Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

640rwhp at 19psi, Th400 w/ unlocked converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 08:27 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
OK Guys, First, Lets not start all the BS Debate here! We can all Read the one sided version on SF. Then we can read even more on mkivsupra.net
Frankly I am sick of reading it all, its obvious that several people have strong opinions of what happened and maybe some people got the short end of the stick, but, its all been covered time and time again, ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT HERE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, to what the thread is about.

Eric, I am really glad to see these numbers! This is excellent! Nicely done! Reppin the V8 in a inline six world is not a easy task, good form!
Thanks Scott,

Yeah, it's the same story every where. Since I can't defend myself on SF, it's very one sided. There's a lot more to it that people don't know and that I won't bring here.

On the numbers, they're really promising! There's still mor to be had in the midrange no doubt, but I can handle that on my end before it goes back in for more tuning. I think the next tuning session we're going to push it to 25-28psi. That should max out my injectors. All this still on a two bolt main. I can't complain about that. Holler at me if you'd like, I'd like to know more about your engine and how it's going.
Old 01-09-10, 08:29 AM
alpha6164
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Actually alpha, youre' completely wrong. The pistons are just as they came from Ross. Right out the box and into the freshly honed block. It sounds like you've been listening to the know it all's that believe their way is the only way. Well alpha, it's your information that's a joke. The proof is in the pudding my friend. But I don't blame you.. you're just repeating garbage from another misguided human being that has 0 experience with this V8.

On the race gas, I run it because I choose to run it. On my old white car, people like you whined that I never ran race gas. Oh the crying never stopped. Now the crying doesn't stop because I run the good stuff 24/7. Bank then pump gas was all I could afford, but now we're doing a little better in life so the good stuff goes in full time. It's a matter of choice.

Let me tell a short story. Back when I still had the white car, I used to drive it every day. A couple years into it, I showed up at a sumertime Titan meet. A nice fellow caame over and said something to the effect of. "It was a really nice car when if first came out, but it looks like you've really driven it." That made me sad. So now I don't drive my car hardly at all and a year into it, it looks as new as the day it came off the trailer. That's one of the reasons why I run race gas all the time, so as not to be tempted to take it out everyday and have it eventually look like a rolled up has been.

You may not like it alpha, but that's the truth. It's not exciting or controverisal, but then the real facts hardly ever are. Let me know when your V8TT starts making power. I won't come into your thread to throw salt, but instead I will congratulate.

Eric, come on man. Since you "can't defend yourself on SF" then defend yourself here. Please stop the running around in circles. Why did you delete all the pics on SF? Why? Answer that for me. I dare you to post the pics of the pistons and head right here right now so the experienced engine builders can look and come to their own conclusions.

Did you not tout this setup as a powerful torque monster that will be so superior to the 2JZ so it can be used with pump gas? Are you denying that to me? I followed that thread from day one for three damn years. Now because you are so rich you want to use Q16 all the time? Give me a break. I wipe myself with $100 bills and even i dont want to run Q16 ALL THE TIME.

You forget that you posted the dyno with pump gas on SF and your car was over heating on pump gas and it didnt make any power, none. How is it that my 3.4L setup makes 605whp at 16psi with 93 octane and your 4.7L TT with Q16 and 19psi makes only 640whp???? Something is seriously wrong with your setup. Again, instead of prancing this thing around, i suggest you do the right thing, pull the engine and correct all the issues.

When my CLS55 was being repaired at Stefan's i was there, and your car leaked everywhere. Stefan had to build a pan to collect all the fluids that were pouring out from every spot just to keep all the fluids off his floor. The engine sounded like a diesel it rattled so bad. If i heard this from other people i might be skeptical. I have nothing to gain or lose in this. I have no horse in this race. I just do not like misinformation to be spread to people that do not know about this engine.

Last edited by alpha6164; 01-09-10 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 08:57 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by alpha6164
Eric, come on man. Since you "can't defend yourself on SF" then defend yourself here. Please stop the running around in circles. Why did you delete all the pics on SF? Why? Answer that for me. I dare you to post the pics of the pistons and head right here right now so the experienced engine builders can look and come to their own conclusions.

Did you not tout this setup as a powerful torque monster that will be so superior to the 2JZ so it can be used with pump gas? Are you denying that to me? I followed that thread from day one for three damn years. Now because you are so rich you want to use Q16 all the time? Give me a break. I wipe myself with $100 bills and even i dont want to run Q16 ALL THE TIME.

You forget that you posted the dyno with pump gas on SF and your car was over heating on pump gas and it didnt make any power, none. How is it that my 3.4L setup makes 605whp at 16psi with 93 octane and your 4.7L TT with Q16 and 19psi makes only 640whp???? Something is seriously wrong with your setup. Again, instead of prancing this thing around, i suggest you do the right thing, pull the engine and correct all the issues.

When my CLS55 was being repaired at Stefan's i was there, and your car leaked everywhere. Stefan had to build a pan to collect all the fluids that were pouring out from every spot just to keep all the fluids off his floor. The engine sounded like a diesel it rattled so bad. If i heard this from other people i might be skeptical. I have nothing to gain or lose in this. I have no horse in this race. I just do not like misinformation to be spread to people that do not know about this engine.
Alpha, from where I sit, doing exactly, that. Spreading misinformation to people that don't know about this engine. Sorry man, but it's true. I deleted my pics on SF and asked for my threads to be deleted as well because I'm exhausted running around in the same circles, talking about the same things, and trying to convince people that will never be convinced. There's no joy in it. Did I plan on enjoying the engine as a pump gas motor? I don't know man, maybe like three years ago? I don't know. I run Q16 all the time, but as I stated, I don't drive the car all the time. So the cost works out.

What dyno on pump gas are you refering to? I haven't posted a pump gas dyno in like 4-5 years? And it certainly wasn't overheating. I think at the time it (the 2jz) was making 614rwhp at 14psi, and it was tooling around just dandy. Nothing is wrong with my V8TT setup, it's making an appropriate amount of HP for the boost level, transmission, and gearing. That's plain. Torque could be higher though, but I can get that sorted here before we go back for more boost. If you're talking in terms on engine response, if there is lag, then I sure don't feel it. That foot rolls forward and the car launches out. Can't get that with a 2jz.

Are you talking about the leaking transmission?? I guess you would be, that was leaking pretty badly at the time. The Th400 had a bad pump and it was lekaing everywhere at an alarming rate when the motor was running. It seemed to be the main issue with the original 380rwhp dyno figure being so low. Jay Meager called it when he saw it. I handed Jay the car, he fixed the transmission, and now it picked up 40rwhp at [near as makes no difference] the same boost level. Again, the truth isn't dazzling, it's down to a bad GM pump. The engine and trans is sealed up tight as a drum. I'm sure if it was leaking as you said, Darin would have been mighty upset that it was leakig all over his new dyno, but of course it wasn't. Fixed, and moved on.

The way I see it, there's only really three people that know about this engine. The person that built it, the person that tuned it, and myself. The rest is just armchair speculation and rock throwing. Well this discredited little engine just put out 640rwhp at 19psi though an unlocked Th400 converter. That's rounghly 700-720rwhp through a manual trans. There's no discreditng that.

Last edited by c0wboy; 01-09-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:07 AM
alpha6164
Rookie

^^^Eric, none of what you say makes sense. I can guarantee there are more than a few people that know about that engine. The moment you posted the pics of the head and piston, several well known engine builders told you that the compression heights were wrong and that your head was bad and you said "well i dont feel like changing out the pistons etc and i am just gonna wing and see what happens."

Tell me this. Why would anyone in their right mind want to go with option, all the pain and hassles just to run Q16 and make 640whp? Guys with stock 2jzs are making upper 800-800whp with no mods and just fuel, turbo, and EMS. The whole idea of a bigger displacement was that you could make lots of power on low boost AND pump gas. For you to play dumb and say you dont remember if you wanted to run pump gas is also dishonest and shady. Again how is it that my 3.4L supra makes 605whp on 16psi and pump gas and your 4.7LTT on Q16 and 19psi makes 640whp?

Just come out and say that this car wont run on pump gas and i will leave it alone. If not, strap that car on dyno put some 93octane give me a 14-16psi run and then lets see what happens. I guarantee you will have a rod thru that block.

Last edited by alpha6164; 01-09-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:27 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by alpha6164
^^^Eric, none of what you say makes sense. I can guarantee there are more than a few people that know about that engine. The moment you posted the pics of the head and piston, several well engine builders told you that the compression heights were wrong and your head was bad and you said "well i dont feel like changing out the pistons and i am just gonna wing and see what happens."

Why would anyone in their right mind want to go with option, all the pain and hassles just to run Q16 and make 640whp? Guys with stock 2jzs are making upper 800-800whp with no mods and just fuel, turbo, and EMS. The whole idea of a bigger displacement was that you could make lots of power on low boost AND pump gas. For you to play dumb and say you dont remember if you wanted to run pump gas is also dishonest and shady. Again how is it that my 3.4L supra makes 605whp on 16psi and pump gas and your 4.7LTT on Q16 and 19psi makes 640whp?

Just come out and say that this car wont run on pump gas and i will leave it alone. If not, strap that car on dyno put some 93octane give me a 14-16psi run and then lets see what happens. I guarantee you will have a rod thru that block.
Who said we were done tuning? I was asked if I wanted more power and to carry on, but I asked for the tuning to hold off until I can sort the midrange out. After that, hey, let's run it up to 25-28psi. But it's pointless chasing a number if the midrange is bleeding away. It's just something to sort out and go back for more. It's true guys are making 800rwhp on a 2jz, but there's 2.0L's making 600HP NA.. so what. If the whole idea of the V8TT to you is to make big power with lower boost and pump gas, then I say great dude, go for it. If you're asking can my car run on pump gas, well of course it can. It would take an entire retune and probably less boost, but sure.

What I find interesting is that you guys think that race gas is this magic bandaid that give you gobs more power than pump gas and can make a junk motor into a superstar. Man you may want to look into it further. Race gas gives LESS horsepower at a certain boost level than pump gas with all other conditions being the same. It's slower buring and much more stable. The upshot is that when the boost is turned up, it's perfect for the application.

I just don't see why I should expend the time and money to detune the car to show that it can run on pump gas so as to satisfy people that I've never even met, and to be quite honest have been rude and disrespectful to me. Like I said, back when I had the white car, it was the same story, but opposite octane.

I've come to a conclusion that no matter what I do it'll never be enough. The motor can make great power, but there will be those who cry about it. That's fine, as long as you acknowledge that the HP being made is valid.
Old 01-09-10, 09:37 AM
alpha6164
Rookie

^^^What you just said above further points out to me that you have no idea what you are talking about. Race gas is not a magic band-aid. However, it will surely cover up an engine that was built wrong with too much of compression. The only reason that engine has not grenaded is because the Q16 which i might add is oxygenated gas and makes 10% more power than even VP16 is in use. By using such gas you are covering up the fact that the engine has super high compression. Any more questions?

Also, who said that you need a retune to run pump gas? Are you crazy? Both Darin and Justin Nenni have tuned my cars. The only thing that changes with pump is less timing during the pump gas range. Any decent tuner which includes Darin at Titan or Justin Nenni all tune with maps that boost compensated. If you dont know this means that lets say from 0-16psi it will assume you are using pump gas and lower timing by lets say 3 degrees and after it reaches a set psi the timing and fuel will switch to race gas parameters.

Since you would never run 25psi on pump gas you would never be on that part of the map to make a difference. In my car i have a switch that if i do have race gas i flip it over and AEM will add those 3degrees to the 0-16psi range and i am good to go.

Dont make it sound like rocket science to run pump gas. There are plenty of people that run pump and race gas with no issues. Any other questions?
Old 01-09-10, 09:44 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Wait.. you say what I say makes no sense, but then you agree with what I say? It's clear that you came on here just to break *****.

You claim I have super high compression.. what's my compression ratio Alpha? You seem to know, so let's hear it.
Old 01-09-10, 09:49 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

We've spoken several times, mostly me emailing you and you not returning my email, on one occasion you happened to return my email to tell my you were still working on the intake manifold, but who cares, it doesn't change the fact that your build is just a mask of a poorly built motor. As much as I love a turbo UZ, I don't like someone ruining it for everyone else. There are people out there trying to build these motors, just not half-assers. The reason why I brought it up here is because what you are reading is the truth about the motor. Do you think if you put together a 2UZ TT motor, you wouldn't have pictures of the entire assembly? Sheit, I rebuilt a 1UZ and I have over 100 pictures of it, and theres nothing custom in it. I am sorry if you guys think that we are out to just ruin him, but he needs to be exposed, I hope this thread stays open so we all can understand who this guy is, it's one excuse after a lie, after another excuse. The only reason why people are doing this is because we are trying to save the platform and there are tons of people doing it the right way, just not this guy. How can he give you the compression ratio, there are no pictures or any outside information other than what you say to go buy, other than when the thread was up on SF, now it gone and all we can see if the shell of the motor. I'm done.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 01-09-10 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-09-10, 09:52 AM
tom steele
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is one bad *** car man keep up the good work
Old 01-09-10, 10:26 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
We've spoken several times, mostly me emailing you and you not returning my email, on one occasion you happened to return my email to tell my you were still working on the intake manifold, but who cares, it doesn't change the fact that your build is just a mask of a poorly built motor. As much as I love a turbo UZ, I don't like someone ruining it for everyone else. There are people out there trying to build these motors, just not half-assers. The reason why I brought it up here is because what you are reading is the truth about the motor. Do you think if you put together a 2UZ TT motor, you wouldn't have pictures of the entire assembly? Sheit, I rebuilt a 1UZ and I have over 100 pictures of it, and theres nothing custom in it. I am sorry if you guys think that we are out to just ruin him, but he needs to be exposed, I hope this thread stays open so we all can understand who this guy is, it's one excuse after a lie, after another excuse. The only reason why people are doing this is because we are trying to save the platform and there are tons of people doing it the right way, just not this guy. How can he give you the compression ratio, there are no pictures or any outside information other than what you say to go buy, other than when the thread was up on SF, now it gone and all we can see if the shell of the motor. I'm done.
I' sorry, but what's your name? I don't remember you. I have every e-mail saved since 2005, but I don't see where you've written me. If I have a proper name, then I can run a search. The only thing I know about you is that that you're young, probably 19-20, and recently graduated from some technical institute.

Your accusations are unfounded and unappreciated. Ruining the 'uzfe? quite the contrary. Pushing it forward is more accurate.

Listen, I don't know you and as far as I know we've never talked. You seem like a nice kid, but your animosity is misguided. Again, I invite you to call me if you've got questions or a problem in general.
Old 01-09-10, 10:29 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by tom steele
that is one bad *** car man keep up the good work
Thank you Tom, it's very much appreciated. I do apolgize for the circus that this thread has turned into, though.
Old 01-09-10, 11:15 AM
alpha6164
Rookie

Wait.. you say what I say makes no sense, but then you agree with what I say? It's clear that you came on here just to break *****.

You claim I have super high compression.. what's my compression ratio Alpha? You seem to know, so let's hear it.

Again you are doing your circle jerk and being vague.

I have asked you a couple of things and you keep ignoring my questions or requests. If you are a man and stand by your word do the following:

1) Post pictures of the head and pistons
2) Put the car on a dyno and run pump gas and 16psi
3) Explain to me why anyone would be stupid enough to use this setup
4) And admit that using Q16 would hide the fact that the engine is high compression.

I cant tell you how high exactly your compression and that is irrelevant. I know looking at the pictures of your head it looks really high. Enough that you have to run Q16 so the engine does not let go. And high enough that you dont have the ***** to tune it on pump gas. Nuff said.

If you are not willing to do the above. You need to pour a couple of gallons of that Q16 on that car and lit it on fire. Also, i did not come here to bust your chops. I just bought a Lexus IS-F less than two weeks ago and also own my 3.4L supra and happen to come across this thread and had to call spades when i see spades.
Old 01-09-10, 11:25 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Wait, so you can't tell me what my CR is? But you seem to know it so well. Trust me, I know what it is. I know why you came on this thread and I know why you you ran off to SF and bragged about how you're giving me a hard time. If want info all you have to do is e-mail or call, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again, please explain to me what you think my compression ratio is. You're throwing stones, now back it up.
Old 01-09-10, 11:34 AM
Brent77
Rookie

Again, please explain to me what you think my compression ratio is. You're throwing stones, now back it up.
I think he wanted a picture of the head and the pistons for that reason???
Old 01-09-10, 11:42 AM
c0wboy
Banned

He has pics, he's trying to bring a tired arguement to CL and I'm not willing to do that. The car is making good power for the boost and transmission, and that's plain. The reason he's breaking ***** is to give me a hard time, and if he's so sure he knows what why compression ratio is, then I'm all ears.

Quick Reply: 640rwhp at 19psi, Th400 w/ unlocked converter