Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My GS400 = 4.76 0-60mph! G-Tech RR

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-09, 07:07 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
i got the same 1/4 time shifting myself (e-shift) and leaving the car in drive wtih pwr mode on. my car did however slow down with leaving the trans in its normal mode. it was only a couple tenths though (dont remember exactly) i wish someone made an aftermarket trans ecu....i still say thats the limiting factor in making our cars go faster.
what exactly does the ect pwr button do?
change the valve timing?
also this may seem crazy and i probably am crazy but i noticed that if you put the car in drive and floor it but lift at the shift points like the car is a manual it seems like the car shifts faster
Old 12-28-09, 10:14 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I didnt read over the whole thing, but here something to watch and hope its not a repost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

comparison of the gtech vs. dynolicious
Old 12-29-09, 06:22 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
I didnt read over the whole thing, but here something to watch and hope its not a repost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-DFbJQbeSY

comparison of the gtech vs. dynolicious
Well, I did see this one but there are also 4 others that are at the track with the G-Tech in place where it shows the G-Tech being accurate within 1/100th of a second and trap speed within .5mph!

I bet ANYTHING that these dumbA$$es didn't configure it properly and do an initial run to get it to read properly.

First the unit must be configured in a series of ways by turning the actual unit in every direction and holding a button for a few seconds. This is the initial configuration then you have to configure it to your car with regard to RPM's and vehicle weight.

Then, EVERYTIME you plug in your G-Tech you MUST do a quick pull...even if it is just to 30mph...this re-calibrates it. Then every run thereafter will be on point. MANY say that it is accurate enough for the "at-home" user. The Dynolicious software for the I-Phone may in fact be a little more accurate but if this notion is true it doesn't mean that the G-tech is inaccurate.

The only PITA with the G-Tech is making sure that it is setup properly...if even one thing is not done right...even how it is mounted...everything gets thrown right out the window. Whereas it seems that the I-Phone software is just run the program and go. Much simpler but I don't have an I-phone...and since I got this G-tech RR used for $90/shipped I couldn't go wrong. New they are around $300!

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 12-29-09 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:47 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both Dynolicious and PocketDyno+ on my iPhone, and PocketDyno+ is much more accurate than Dynolicious, with Dynolicious I constantly get some errors and lag, sometimes it can't even detect the run or freezes during the run. No such problems with PocketDyno+.
Old 12-30-09, 05:29 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
I have both Dynolicious and PocketDyno+ on my iPhone, and PocketDyno+ is much more accurate than Dynolicious, with Dynolicious I constantly get some errors and lag, sometimes it can't even detect the run or freezes during the run. No such problems with PocketDyno+.
What is PocketDyno+? Is it also an app for the I-Phone?
Old 12-30-09, 01:27 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
What is PocketDyno+? Is it also an app for the I-Phone?
Yea
Old 12-30-09, 01:29 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gps > accelerometer.
Old 12-31-09, 05:50 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

gps > accelerometer.
An accelerometer is still very accurate and effective. If you do some research especially on the newer G-Techs the 3 internal sensors are dervied from the U.S. Military's missle guidance system.
Old 12-31-09, 09:11 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an accelerometer is only as good as the information provided to it by the end user. and accelerometer cannot accomadate for things such as wheel spin or a downhill grade. GPS can.

military guidance systems are, and have been GPS based for many years (i build missile's and other aerospace parts for a living )
Old 12-31-09, 12:45 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

an accelerometer is only as good as the information provided to it by the end user. and accelerometer cannot accomadate for things such as wheel spin or a downhill grade. GPS can.

military guidance systems are, and have been GPS based for many years (i build missile's and other aerospace parts for a living )
Cool! and I agree with the other info...but the box does mention that the accelerometers use the same technology as missle guidance systems. So I am not sure what that means to this device. In any event, of course I will always "test" on a flat, dry road. Also, it is obvious that if you get wheelspin your time will be slower.

For example...my last run of a 5.7X seconds to 60mph had a lot of wheelspin and I have done other runs where I got a 6.2X with TONS of wheelspin (sideways) so obviously the more I cut down on the wheelspin (by either perfecting my launch or wait until I put on my Spring/Summer setup) the faster times I will see. Based on this my car IS capable of putting down a good amount quicker than 5.7X seconds to 60...I just have to keep practicing and obtain better traction.

So eventhough it doesn't account for it...it doesn't matter to me because if I get "X" time with "Y" traction then I KNOW for a fact that I will get "X-1" time with "Y+1" (better) traction.

How does a GPS account for wheelspin anyway? Does it KNOW that my tire spun 5 rotations for .6 seconds extrapolates and calculates a time that is .6 seconds quicker? I find this impossible for any unit to do this accurately. You cannot account for wheelspin. It takes you a certain amount of time to get from A-B and IT doesn't care how you got there...it will just give you the time it took. It is up to the user/driver to realize what could have been done better during that run...such as cut down on wheelspin or hold a gear longer etc etc.
Old 01-01-10, 10:18 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

While I agree with many of your posts I dissagree with some of the above.

Yes, proper calibration is needed to get horsepower numbers and RPM numbers but an accelerometer coupled with a computer does not care about anything accept motion and time. The GTech units in question (Pro Competition and RR) use 3 accelerometers to gather motion data and a computer logarithm to make the calculations.

The accuracy of the accelerometers and the accuracy of the logarithm is critical to accuracy of the UNIT. The GTech offering is actually quite accurate.

That said while the UNIT is accurate the calculations it makes for the vehicle being measured is effected by the stability of the mounting. If the mounting is at all loose or transmits vibrations that will reduce accuracy accordingly.

How well the unit calculates rapid transitions is also under question. The act of spinning the tires has no direct effect on the units calculations. If the spinning tires go into wheel shake (heavy vibration) that could create error. When the spinning tires finally hook up there will be a spike in forces that may create error. If the road surface has elevation changes that could create error. All the above is somewhat considered in the GTech programming. So far I have had good luck in MOST uses with mine and the total available data is great for data nuts.

All the above considered a good GPS based system would have less variables and should give more consistent data but the GTech is not junk and not useless.

The RR unit comes with remote software allowing downloads of data to a computer to view a wide range of data and compare multiple runs with plotted information. This is a great way to understand what is going on.

Below is an image of the software display. This is the drag racing display and there is also a road racing display. Notice the 7 tabs allowing 7 different data displays including a dyno graph.