before. The pressure loss because of the mile long piping does not act like a intercooler, but instead reduces boost therefore dropping temp. I will also add that there's not much room underneath the GS for a turbo or a protected intake, and having an oil line and return line run the length of the car underneath the vehicle especially in harsh Minnesota conditions is just asking for trouble. With the that being said, yes it can be done.
Old 01-01-10, 11:55 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by macd7919
I didn't read this whole thread but is the traction control system your referring to the RaceLogic system?
Late response but yeah the Race Logic set-up looks like the way to go.

Quick Reply: Single turbo setup for GS400?