Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Wr Cab + Srt Hfi

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-02, 02:09 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WR CAB + SRT HFI

For the newbies, that’s Weapon-R Cold Air Box + Swift Racing Technologies High Flow Intake.

This wasn’t exactly a marriage made in heaven – in fact, it’s been more like a shotgun wedding – the WR CAB didn’t go willingly – I had to force them to mate.

I thought that this was worth a try – I’ve disliked the excessive noise of the intake from the beginning, but I do feel like it improves performance (dyno trials will prove me right or wrong). The shield that comes with the SRT simply does nothing to stifle noise and probably little to reduce heat. The WR CAB was nicely packaged with plastic protection on the sheet metal and all necessary parts. The aluminum is a thinner gauge than the SRT shield was though.

I had to enlarge the tube hole (SRT tube being larger) and cut out an area to clear the MAF sensor – I used a metal nipper. Then I glued insulation to all interior surfaces. The insulation was from J.C. Whitney as was the adhesive. The contact adhesive is designed for high heat applications and isn’t flammable. One side of the insulation is reflective and it’s about a quarter inch thick. The insulation was more for noise reduction than for heat control. Painted the outside flat black high-temp paint and went for a ride.

And by damn, IT WORKS! The result is a reduction in noise by about 2/3 – it still has a growl but the nasty wooooo sound at certain rpms has just about gone away – I can hear my L-Tuned pipes again! For me, this was a worthwhile project – the car sounds like a Lexus again (a baddd Lexus).

I guess you’d have to be **** about the intake noise to do what I did – call me a noiseaphobe if you want, but this has improved my enjoyment of the car by a bunch. I took some pictures during install but will only post the finished product for now. BTW, thanks to Sasha for help in getting the CAB.

My .35 cents worth!
Attached Thumbnails Wr Cab + Srt Hfi-wr-cab-srt-hfi.jpg  

Last edited by garnet92; 05-17-02 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 02:34 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks phat.....

for some reason when i take the CAB off .... it dosent seem the same..
when i put it back in... it seems to pull harder.... seems like it works... i also have a tube going from my bumper opening leading into the cold air box from the bottom.
Old 05-17-02, 03:48 PM
RacingAristo

The WR CAB is around $200, isn't it? So the whole package costs $525 + $200 + some shipping....damn...
Old 05-17-02, 07:53 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

The whole idea of cold air intakes box cofused me. It made the intake area look like stock box with high flow material filter.. and different place to obtain air....????
Old 05-17-02, 08:10 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shinchan, the whole concept of the cold airbox is to shield the air intake from the power robbing engine heat. Cold air is denser and has more oxygen molecules per cubic inch. More air equals an engine that is breathing better equals more power. If you take the lid off the cold airbox you will feel a noticable decrease in performance.
Old 05-18-02, 01:56 AM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

noiseaphobe

That is a real nice airbox. Where can I get more info on purchasing one? Anyone here on clublexus reselling them for less than $200 ??
Old 05-18-02, 09:39 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default WR CAB

Mariusz - I don’t know how much demand there is for the CAB? Most owners probably aren’t as **** about the noise as I am. Before the insulated CAB, I was seriously considering going back to the oem intake. Now I’m a happy camper (so far) and it was worth the bucks and effort for me. You might contact Sasha (LexusRules) to see if he thinks that there would be enough interest to do a group buy on the WR CAB.
Old 05-19-02, 06:53 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

glad you had a good experiance with teh WR CAB, sorry so much work had to be done to make it fit.

Marisuz PM me and i'll get you a price
Old 05-19-02, 07:29 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

alright I have a question, how can the intake cover, be any different then whats already in the stock GS, since the stock intake uses that air slot to direct very cold air into the intake, could someone clarify that for me? thanks

ShOwGS
Old 05-19-02, 06:08 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Hey ShowGSLuVv ,

I have exactly the same question for the CAB.

Its almost the same idea as the stock air box.. idea..
Old 05-19-02, 06:26 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Right

Guys, from my perspective, the question isn’t a comparison of the oem unit and the CAB – I’m comparing the WR closed box (yes, like the stock unit) to the open shield of the SRT intake that was already in place. So, when you start from the premise of already having the non-stock intake (stock airbox out), the only comparison I can make is how noisy the intake is with the CAB vs. the way it was with a side and rear shield only. Make sense?
Old 05-19-02, 09:09 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

hAS anyone try using the akimoto intake with the wr box instead?
Old 05-25-02, 04:43 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey guys..
I've been looking at Intakes for a long time. Seems like the SRT is the best one so far (duh)
But, I understand Garnet was trying to quiet down his SRT intake.. The Air Box is Bad to the bone! But The concept is alittle confusing. Having an open filter enclosed in a box is like having a factory Air Box except for maybe the advantages of the filter is bigger and can suck in more air. Correct me if I'm wrong...
We all know that the Stock box has a slot DIRECTING Air into the Box-The WR does not, except one of you guys said you had a tube from the lower bumper directing air to the box which sounds sensible..But for now, I would like to see a cold air intake/box whatever be similar to stock having some kind of induction slot like the stock box would seem more beneficial or you can totally get the whole deal---I know we are all the same type people-We own GS4's!!!! We demand Perfection!
So, If I was going to do it, Do it right.. The only solution right now is to have the SRT/with WR Box but have the box vented from the bottom with a tube from lower bumper..Its either that or wait on or customize your own intake using the stock induction slot..

Has anybody tried to build a Intake/AirBox incorporating the stock
induction slot with any of the intakes out there?!?
If not, I think I gonna try build one..What you need? Plastic/Fiberglass-parts and stock pieces...

Later,
QWK
Old 05-25-02, 05:31 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Go for it!

1QWK – no, you can’t use the stock inlet scoop with the SRT intake – it is designed to occupy the same space that the SRT intake pipe currently occupies. It’s probably not as inefficient as it may seem. Even though the oem “scoop” looks fairly large, it narrows to something less than 2 ½ x 6 inch when it enters the old airbox. The oem airbox is fed by that scoop only, it doesn’t accept air from anywhere else. The WR CAB is only enclosed on the top and 2 sides (car sheet metal forms the 4th side). It is not actually a closed box but is open to air coming in from the bottom - air that is coming from the lower grille area beneath the headlights. If there’s any reduction of incoming air, apparently it’s not detrimental. I’ve had no reduction in performance and if fact perhaps some small gain.

All any of us with a CAB are trying to do is replace what the oem unit did – eliminate the intake noise and insulate the incoming air from engine compartment heat. I do agree that some form of tube directing “forced” air into the CAB would be the best answer – but you have to be sure that the tube doesn’t reduce the overall amount of air that enters the filter. If you develop something, do some pictures and give the rest of us a look at your solution.

My .35 cents worth.
Old 05-25-02, 07:09 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Pics!!

Wheres' the pics of this marriage! Like to see! Thanx!

Peace!

Quick Reply: Wr Cab + Srt Hfi