Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What is this dash light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-10, 07:55 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this dash light?

I don't have the owners manual with me (I'm at work) and I have no idea what to search for.

At first, I thought it was informing me my bulb(s) were out on the rear tails, but that's not it (I think, since I have never had a car that can do that lol). The light has come and gone the past couple of days and it usually stays on until I shut the car off for a few minutes or longer then turn it back on.

Forgive the bad cell phone picture.

Old 01-26-10, 08:31 AM
young's 96
Lead Lap

one of your back lights are out thats what it means trying checking that light in back window also.
Old 01-26-10, 08:38 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be a pain in the ***, but try checking all the rear lights for loose connections. I had a buddy with a similar problem and it was because his inner tail light bulb was moving around and getting a bad connection from being a little loose.
Old 01-26-10, 04:32 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

Well if you just installed some LED tail lights, and it came on then yeah you have to bypass it. but other then that, yeah i agree burnt out or something...
Old 01-27-10, 04:09 AM
Emil
Pole Position

as above rear light gone somewhere,you need to take the 10mm nuts off from in the boot,and then the two from the outside,you'll see two black cover's which need to be pryed up with a small screwdriver,and then your nuts (lol) will be there

loose plug also causes this as i found out,boot full of luggage caused the light to come on,empty boot i had no light...
Old 01-27-10, 08:08 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I had my girl look for burnt out bulbs, but she said everything came on fine (reverse, brake, parking, blinker, etc), so I'm sure it's just a wonky connection somewhere. I need to check it out this weekend.
Old 01-27-10, 08:10 AM
lowNslow
Driver

i have the same light i gotta check this out too
Old 01-27-10, 01:00 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by c4lvin
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I had my girl look for burnt out bulbs, but she said everything came on fine (reverse, brake, parking, blinker, etc), so I'm sure it's just a wonky connection somewhere. I need to check it out this weekend.
mine did this also and it took me a minute to find them.....sometimes my bulb would light up, sometimes it wouldnt.

check the third brake light in rear window if your wingless, the SIDE brake lights on the tails and the inners....trust me one is out all mine looked like they were on but finally i found one that sometimes lit up and sometimes didnt.

why dont u try her sitting in the car and turning the lights on and pushing the pedal so YOU can look
Old 01-27-10, 09:55 PM
GCOP
Driver

mine seems to come on at ramdom, obviously I have a loose connection somehwere. Everytime I look back there, all the bulbs are good.
Old 01-28-10, 09:02 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The light indicator is usually pretty accurate. I'm sure you have a light out and your gf couldn't tell. The outer taillights are hard to tell with an unexperienced eye. There are like 3 sets of bulbs in there per taillight I think, and a total of 5-6 filaments. If one is out, then it will make that light come on. It's hard to see if you don't look carefully. Either way it doesn't matter because you shouldn't get pulled over for it, but having the light on the dash can get annoying. Legally you're only required to have 2 tail light bulbs operational. The GS has a total of 8 lol!

I think you should switch spots and have her hold the brake while you take a look.
Old 01-28-10, 11:39 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The light indicator is usually pretty accurate. I'm sure you have a light out and your gf couldn't tell. The outer taillights are hard to tell with an unexperienced eye. There are like 3 sets of bulbs in there per taillight I think, and a total of 5-6 filaments. If one is out, then it will make that light come on. It's hard to see if you don't look carefully. Either way it doesn't matter because you shouldn't get pulled over for it, but having the light on the dash can get annoying. Legally you're only required to have 2 tail light bulbs operational. The GS has a total of 8 lol!

I think you should switch spots and have her hold the brake while you take a look.
Thanks Jeff.

The light is off now randomly.
Old 01-28-10, 12:18 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

One of your bulbs probably just has intermittent contact. It was happening in my other GS. I just pulled the bulb out and reseated it and my problem went away.