Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 11:45 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default transmission problem

not to long ago there was a post about a slipping transmission. I dont know if im apart of this so im gunna explain whats happening to my car, a few weeks ago my check engine came on after i noticed that the car took a good second to find the gear it was supposed to be in. it also would sometimes shift early and shift hard. letting off the gas sometimes would help get it to shift.

well after that i took it to my mechanic. they came up with stuff like its my speed sensor, a solenoid. but they said sometimes atf flushes fix these problems.soooo i got got my transmission fluid flushed.
and walahh! shifts perfect no problems and to make sure it did i drove my car till i litterally had noo gas. then i told myself.. i have no gas i gotta get home before my car dies on me. next morning when i start the car the check engine light comes so im like what the hell maybe i need gas. and my day gets worse so i get to the gas station with the needle litterally on empty when i realize i dont have my wallet. then my friend happend to call me and ask for a ride from school witch was like 2 miles away from the gas station. so i gathered up some coins and got 2.79 and put 87 gas in to make sure i make it. so i got my friend and he put in $15 but on 91 this time. then the check engine light went away...

later on i was driving and the check engine came back on and the car was stuttering and even DIED on me for a second like i almost killed it but saved it by pressing the clutch back it.. and i could floor it and the rpm's would just get higher and higher. so i thought if it doesnt know when to shift i will tell it when it should. So i put it in M and where its supposed to show u what gear its in it wasn't it was blank and the M was flickering. i paniced and rushed home. couple hours later i turned the car on and it was running fine again. puzzled, i took it to my mechanic and he said he wants to flush it again cause there might be just a bunch of gunk in there cause the fluid was brown the first time it was drained and he wants to check the pan and see if there's any shavings inside.

what could be the problem?? correct me if im wrong i know using a lower grade gas can decrease performance but not THAT much... could it still be the speed sensor? my worst worry is needing a whole new transmission.
what do u guys think? should i worry? anyone with the same problem have any update? this is my second month with my lexus, its a 99 gs400 with 120k miles, just need need some imput from you lexus owners. thanks
Old 11-17-09, 09:08 AM
StealthGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im confused And since when did an automatic transmission start slipping and also have a clutch?? Did I miss something?????
Old 11-17-09, 09:36 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Your car has tried to help you figure out what is wrong several times. Get yourself a OBDII Scanner and start checking the codes. A better scanner will also be able to check you Transmission and ABS/Traction codes too.

Do you have a Auto with E-shift or a true Manual conversion with a clutch?
Old 11-17-09, 09:55 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

What fluid did your mechanic use, our GS's use Toyota's Type IV transmission fluid. Anything else may cause problems...
Old 11-17-09, 10:57 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StealthGS
Im confused And since when did an automatic transmission start slipping and also have a clutch?? Did I miss something?????
uhm yes you did "like i almost killed it but saved it by pressing the clutch back it.." notice i said (like), im expalining what happend from my point of view. if you'v ever drivin a stick shift, you'd know what im talking about. this happens alot especially when your learning. re-read my friend.
Old 11-17-09, 11:21 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Your car has tried to help you figure out what is wrong several times. Get yourself a OBDII Scanner and start checking the codes. A better scanner will also be able to check you Transmission and ABS/Traction codes too.

Do you have a Auto with E-shift or a true Manual conversion with a clutch?
its an auto with e shift. but man did i feel like a stick shift that day. and do you think my mechanic should have that OBDII scanner?

ohh by the way my mechanic is my uncle and i get labor free. i just pay for parts. he didnt give me news on whats happend to the car yet prolly cause he didnt even look at it yet. so i hope im not looking at to much for repair.
Old 11-17-09, 11:49 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
its an auto with e shift. but man did i feel like a stick shift that day. and do you think my mechanic should have that OBDII scanner?

ohh by the way my mechanic is my uncle and i get labor free. i just pay for parts. he didnt give me news on whats happend to the car yet prolly cause he didnt even look at it yet. so i hope im not looking at to much for repair.
Most mechanics has some level of scanner. If he handles any kind of advanced diagnostics he should deffinitly have one.
Old 11-17-09, 02:00 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

uhm yes you did "like i almost killed it but saved it by pressing the clutch back it.." notice i said (like), im expalining what happend from my point of view. if you'v ever drivin a stick shift, you'd know what im talking about. this happens alot especially when your learning. re-read my friend.

lol que? Stay in school.
Old 11-17-09, 02:04 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sivikvtec

lol que? Stay in school.
??? ok
Old 11-17-09, 02:06 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
Most mechanics has some level of scanner. If he handles any kind of advanced diagnostics he should deffinitly have one.
yeah.. ill check with him haha

thanks
Old 11-18-09, 01:07 PM
StealthGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"like i almost killed it but saved it by pressing the clutch back it.." You really dont make any sense, But yeah scan the code's obviously. And Of course our cars arent supposed to take a lower grade gas....Open the gas door look at it and re-read that my freind "Premium" 91 or higher!!

Good luck
Old 11-18-09, 02:47 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by StealthGS
"like i almost killed it but saved it by pressing the clutch back it.." You really dont make any sense, But yeah scan the code's obviously. And Of course our cars arent supposed to take a lower grade gas....Open the gas door look at it and re-read that my freind "Premium" 91 or higher!!

Good luck
ha dude stop trying to make me look dumb. take a breath and calm down, if u own a gs the manuel says u can use a lower grade gas. obviously not every fill up but if u take time to read what i said it was a one time thing. im looking for help like from the others, not my own personal spell check that finds everylittle wrong thing in a paragraph. if other guys were able to understand im sure u can to.if u really wanna keep this argument going hit me up with a PM, im sorry for the mis-understanding. i dont look farward to these reply's cause its not helping figure out my tranny prob. so please end of discussion
Old 11-18-09, 07:16 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can't help you by your description...get a scanner and come back with the codes. Sometimes when a tranny that has never been flushed gets flushed...gunk from the tranny causes even more problems.
Old 11-19-09, 12:11 AM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic
can't help you by your description...get a scanner and come back with the codes. Sometimes when a tranny that has never been flushed gets flushed...gunk from the tranny causes even more problems.
yeah my mechanic found out what it was. im about to post a new thread about it, and yeah i guess im lucky cause i got it flushed and it didnt get anyworse. or did it.... haha but he told me its my shift solenoid.
Old 01-31-10, 10:22 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah my mechanic found out what it was. im about to post a new thread about it, and yeah i guess im lucky cause i got it flushed and it didnt get anyworse. or did it.... haha but he told me its my shift solenoid.
update, or new post link? thanks

Quick Reply: transmission problem