Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

0-60 Times?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-10, 11:24 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Rock-a-lex is right. Tires are the most important mod on the car. Who care how good your suspension or how much power your engine has. What's the point of all that if you have crappy cheap tires on? You will only get about 75% of full potential if you have crap tires on. It's the thing that hold to your car to the road, so make sure you don't skimp!
Jeff, I disagree with you here. If you know anything about vehicle dynamics, I assure you that there needs to be a balance between tires and suspension. Tires is what makes your car ahere to the roads, but without proper suspension, you can't properly transfer that power down to the grounds.
Old 02-21-10, 02:09 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I think Jeffs talking about in a striaght line. Of course around the curvys suspension plays a huge role in traction.
Old 02-21-10, 05:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Stock about 5.8-5.9. But 5.4 is no way on stock.
I did find the 5.9 on another website for stock GS400.. that 5.4 i found must have been a misprint.. LOL... Still the GS can get up and move..
Old 02-21-10, 07:43 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Edmunds recorded 5.4 for the 0-60, though my GS 400 is pretty stock and it can't do that.
Old 02-21-10, 08:09 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
I think Jeffs talking about in a striaght line. Of course around the curvys suspension plays a huge role in traction.
It matters in a straight line too. Super stiff suspension doesn't transfer weight, you want weight transfer to the rear than you need to run a somewhat soft (in proportion to the vehicle) setup. Secondly, suspension setup contributes to wheel hop, a car that isn't set up well can get some nasty wheel hop which ruins any chance of a good 60ft.

Secondly, a fresh set of "performance" tires isn't necessarily going to give you the best traction. You will get better traction (in the dry of course) with tires that are worn out. There is a reason slicks have no tread and drag radials have very little tread, a smooth tire is going to give you the best traction so I wouldn't worry too much about spending $$$ on a new set of tires unless you are going with drag radials or something.
Old 02-21-10, 10:48 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
It matters in a straight line too. Super stiff suspension doesn't transfer weight, you want weight transfer to the rear than you need to run a somewhat soft (in proportion to the vehicle) setup. Secondly, suspension setup contributes to wheel hop, a car that isn't set up well can get some nasty wheel hop which ruins any chance of a good 60ft.

Secondly, a fresh set of "performance" tires isn't necessarily going to give you the best traction. You will get better traction (in the dry of course) with tires that are worn out. There is a reason slicks have no tread and drag radials have very little tread, a smooth tire is going to give you the best traction so I wouldn't worry too much about spending $$$ on a new set of tires unless you are going with drag radials or something.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. I guess alot of people have never seen high horsepower cars swat when they launch. It is because these drag cars have alot of positive camber and soft spring rate/dampening to unload the power to the ground. And if they don't follow this rule, then they can say goodbye to drive shaft, axles, rear end when they see wheel hop.
Old 02-21-10, 11:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Jeff, I disagree with you here. If you know anything about vehicle dynamics, I assure you that there needs to be a balance between tires and suspension. Tires is what makes your car ahere to the roads, but without proper suspension, you can't properly transfer that power down to the grounds.
Sorry, I mis-worded my statement. What I was trying to say is that thires are the single most important mod for a already upgraded car. Of course stock setup will probably not see too much of a difference between different tires. Basically, if you have the best suspension in the world and tuned to the tee, and a crazy engine...and a set of walmart $40 special tires, you're probably not going to see the best performance gains

I'm sure everyone knows this, but there have been people out there that I've seen who spend a ton of money on upgrading their suspensions and engines. Then they get some cheap Kumhos, Sunnys, Nankangs, or Nexens. I mean they're OK tires for normal driving, but it won't get anywhere near the full potential of a nicer more expensive set of tires.

Yes, a lot of different tire/suspension combos can factor into all of this. However, at the end of the day...tires are what makes contact with the ground and moves the car.
Old 02-22-10, 05:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, I mis-worded my statement. What I was trying to say is that thires are the single most important mod for a already upgraded car. Of course stock setup will probably not see too much of a difference between different tires. Basically, if you have the best suspension in the world and tuned to the tee, and a crazy engine...and a set of walmart $40 special tires, you're probably not going to see the best performance gains

I'm sure everyone knows this, but there have been people out there that I've seen who spend a ton of money on upgrading their suspensions and engines. Then they get some cheap Kumhos, Sunnys, Nankangs, or Nexens. I mean they're OK tires for normal driving, but it won't get anywhere near the full potential of a nicer more expensive set of tires.

Yes, a lot of different tire/suspension combos can factor into all of this. However, at the end of the day...tires are what makes contact with the ground and moves the car.

Nice info Jeff! A question for you...what is better for a RWD car like ours for optimal launching (assuming you have adjustable coilovers - aside from how hard or soft the suspension is):

-the front suspension being a little lower than the rear? (slightly hot roddish)
-the front and rear suspension being at the same hieght (car level)
-the front suspension being a little higher than the rear? (car squatting)

Do any of the above 3 scenarios matter regarding weight transfer when it comes to launching?
Old 02-22-10, 07:45 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

im going to say suspension is more crucial than tires. you can go out on the best tires you can find, but if you dont have your suspension dialed in, your tires wont hook.

now if your suspension is dialed in, you will hook on whatever tire you put under there (within reason) ive went out and pulled drag radial times, on snow tires, and all seasons....because my suspension was dialed in. suspension before tires. ask any legit racer and they will tell you the same. of my 15 years of drag racing, thats one thing i can say without a doubt.

why is everyone on this forum so caught up in 0-60 times? lol
Old 02-22-10, 08:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
im going to say suspension is more crucial than tires. you can go out on the best tires you can find, but if you dont have your suspension dialed in, your tires wont hook.

now if your suspension is dialed in, you will hook on whatever tire you put under there (within reason) ive went out and pulled drag radial times, on snow tires, and all seasons....because my suspension was dialed in. suspension before tires. ask any legit racer and they will tell you the same. of my 15 years of drag racing, thats one thing i can say without a doubt.

why is everyone on this forum so caught up in 0-60 times? lol
I think some...including myself at times are wrapped up in 0-60 times because I (we) feel that it is a fairly good measurement to see how well our cars fair against others or utilizing the results to see if the addition of a particular mod was worth it or not. Also, a quicker 0-60 mph car makes it more fun to drive around town. Not everyone likes to bring their car up to 120+ mph speeds; I do though...on occassion but NOT how frequent I use to.
Old 02-22-10, 08:56 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

go to the track so you can get accurate, repeatable....USEFULL, information about your cars setup. 0-60 doesnt mean squat because there is no accurate way to measure it. go to the track and work on 60' times and 330' times.

thats all im getting at lol
Old 02-22-10, 11:23 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

This is my biggest gripe with people who mod their cars in general. They go out and dump huge amounts of money on making power and looking nice but what they don't address is how their car is making contact to the ground. I for one will never run Sunnys, nexens, and such because it is a hazard to me personally. These tires do not have the R&D put into them for the type of driving that I do. That is why I rather pay a little more and get something that has been proven time and time again. Yokohama and bridgestone is all I run.
Old 02-22-10, 01:38 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

you should do a search on the tire industry and how they make their tires...you would be suprised that some highly reguarded tire companies, just re-cap old tires and sell them for new. what you THINK you are getting, by going with that brand name tire, may not be true. and ALL tires have to be DOT approved, and thats how they get their ratings....so if your chosing between 2 tires that have the same ratings, they are the same tire,and provide the same performance. what your paying more for is name. which is fine to some...but for others that are more savy, they get the same performance, for far less $$$.
Old 02-22-10, 02:07 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
I think Edmunds recorded 5.4 for the 0-60, though my GS 400 is pretty stock and it can't do that.
I believe thats where i got that 5.4 number from Edmunds.. But accurately its 5.9 i think
Old 02-22-10, 03:49 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
I believe thats where i got that 5.4 number from Edmunds.. But accurately its 5.9 i think
Yeah lol I wish I did 5.4. I will have to wait to get my Torque Converter and LSD and then we will see.

Quick Reply: 0-60 Times?