Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Few quick questions about JOEZ intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-09, 11:00 AM
sslexus12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Few quick questions about JOEZ intake

Hey, I'm new to these forums. Just got myself an is350!! The first mod i was thinking about doing was a JoeZ intake. I just have a few ?'s about it. I've heard of a few problems after installation about the windows not working. Is this common (am I likely to have some problems with my car)??? Also does the JoeZ intake void the warranty at all (haha might be newbie question but i just wanted to make sure )?
Old 11-25-09, 11:31 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the problem regarding the windows not working is because of the negative terminal being disconnected. it's an easy fix though; just roll your windows up and down until it goes back to normal.

as far as it voiding the warranty, i can't speak on that. however, if the warranty matters that much to you, you can try the warranty-retaining albeit more expensive option to the joe z intake... in the form of the f-sport intake.

see http://www.f-sport.com for more details on the f-sport intake.
Old 11-25-09, 12:27 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
the problem regarding the windows not working is because of the negative terminal being disconnected. it's an easy fix though; just roll your windows up and down until it goes back to normal.
Even better fix- leave the battery connected. There's honestly no reason to unplug it to install the intake and then you don't need to reset the windows at all.

Originally Posted by projectdna
as far as it voiding the warranty, i can't speak on that. however, if the warranty matters that much to you, you can try the warranty-retaining albeit more expensive option to the joe z intake... in the form of the f-sport intake.

see http://www.f-sport.com for more details on the f-sport intake.

The F-sport only carries the same warranty as the car if you pay a lexus dealer to install it.

It's an install that takes like 30 minutes, is super easy to do yourself, and they're likely to want $100-200 bucks to do it.

On top of the intake itself which already costs 3x what the Joe Z intake does for the same gains.

The F-sport intake is great if you live in CA and need to pass smog there though.

To address the OPs real question however-

A vehicle manufacturer can not, by federal law, "void" a new car warranty due to the use of aftermarket parts.

The only thing they can do is refuse to repair a problem that is caused by an aftermarket part. Anything else remains intact.

And if anybody can tell me a problem that a properly installed Joe Z could be shown to cause I'd love to hear it.
Old 11-25-09, 12:38 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Even better fix- leave the battery connected. There's honestly no reason to unplug it to install the intake and then you don't need to reset the windows at all.

The F-sport only carries the same warranty as the car if you pay a lexus dealer to install it.

It's an install that takes like 30 minutes, is super easy to do yourself, and they're likely to want $100-200 bucks to do it.

On top of the intake itself which already costs 3x what the Joe Z intake does for the same gains.

The F-sport intake is great if you live in CA and need to pass smog there though.

To address the OPs real question however-

A vehicle manufacturer can not, by federal law, "void" a new car warranty due to the use of aftermarket parts.

The only thing they can do is refuse to repair a problem that is caused by an aftermarket part. Anything else remains intact.

And if anybody can tell me a problem that a properly installed Joe Z could be shown to cause I'd love to hear it.
Kurtz, you seem to know a lot. I'm assuming you don't live in cali since it says youre in NC. so why did you choose the f-sport intake(says in your sig) over the joe z?
Old 11-25-09, 10:49 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Kurtz, you seem to know a lot. I'm assuming you don't live in cali since it says youre in NC. so why did you choose the f-sport intake(says in your sig) over the joe z?
Correct, I don't live in CA (and hope never to)

But when I got my intake Microsoft was still doing the insane 30% cashback on ebay, combined with a dealership selling the F-sport on ubersale (on ebay) it meant I got the F-sport intake for only a few bucks more than the cost of a Joe Z intake plus a removable filter... for a couple bucks it seemed worth it to never have to drop the phrase "Mangunson-Moss" at a dealership, and be covered in the INCREDIBLY unlikely event I ever had to take the car to CA.

Sadly, you can't get that kinda deal anymore, so you're gonna pay at least $100 or more on top of what I did, at which point the Joe Z would be a no brainer to me (and would be what would be on my car if that deal hadn't been possible at the time).
Old 11-26-09, 03:12 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

alright thanks. i'm gonna see what sewell is offering for black friday. otherwise the joe z and a filter.