Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ceramic Coating Headers/Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 06:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
well I didn't want to be the one to write numbers, but yup, since the cat is out of the bag... almost $1K (before labor to install) for 16hp?

I'm sure they are uber hi-quality but no thanks.

Personally I think just about every single +hp part for the 2IS is horribly expensive for the meager gains.

I come from a world where a $400 exhaust added a solid 15-20 rwhp. (american V8 muscle cars)...headers added even more. But that isn't the 2IS.

Let's compare $1000 for 16 hp to other 2IS parts.

$1000 for 16hp is $62.50 per hp.

The F-sport intake is around $320 on a typical sale... for 5 rwhp. That's $64 per hp.

The Tanabe exhaust is around $650... for 7 rwhp. That's $92.85 per hp.

The F-sport exhaust is considerable more expensive than that, for the exact same gains as the Tanabe.

Full exhausts you say? The Joe Z full exhaust is $1500. For 12 hp. That's $125 per hp.

That $62.50 per hp is looking pretty good now, ain't it?

DISCLAIMER: I know jack about this vendors headers; The dyno done on them used a full exhaust and I'd have preferred an otherwise bone stock one too. But if he's delivering a quality made product with the gains claimed, the one thing they are not is overpriced for the 2IS market.

The above should also tell you what an insanely good bargain the Joe Z intake is at $125 for 5 rwhp... that's a mere $30 per hp... by far the best bang/buck available.
Old 12-02-09, 06:48 PM
L-S-D
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehhhh... I was excited bout these headers till I saw the price tag for them... Imo its not worth 1k plus 300 for instal

Illjus wait for imf
Old 12-02-09, 07:09 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's why you install it yourself

Anyone in FL want these installed hit me up, I'll do it for half! LOL
Old 12-02-09, 07:09 PM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Personally I think just about every single +hp part for the 2IS is horribly expensive for the meager gains.

I come from a world where a $400 exhaust added a solid 15-20 rwhp. (american V8 muscle cars)...headers added even more. But that isn't the 2IS.

The F-sport intake is around $320 on a typical sale... for 5 rwhp. That's $64 per hp.

The F-sport exhaust is considerable more expensive than that, for the exact same gains as the Tanabe.

Full exhausts you say? The Joe Z full exhaust is $1500. For 12 hp. That's $125 per hp.

DISCLAIMER: I know jack about this vendors headers; The dyno done on them used a full exhaust and I'd have preferred an otherwise bone stock one too. But if he's delivering a quality made product with the gains claimed, the one thing they are not is overpriced for the 2IS market.

The above should also tell you what an insanely good bargain the Joe Z intake is at $125 for 5 rwhp... that's a mere $30 per hp... by far the best bang/buck available.
But you have to understand most of us go into buying intakes/exhaust's knowing there's moot gains... for most (me) its all about the sound.

I had the Tanabe, only to switch to the F-Sport... just for sound.
Old 12-02-09, 07:51 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

But you have to understand most of us go into buying intakes/exhaust's knowing there's moot gains... for most (me) its all about the sound.

I had the Tanabe, only to switch to the F-Sport... just for sound.
You don't think headers will change the sound of the car?

PLUS provide more gains than the exhaust most folks spent nearly as much on (or more in some cases) for a fraction of the gain.

Personally after my previous vehicles (a number of V8 american cars, supras, etc...) I simply can't bring myself to drop more than $40-50/hp (I got my tanabe used for about half price, works the same as a new one after all)...so I'm probably not going to be a customer for these... but compared to literally everything else out there but the Joe Z pipe it's a bargain for the gains.

Last edited by Kurtz; 12-02-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 07:57 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have these been tested on a stock IS350 yet? I've put down the same numbers with just an exhaust. Typically headers have rarely produced power on V6 motors. The 300zx, 350z, 3800 series GM motors never gained power but instead lost power with headers.
Old 12-03-09, 04:29 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I have had my headers coated by Jet-Hot.

Direct injection (lean burn) engines typically produce a hotter exhaust gas temperture compared to multiport etc.... This higher then typical temperture approaches the maximum rating on JH's lowest performing ceramic coating. So I went with the middle range coating. It has a satin finsh and is limit to the silver color if my memory is correct.

FWIW
Old 12-03-09, 08:53 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Yes, they sure will. But possibly for the worse. I've read some hating the sound of headers on the IS. Another reason why I'm staying away from em'.

Like I said. You can max get this car up to 340/350rwhp, and thats dumping tens of thousands with boost, headers, true dual exaust, intake ect...

might as well of just got the F
or
if the F is out of your range, might as well of got an Evo or an American Muscle car where your dollar takes you MUCH further.

My point is, I'm not going to spend another dollar on 'performance' gains for this car. The IS350 is what it is, and unless your willing to dump over $10K, possibly more for another 50/60HP, you might as well just except your purchase.
OR
Trade it in for an F or something more mod-friendly.

Straight out, this car blows for performance mods. No channel support, everything is extremely expensive, and your never going to get this thing above 350rwhp eve if you max out your bank account and all of your options.

I love my IS350, but its for performance mods. I honestly think we agree more then disagree.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 12-03-09 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-03-09, 09:34 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kurtz

Although we don't always see eye to eye on everything, I think your post is pretty accurate. People are spending the same amount for exhausts and wanting extra power and getting MAYBE half of the WHP that PPE's headers give, at the same price.

You get what you pay for.. For people waiting and wanting cheaper products, don't be surprised when the product you buy, because it was so much cheaper, ends up being a bust and/or complete waste of money.
Old 12-03-09, 10:32 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

My point is, I'm not going to spend another dollar on 'performance' gains for this car. The IS350 is what it is, and unless your willing to dump over $10K, possibly more for another 50/60HP, you might as well just except your purchase.
OR
Trade it in for an F or something more mod-friendly.

Straight out, this car blows for performance mods. No channel support, everything is extremely expensive, and your never going to get this thing above 350rwhp eve if you max out your bank account and all of your options.

I love my IS350, but its for performance mods. I honestly think we agree more then disagree.

I agree power mods for the 350 suck, particularly for the cost.

I spent a total of about $1000 on all my mods, intake, exhaust, and sways. They were the best possible bang/buck, and even then just barely at the end of unreasonably costly for the gains. I have no intent on spending any more unless some miraculous new product comes along, which I'd be very surprised by. And I'm saying that as someone who has spent a LOT of time and money modding previous cars for performance, but you got a ton more gain for the $ on those.

I was just addressing the people complaining about the cost for this particular mod when it's actually cheaper in $/hp than nearly every other performance mod people have been buying for the car since it came out.
Old 12-03-09, 10:42 AM
uaaction
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
That's why you install it yourself

Anyone in FL want these installed hit me up, I'll do it for half! LOL
come to NY and install them for me when i get them do you like them bro please tell me idk if i should get them money is not a issue i just wanna know if its worth it like sound wise and power you feel your car faster like on highways and from dig ty IsuxeL

Serge
Old 12-03-09, 03:30 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uaaction
come to NY and install them for me when i get them do you like them bro please tell me idk if i should get them money is not a issue i just wanna know if its worth it like sound wise and power you feel your car faster like on highways and from dig ty IsuxeL

Serge
punctuation is your friend...
Old 12-03-09, 05:24 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by uaaction
Come to NY and install them for me when i get them. Do you like them bro? Please tell me cause idk if i should get them. Money is not a issue, i just wanna know if its worth it - Like sound wise and power. Do you feel your car is faster like on highways and from a dead dig? TY iSuxeL

Serge
Fixed.

And yes, you can feel the power increase and the car definitely feels faster both from a roll and from a stop. I would say get them and do a before and after dyno on your car too. I'd like to see the range they produce.
Old 12-03-09, 08:05 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Get them hands down. I love the sound headers make, especially on this car.
Old 12-04-09, 03:53 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
Get them hands down. I love the sound headers make, especially on this car.
LOL - you're not biased, are you? But I definitely want these headers.

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating Headers/Exhaust