Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nitrous power? How much is to much?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 01:08 AM
bgsymalone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous power? How much is to much?

Hey guys searched for this, what I was looking for I couldn't really find however, so maybe you could help me out here.

I have a 1999 GS300 2jz-ge with around 124,000 miles on it. While my dream is to turbocharge it, dropping 5,000+ grand on a turbo kit, isn't really something I can manage right now as a college student.
How much nitrous do you think a 2jz-ge can take, with injectors and a fuel pump upgrade? Talking to a buddy who owns a supra 2jz-gte says the 2jz-ge can handle around 400hp on stock internals. So what about a 100hp+ shot of nitrous? I figure stock 2jz-ge 220hp+100hp nitrous shot = 320hp whenever I want. How much of a nitrous shot do you think I can run without seriously damaging something? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-08-09, 04:47 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

100 wet should be no problem for 2jz. But remember you got the VVTI 2jz those arent as strong as the non vvti motors so i wouldnt take a chance and spray any more then 100.
1. Make sure you buy a good trusted wet system
2. Get somone that knows what they are doing installing your kit
3. Please buy a window switch if you want your transmission to last

i dont know why more people dont do this but its def a good alternative especially for GS400 owners where theres absolutly nothing forced induction out there.
Old 12-08-09, 10:01 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
100 wet should be no problem for 2jz. But remember you got the VVTI 2jz those arent as strong as the non vvti motors so i wouldnt take a chance and spray any more then 100.

i dont know why more people dont do this but its def a good alternative especially for GS400 owners where theres absolutly nothing forced induction out there.
This is good advice.

Regarding the 1998+ VVTi V8 engines (GS4xx, LS4xx, SC4xx, LX470) the stock connecting rods are very weak and ANY detonation is a BIG problem. I would keep nitrous below 100hp and in fact probably keep it to 75hp.

One problem is distribution. Modern EFI manifolds are "DRY" meaning no fuel distribution engineering as fuel is injected at the port. Nitrous is chemical supercharging that increases the available nitrogen and oxygen to a engine. The oxygen MUST have enough fuel (gasoline, alcohol, LPG) to prevent a lean out condition that WILL hurt the engine. The problem is the intake probably will NOT equally distribute the nitrous and DEFINITELY will not equally distribute the fuel.

The best way to address this is with an individual port nitrous system. This is a much more expensive route and usually designed for much higher horsepower applications. Getting small enough nozzles is important.

So, if you keep the power increase to 75hp and you have the system properly installed utilizing a "window" switch as advised above (only allows the nitrous to work for a specific RPM range such as 3000rpm to 5800rpm) you will probably do ok.

Of course you may want to make the available NA mods such as the K&N FIPK, headers and tuning to gain up to 50hp before considering the nitrous. Additionally a Precision Industries torque converter will make a BIG performance improvement.
Old 12-08-09, 01:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i agree this is a easier/cheaper alternative but there are SEVERAL off the shelf
SC kits for the gs400....and a few off the shelf turbo kits. now almost NOTHING for the gs430
Old 12-08-09, 03:09 PM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
i agree this is a easier/cheaper alternative but there are SEVERAL off the shelf
SC kits for the gs400....and a few off the shelf turbo kits. now almost NOTHING for the gs430
please direct me to these so called off the shelf kits.
Old 12-08-09, 09:27 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea...what "off the shelf" sc kits are there for the 400??

here's a hint...there isn't any...RMM was off the shelf and stayed off the shelf cause its discontinued.
Old 12-09-09, 08:25 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by speedaddic

here's a hint...there isn't any...RMM was off the shelf and stayed off the shelf cause its discontinued.

thats what i thought. just wanted to see if that guy found the holy grail or something. lol
Old 12-09-09, 08:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
please direct me to these so called off the shelf kits.

Originally Posted by Ultra Vip
thats what i thought. just wanted to see if that guy found the holy grail or something. lol
like normal speed.....u wrong but jump on this bandwagon too. you especially should know they had off the shelf kits since you have a SC gs.(i never said they were still in production i just said they had off the shelf kits, i guess i shoulda changed my wording from are several off the shelf kits to were several off the shelf kits)
im honestly not looking to get into a argument with you speed though as lately with me thats all u and the fonzi seem to want to do

back in the day.....before i had my GS

Supercharger (OFF THE SHELF KITS)
there was a RMM kit and a SRT kit and i think another

I think JET still has a supercharger for the gs400 i know currently they do for the gs430 but you have to call bout it, their website no longer shows it

Turbo ( OFF THE SHELF KIT) still in production just expensive
http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com/pr...0_turbo_v3.htm

Last edited by sakataj; 12-09-09 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-09-09, 11:15 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

^ All has been said already about a bazillion times. I wish some new vendor came out with a new SC setup.
Old 12-09-09, 02:37 PM
bgsymalone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jbrady
This is good advice.

Regarding the 1998+ VVTi V8 engines (GS4xx, LS4xx, SC4xx, LX470) the stock connecting rods are very weak and ANY detonation is a BIG problem. I would keep nitrous below 100hp and in fact probably keep it to 75hp.

One problem is distribution. Modern EFI manifolds are "DRY" meaning no fuel distribution engineering as fuel is injected at the port. Nitrous is chemical supercharging that increases the available nitrogen and oxygen to a engine. The oxygen MUST have enough fuel (gasoline, alcohol, LPG) to prevent a lean out condition that WILL hurt the engine. The problem is the intake probably will NOT equally distribute the nitrous and DEFINITELY will not equally distribute the fuel.

The best way to address this is with an individual port nitrous system. This is a much more expensive route and usually designed for much higher horsepower applications. Getting small enough nozzles is important.

So, if you keep the power increase to 75hp and you have the system properly installed utilizing a "window" switch as advised above (only allows the nitrous to work for a specific RPM range such as 3000rpm to 5800rpm) you will probably do ok.

Of course you may want to make the available NA mods such as the K&N FIPK, headers and tuning to gain up to 50hp before considering the nitrous. Additionally a Precision Industries torque converter will make a BIG performance improvement.
Thanks guys for the input, its really helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
Will definitely be looking into that Window switch. Thanks for the headsup on the torque converter as well.
Old 12-09-09, 05:37 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

like normal speed.....u wrong but jump on this bandwagon too. you especially should know they had off the shelf kits since you have a SC gs.(i never said they were still in production i just said they had off the shelf kits, i guess i shoulda changed my wording from are several off the shelf kits to were several off the shelf kits)
im honestly not looking to get into a argument with you speed though as lately with me thats all u and the fonzi seem to want to do

back in the day.....before i had my GS

Supercharger (OFF THE SHELF KITS)
there was a RMM kit and a SRT kit and i think another

I think JET still has a supercharger for the gs400 i know currently they do for the gs430 but you have to call bout it, their website no longer shows it

Turbo ( OFF THE SHELF KIT) still in production just expensive
http://www.mahdavimotorsports.com/pr...0_turbo_v3.htm
LOL...my point in posting was not to argue with you. I don't see how posting "there are off the shelf sc kits for gs400" is going to help the original poster when they aren't available...when was the last time one went up for sale?? How is your post helping the OP besides a +1 post? can you answer that? The Nitrous kits are way cheaper HP to go by far for our cars. He can get a nitrous kit for around $500-600, when you post about the sc kit which would be minimum $4500 (which is rare to find in the first place) plus what most people don't realize is that to have it reliable can cost up to $10k or more.

Last edited by speedaddic; 12-09-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 08:45 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bgsymalone
Thanks guys for the input, its really helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
Will definitely be looking into that Window switch. Thanks for the headsup on the torque converter as well.
You're welcome.

The converter will make the car launch much harder and shift quicker as well as wind out a touch faster at high RPM due to its slightly smaller and lighter design.

For nitrous you definitely will want to get the exhaust out better and headers are a big plus there. Actually, I would not consider adding power to a GS4xx without improving the exhaust manifolds - which of course are a power adder in themselves. As with nitrous you will not be aware of the cylinders that are struggling due to the undesireable conditions. Several of the stock exhaust manifold ports are definitely compromised by the stock parts. The headers relieve this making the engine happier and stronger. Get the headers and each cylinder is closer balanced just like a port nitrous gives each cylinder the same dose of power.

In order of improvement: converter, headers (with stock cats and existing exhaust) cold air intake (my preference is the K&N at this point) and A/F ratio tuning. With the converter you may want to get a limited slip differential which includes the Supra Turbo part or adding an LSD carrier to the stock housing and gearing. Just the converter and headers will REALLY wake up the car.
Old 12-09-09, 09:33 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

jbrady, how much hp do you think the stock connecting rods can handle? 450whp pushing it?
Old 12-09-09, 10:42 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

jbrady, how much hp do you think the stock connecting rods can handle? 450whp pushing it?
Speed, the stock rods in the 1995 and newer engines are fragile. How much power they can take is hard to know in terms of RWHP. I would suggest the biggest concern is abnormal combustion including detonation and pre-ignition. As you increase power with supercharging, turbocharging or nitrous (all three have common characteristics) you have less and less margin before reaching detonation and pre-ignition. RPMs are also a problem but the stock engine is limited so that is not usually a problem. I know that the Tundra with the 4.7 has had more than a few rod failures when running superchargers.

Here is a comparison courtesy of Lextreme

Old 12-10-09, 11:01 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tom's and Wald make superchargers for the 3UZ.

wow, toyota cheaped out on us.

Quick Reply: Nitrous power? How much is to much?