Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

just a cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 11:06 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a cam swap?

i searched for cam posts on here but never got a solid answer..

Last weekend i was in long beach and took a ride in a friend's Nissan President aka Infiniti Q45.. he had a quad cam swap and straight pipes with cat deletes.. The sound and pull was amazing..especialy for such a large heavy car. My question to you all is to do a cam swap is it just the cams or rocker arms, springs and such? I have 2GS and am interested in the swap but am ignorant to the totality of it all..ie: smog certs, power gains, CPU upgrade, reliability etc...I was told it is at least a 80-100hp gain. a possible 100 horses for around $1000..that is well worth it on on a NA engine as long as it is not hazardous to it's health. Please help.
Old 01-04-10, 05:16 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

First off from what I hear removing your cats in Cali is a major no-no. I hear they have the toughest smog rules in the nation.

Secondly performance cams alone for our cars are around 1k.

http://www.lextreme.com/Lexus-Toyota-cams.html

Then you need to tune the motor for the camshafts..

If you are looking to tune na... your best bet for the cash is to get a set of headers, intake, exhaust, then tune it up with a neo or something similar.
Old 01-04-10, 10:48 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSJake
First off from what I hear removing your cats in Cali is a major no-no. I hear they have the toughest smog rules in the nation.

Secondly performance cams alone for our cars are around 1k.

http://www.lextreme.com/Lexus-Toyota-cams.html

Then you need to tune the motor for the camshafts..

If you are looking to tune na... your best bet for the cash is to get a set of headers, intake, exhaust, then tune it up with a neo or something similar.
I would agree with the above. I am not someone to tell you what to do, more ask why... But If it were me, I would weigh the fine of removing cats vs. the amount of power loss of the cats. As I think for a shop, not a person, but a shop could face up to I think $50,000 per cat that is cut off, so I would steer away from that route, but it's your build and it's up to you. I just think with sraight pipes, your only asking for a CHP to pull you over and take a look under the bonnet. I would also be suspect of someone telling you "yeah, it was an 80-100 horsepower gain" because it tells you it's not actually factual (i.e. dyno results) and like the saying goes... "Men lie, women lie, numbers don't". There are tons of people around that have actually put cams in 1UZs however only a handful of people doing VVT-i profiles. You don't state what 2GS you have, if it's a V8 then if your really looking for NA power, you would def need some intake, cams, full exhaust (headers & cat back). If you've got a I6, I wouldn't even waste your time with NA. Do your homework and you will definately find some answers, ones that you won't like. To make 400 horsepower your looking at a PRETTY PENNY! If you asked me, I think he is making more power obviously, but I think it's more of a seat of the pant feel especially with no sound deadening.
Old 01-04-10, 12:16 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm willing to bet $1000 he didn't get 100hp from a cam swap
Old 01-04-10, 04:24 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Anything is possible but people sometimes exaggerate and the Q45 owner may or may not be telling the truth.

I have some Q45 experience and there was at least one I recall with a screw type supercharger. Cams? Possible but very small market and much more than$1000 for parts & labor and the results are hard to predict. 50hp would be impressive.

Precision Industries lists a converter for 90-95 Q45s and someone could also recurve a stocker.

A Q45 is rated at 340hp and probably 250-260rwhp stock. A converter and a tune would wake one up. Interesting to know just what this car had done. The stock 4.5 liter is fairly torquey feeling vs my 4.0.
Old 01-04-10, 07:22 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be interesting to see Rock-a-Lex throw in a set of cams with maybe a port/polish, and of course an AFC re-tune...

Not a real agressive grind, though...it's a Lexus, not a 'Cuda.
Old 01-04-10, 09:31 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

afc won't be too great of a tune for a cam imo. If I can get these FIC/8 going correctly, it would be perfect to tune an N/A setup
Old 01-05-10, 06:27 PM
GS300-2002
Pole Position

if you really want the extra power start off with a intake & headers mod because you will definitely need those regardless and see how you like it and if you want to go farther. But be careful with cali emissions. Also i would recommend a new torque conv. while it doesnt add power it helps alot
Old 01-09-10, 10:04 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you just need to know someone for smog its all possible its just who you know not what you know!!!!