Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No more S&S Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 05:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sc4demon
Rush Imports from Australia makes them

http://rushimports.com.au/store/index.php?cPath=6
I don't think those fit the VVT heads.
Old 02-08-10, 07:04 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by angus
This is just sad , I remember S&S from when I was a child.

Does anyone know who makes the long tube headers I have seen?
Angus, there are kind of a long tube option for the SC400 but they are not a tuned or optimized design and there is a mid tube length for the SC400 but again not tuned or optimized.

While an optimized long tube is arguably the best design for maximum performance they are better for engines with long duration cam timing which of course the Lexus V8s are not.

Even Corvettes have limited gains going from a good design shorty manifold to a carefully designed long tube and these engines have more cam timing than ours.

The Lexus manifold designs are particularly poor but with such short cam timing they end up working surprisingly well.

The S&S were a very good compromise and hopefully someone will offer an alternative part that will fit in stock location, allow stock cats and oxy sensor and keep low end torque while supporting peak power.
Old 02-08-10, 07:40 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I don't think those fit the VVT heads.
i think they do b/c i emailed him a few months ago when i considered in buying a pair but never went through...he said they did and i qoute from the email:
" Yes I have the Mild Steel in stock.

Stainless Steel should be completed in about 30 days ( hopefully )

Yes, they will bolt to the 98 Model SC400 VVT-i

They do not bolt directly to the factory system, you will need to have the system
redone. ( In NA I recommend no larger than 2 1/4" )

Costs are as follows.

Mild Steel $570 USD

Stanless Steel $665 USD

Shipping and Handling $160 USD

Amounts are good for 14 days ( Currency fluctuations )

PayPal fee of 3.5% of total transaction.

Allow 2 - 3 weeks for delivery ( Sent on Express Post )

Regards,
Neil Griffiths
Director.

Queanbeyan Auto Tech
Rush Imports www.rushimports.com.au
NRMA Batteries Nth Canberra
The Worksafe Van www.theworksafevan.com.au"
Old 02-09-10, 09:38 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrady
The S&S were a very good compromise and hopefully someone will offer an alternative part that will fit in stock location, allow stock cats and oxy sensor and keep low end torque while supporting peak power.
im honestly shocked with all your knowledge YOU dont make us one...and im serious i have never known anyone who knows that much bout exhausts/headers. so how bout it..........?

Originally Posted by sc4demon
i think they do b/c i emailed him a few months ago when i considered in buying a pair but never went through...he said they did and i qoute from the email:
" Yes I have the Mild Steel in stock.

Stainless Steel should be completed in about 30 days ( hopefully )

Yes, they will bolt to the 98 Model SC400 VVT-i

They do not bolt directly to the factory system, you will need to have the system
redone. ( In NA I recommend no larger than 2 1/4" )

Costs are as follows.

Mild Steel $570 USD

Stanless Steel $665 USD

Shipping and Handling $160 USD

Amounts are good for 14 days ( Currency fluctuations )

PayPal fee of 3.5% of total transaction.

Allow 2 - 3 weeks for delivery ( Sent on Express Post )

Regards,
Neil Griffiths
Director.

Queanbeyan Auto Tech
Rush Imports www.rushimports.com.au
NRMA Batteries Nth Canberra
The Worksafe Van www.theworksafevan.com.au"
i never emailed them but i looked at them the other day, got uninterested as when i priced it with shipping (wasnt the shipping he gave you) and the 3.5% on paypal he charges it was ALMOST 1k
Old 02-09-10, 10:45 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have personally repaired those headers on a Tundra and I think a Mustang. They suck. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Crappy made over priced header = no one wants to buy them.

I'm sure the economy had something to do with this company going out of business, but I am sure that their reputation for overpriced garbage also had an impact.
Old 02-09-10, 08:13 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by McKrevice
I have personally repaired those headers on a Tundra and I think a Mustang. They suck. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Crappy made over priced header = no one wants to buy them.

I'm sure the economy had something to do with this company going out of business, but I am sure that their reputation for overpriced garbage also had an impact.
Do you ever have anything positive to say

Yes, they are not cheap, but no one else made headers for our cars, so you gotta pay to play, not complain!
Old 02-09-10, 09:33 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Do you ever have anything positive to say

Yes, they are not cheap, but no one else made headers for our cars, so you gotta pay to play, not complain!
Yes I do have positive to say. About S&S headers? Not so much.

What is there positive to say? Sure they were one of the only companies that made them for unique cars, but what good are they if....

They break?

I took straightedges to those headers and I had to take them to a belt sander to take out the rough edges and make them flat due to them not being flush which caused exhaust leaks.

I had to reweld the ones that did crack and if I remember correctly, the welds that came from the factory were not that great.

When I pay good money for something, I'd like the quality to be there. Those headers were not good. I bought some Long Tube BBK's for my Mustang for 240.00. Perfect fit, no leaks, and LT's.

So yes, it does not surprise me that they went out of business. It's a shame seeing anyone go out, but after working on their products, it does not surprise me.
Old 02-10-10, 10:13 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Yes I do have positive to say. About S&S headers? Not so much.

What is there positive to say? Sure they were one of the only companies that made them for unique cars, but what good are they if....

They break?

I took straightedges to those headers and I had to take them to a belt sander to take out the rough edges and make them flat due to them not being flush which caused exhaust leaks.

I had to reweld the ones that did crack and if I remember correctly, the welds that came from the factory were not that great.

When I pay good money for something, I'd like the quality to be there. Those headers were not good. I bought some Long Tube BBK's for my Mustang for 240.00. Perfect fit, no leaks, and LT's.

So yes, it does not surprise me that they went out of business. It's a shame seeing anyone go out, but after working on their products, it does not surprise me.
You seem to be a fairly new member of Club Lexus. I saw your post and found it strange so I went over a number of your previous postings to get an idea of what you have to say and how you say it.

You would seem to have a decent amount of knowledge and therefore the potential to make solid contributions here. I hope that becomes the case.

As far as your opinion of S&S Headers... you are of course entitled to it. To make a statement such as you have based on 2 experiences you had with 2 header sets "a Tundra and I think a Mustang" without giving solid points as too why they "suck" is arguably a poor way of describing you viewpoint(s).

S&S was in business for 40 years and while that alone does not make for a blanket recommendation it does show that someone was doing business with them. One of Loren Barnes former employees branched off and created one of the most respected (if not THE most) header manufacturer... maybe you have heard of Jack Burns of Burns Stainless?

The Lexus headers created by S&S are and were highly effective for their design goal. The first batch used 16 gauge tubing which is heavier than the more typical 18 gauge found in many headers and even then those developed cracks. S&S warrantied every set returned to them at considerable expense and without complaint. Loren redesigned the headers using very strong 14 gauge tubing and I have yet to hear of a failure since. In addition these used 3/8" flanges as well as incorporated merge style collectors in 2 of the 3 collectors for each header. To simply label this product as a "Crappy made over priced header" is shortsighted and possibly uneducated regarding the Lexus applications.

How familiar are you with the S&S Lexus header for which this forum would be specifically interested in? If familiar please feel free to give any critique you wish, hopefully with reasoned points. If unfamiliar you may wish to specify that you are speaking about OTHER S&S products you have had direct experience with and hopefully with details such as brand new or used or whatever.

You can choose to make quick negative comments about whatever but if you want to enrich this community (or any other for that matter) you may consider using your experience and insight to educate and enlighten.
Old 02-10-10, 11:30 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
I have zero experience with headers made by them for any Lexus application. I did mention Toyota, so I am not sure if you are willing to let that count. I have custom made headers for many years. I do not like it due to how difficult and time consuming the R&D is. I do not make them anymore…not that it matters, but I digress.

Like mentioned I have some experience with exhaust systems. I have worked with many companies, and by this, I have used their products, either in my own cars or installed in other people’s cars. I have used BBK, Kooks, JetHot..which I think is Pacesetter, Bassani, and a few other brands I cannot think of off the top of my head. The only other header that sucked to work with was the Pacesetter due to the small area they give you to bolt the headers in.

What really irked me about these particular headers is that they were not perfect to go on either vehicle without some modifications on my end ie, making them flat and true. I learned the hard way and installed them and had to take them off to fix the exhaust leak.

And yes, I did notice that these headers were most of the time, more expensive than most others, not counting custom made headers.

And again, like mentioned, I do remember the welds being extremely sloppy. And after I pulled them off I had to re-weld them, due to looseness or the cracking.

The Mustang was not too bad. They give you enough room to work. The Tundra sucked. And looking at my GS400, having to do headers looks like a huge pain in the ***, but I could be wrong.

I am simply stating, that if I only dealt with them twice, and both had issues, I more likely than not am/was the only one. So it only makes sense. Why would people want to spend money on a product that costs more than most competition, and may require you to do the job more than once? I do realize that they were one of the few companies that made a header for the GS, but unless you are going with a power adder, the amount of HP and torque that you gain is so minimal it almost not even worth it. The only headers I have seen show significant gains are long tubes. And I’m talking 13-20 hp and the same amount of torque. And even then at 600.00+ that’s still a steep price to pay. IMO.

It’s a shame that gears cost so much for the GS. They give a great feel of acceleration without adding any power or torkes.
Old 02-10-10, 05:26 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

So they suck because you think they are difficult to install, AKA, not enough room. Lol...

Also, you can swap gears on the GS at a very cheap price, but what do you know. And by the way; S&S headers have reported gains anywere from 15-20hp. I actually have these headers and can say from actual expirence, after the headers were installed my ET dropped 3/10 of a sec on the 1/8 mil. BTW, can you post links to other companies that sold headers for the GS at a cheaper price like you claim.
Please have actual facts to aid your case next time.
Old 02-10-10, 07:38 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Come on guys no bickering. S&S Headers went out of business due to financial reasons, could be because of a bad product or other reasons it doesnt really matter. I see the points McKrevice is making but theres no need to argue. This biggest problem we have now is no headers for my gs400. So somebody needs to step up and make some for our cars ... Cough Cough and they should learn from s&s mistakes. Just my two cents. Good luck
Old 02-10-10, 10:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

I have zero experience with headers made by them for any Lexus application. I did mention Toyota, so I am not sure if you are willing to let that count. I have custom made headers for many years. I do not like it due to how difficult and time consuming the R&D is. I do not make them anymore…not that it matters, but I digress.
Ok, much more clear. Fair to say that your experience with S&S was less than impressive. My feeling is/was that they were a small specialty shop that had potential, struggled and ultimately failed... similar to MANY if not most specialty shops including more than one that I have seen and one very famous turbo shop that I worked at in 89-90.

A member here contacted me because he knew S&S made Tundra V8 headers and therefore would have some Toyota/Lexus experience. He had read my postings on exhaust design and the desire for Lexus headers. I contacted Loren and after a rather large effort and help from CL members got the project going. Loren built the headers without any money upfront and without a car to build them on. All he had was a set of stock manifolds and heatshields I sent him and my input. The goal was a stock replacement manifold/header that would not hurt low RPM torque while helping peak power. What resulted was no low end loss, strong mid range gains in power and response and 15+rwhp peak gains. As for price they were available uncoated for $400 and with JetHot for $600 which is about the retail price of the JetHot ($200).

Since you had no experience with these particular headers and probably did not read the rather extensive reports about their performance it is understandable that you instead reported your personal experience with other headers. Members here rate the headers the #2 best bang for the buck after the Precision Industries torque converter. I think most are disappointed that they are no longer available. BTW I believe over 100 sets were built and sold.
Old 02-10-10, 10:51 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really? How in the world a set of headers can be such an intense, passionate topic I'll never know.

So S&S is out, good to know. Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-11-10, 07:20 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

So they suck because you think they are difficult to install, AKA, not enough room. Lol...

Also, you can swap gears on the GS at a very cheap price, but what do you know. And by the way; S&S headers have reported gains anywere from 15-20hp. I actually have these headers and can say from actual expirence, after the headers were installed my ET dropped 3/10 of a sec on the 1/8 mil. BTW, can you post links to other companies that sold headers for the GS at a cheaper price like you claim.
Please have actual facts to aid your case next time.
Please see my previous post, read the whole thing, and then realize that everything you just wrote is wrong.

Never said they sucked due to clearance issues. What does suck is spending time putting something in, then having to take it right back out due to the reasons I mentioned.

Show me where you can swap gears for a low price. I can do the labor for free. Please point me in the direction where I can get a diff, the TRD or Supra, brand new, for that good price.

Just because you own these headers doesn't really mean anything other than you own them. I'm not going to get into a debate with you anymore about this. I have been doing this for a long time, used many companies, made my own, and know what is good and what is bad. Not trying to toot my own horn, but what is there left to debate with you. I think they suck, you don't. The End.
Old 02-11-10, 07:37 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There were no other options for Lexus V8 headers for the GS application - S&S and JBrady stepped in and made it happen - I have these headers on my GS430 and they do improve performance. I also happen to think that @ $600 jet hot coated, that the price is reasonable, since there are no other alternatives for the GS4XX. OEM manifolds cost significantly more. Who wants to make me a set of custom headers for $600 that have better quality/function/fit than the S&S headers? I have $$ ready.

I've also had cracking issues with the first set, but the heavier gauged tubing has not had any issues to date ( about 2 years and 38-40k miles later ). I could go into what I believe was the root cause for the passenger side cracking, but since I'm not going to get paid for that ( and that is part of my business ), I'll refrain....

As I stated, give me an alternative, and not some BMW priced custom header!

Quick Reply: No more S&S Headers