Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No more S&S Headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 03:06 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
hmmmm interesting. im getting oem mounts for that price but im sure the aftermarket ones would hold up better.....

i sent him a email. don't think anyone makes aftermarket mounts for the gs430

EDIT: dan emailed me back, noone but oem makes gs mounts he says
Im sure its only a matter of time before someone puts something together. The day they do, I will be selling it
Old 04-09-10, 11:04 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech
Im sure its only a matter of time before someone puts something together. The day they do, I will be selling it
lol, i didnt even know u were a vendor. i just googled u to find you then emailed u....

only a matter of time? lol most the new parts for the gs are done, i mean the youngest 2nd gen is STILL 5 years old.

wish someone did....i need to replace mine, hate to put oem ones in again for them to go out again
Old 04-10-10, 12:01 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again dan.

so i guess your mounts dont look anything like the SC ones. I dont know why they would be any different. same motor, same tranny, i would look into it. the only thing i could think of would be the frame rails in the front being different using a different block mount maybe.
Old 04-10-10, 07:46 AM
Dan@Assaultech
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sakataj
lol, i didnt even know u were a vendor. i just googled u to find you then emailed u....

only a matter of time? lol most the new parts for the gs are done, i mean the youngest 2nd gen is STILL 5 years old.

wish someone did....i need to replace mine, hate to put oem ones in again for them to go out again
We are indeed. Anything else you need be sure to let me know.

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
Thanks again dan.

so i guess your mounts dont look anything like the SC ones. I dont know why they would be any different. same motor, same tranny, i would look into it. the only thing i could think of would be the frame rails in the front being different using a different block mount maybe.
I will look into this, I will check with Megan R&D to see what they say.
Old 04-10-10, 09:39 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks again dan.

Originally Posted by Dan@Assaultech
We are indeed. Anything else you need be sure to let me know.

I will look into this, I will check with Megan R&D to see what they say.
i will check into the oem mounts monday and see if they use the same mount or are identical.... thanks guys for this info and dan i wait megans response. maybe this should go to PM or another thread as this is supposed to be about the S & S headers lol. let me know what u find out
Old 04-10-10, 10:34 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So has anyone gotten these new headers yet I would like to know about how they perform.
Old 04-11-10, 05:44 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

The ones being installed on 5 cars coming up are going to be the S&S headers. You can find plenty of info on here about those. The redesigned ones may be out later this year.
Old 04-11-10, 10:13 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sent my paypal money for my S&S's today, There going on next weekend,man i cant wait. Oh i also installed a set of Torque Master plugs on tue night, damn they really do make a difference. Ive been gasin it all around, playin with my new hp & tq. Also got a set of Megan motor mounts commin in, I was think while im doin the headers, might as well do the mounts, oh & why not timing belt & pulleys too. I think that might be an all day & nighter.
I hope you understand what is needed to install them on your SC400.

Here is the excerpt from my header application guide:

SC400: 1998 – 2000
The S&S Lexus V8 header will physically bolt to the engine HOWEVER these are NOT a direct bolt in with or to the remainder of the stock exhaust. Downpipes must be fabricated from the header outlets. Aftermarket catalysts can be installed in the stock catalyst location when building the downpipes. The stock catalysts can be re-located underneath the car and connected to fabricated downpipes although ground clearance will be less than stock. Aftermarket catalysts can be installed under the car when building the downpipes. Downpipes can be built without any catalyst provision at all. None of the applications are emissions certified. Eliminating the catalysts is a serious infraction and there is minimal power gained in doing so. Catalyst use of some kind is recommended for most applications.
The OEM gaskets and OEM studs and nuts are recommended. S&S Headers are not emissions certified.

For anyone considering installing these on SC400s or LS400s there are many posts on here on the Club Lexus Forums where the installation, power and experience of owners have posted about these headers. It is HIGHLY recommended to SEARCH and READ the related posts on these threads.
Old 04-11-10, 11:15 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbrady
I hope you understand what is needed to install them on your SC400.

Here is the excerpt from my header application guide:

SC400: 1998 – 2000
The S&S Lexus V8 header will physically bolt to the engine HOWEVER these are NOT a direct bolt in with or to the remainder of the stock exhaust. Downpipes must be fabricated from the header outlets. Aftermarket catalysts can be installed in the stock catalyst location when building the downpipes. The stock catalysts can be re-located underneath the car and connected to fabricated downpipes although ground clearance will be less than stock. Aftermarket catalysts can be installed under the car when building the downpipes. Downpipes can be built without any catalyst provision at all. None of the applications are emissions certified. Eliminating the catalysts is a serious infraction and there is minimal power gained in doing so. Catalyst use of some kind is recommended for most applications.
The OEM gaskets and OEM studs and nuts are recommended. S&S Headers are not emissions certified.

For anyone considering installing these on SC400s or LS400s there are many posts on here on the Club Lexus Forums where the installation, power and experience of owners have posted about these headers. It is HIGHLY recommended to SEARCH and READ the related posts on these threads.
OK well i thought these were going to be bolt up, but i guess not, jbrady are you telling me that the stock cats will not bolt up to the header & then i can redo my exhaust to meet up with the bottom of the stock cats?
Old 04-11-10, 03:59 PM
Sexy_Lexy
Driver

i dont know much about GS's but maybe you can find a sc300 vvt-i stock manifold,its a header w/the cat's built in, they flow pretty good.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-12-10, 11:46 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

OK well i thought these were going to be bolt up, but i guess not, jbrady are you telling me that the stock cats will not bolt up to the header & then i can redo my exhaust to meet up with the bottom of the stock cats?
The cats physically bolt on to the headers BUT the flanges are rotated and the cats get pushed down about an 3/4 of an inch. You can probably have the stock cats re-worked to fit by a good craftsman/welder.

Stock 1999 SC400 manifolds are almost identical to earlier SC400s

Stock 1999 SC400 with stock cats bolted to S&S headers, note the headers move the cats downward and outboard.

Note the cat locations compared to the support bracket that bolts under the transmission.

The passenger side lined up with the bracket but was lower by about ¾”.

The drivers side was equally lower and outboard 1” plus and at a different angle.

Old 04-12-10, 01:36 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Man thank you very much for these pic's, i did the search & found scott's set up & the LS400 setup, i was thinkin of goin the LS way by cutting the header but if i can cut the flang off the cat & mod my length & angle there. That would be alot better, i dont wanna hack up my new headers, if i dont have to. I also found out today that the vvt-i doesnt have a egr pipe to mess w/eather, like earlier sc's.
Old 04-15-10, 02:56 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a set. Any still available?
I called and sent an email. No reply yet.
Old 04-16-10, 12:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

so....that sucks don. i guess since i have to replace my tranny/engine mounts and i will already have the engine pulled i will add some headers. SOOOOOO if there is a set still i would also like to know
Old 04-26-10, 01:28 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just contacted Paul from PPE Engineering today in regards to the GS V8 headers. He informed me that they can'not produce new headers until they get a local (Tempe, AZ) to volunteer their GS430 for test fitting/designing.

Anyone interested so that these new headers can be on their way to production?

Quick Reply: No more S&S Headers