Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

0-60 Times?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 10:53 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DumpedGS
you should do a search on the tire industry and how they make their tires...you would be suprised that some highly reguarded tire companies, just re-cap old tires and sell them for new. what you THINK you are getting, by going with that brand name tire, may not be true. and ALL tires have to be DOT approved, and thats how they get their ratings....so if your chosing between 2 tires that have the same ratings, they are the same tire,and provide the same performance. what your paying more for is name. which is fine to some...but for others that are more savy, they get the same performance, for far less $$$.
So what you're saying is the Bridgestone RE-11 and the Hankook Ventus RS-2 tires perform the same even though they are both Extreme Performance Summer tires? I can bet you anything that the RE-11 will outperform the RS-2 anyday all factors being the same.
Old 02-23-10, 07:16 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
So what you're saying is the Bridgestone RE-11 and the Hankook Ventus RS-2 tires perform the same even though they are both Extreme Performance Summer tires? I can bet you anything that the RE-11 will outperform the RS-2 anyday all factors being the same.
there are sooooooooo many other variables, how can you accurately say one "performes" better than the other? im better you cant. i would like to know exactly how your going to "test" this....they are rated teh same for a reason...if they performed "better" they would have a "better" rating. ask a seasoned autox guy and they will tell you between 2 similiarly rated tires, there is little to no difference in performance. scca has tire rating limits in certain classes....if one "brand" did better than the other, dont you think they would base their limits off "brand names" instead? similiarly rated tires will give you similiar performance, period.
Old 02-23-10, 10:28 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

there are sooooooooo many other variables, how can you accurately say one "performes" better than the other? im better you cant. i would like to know exactly how your going to "test" this....they are rated teh same for a reason...if they performed "better" they would have a "better" rating. ask a seasoned autox guy and they will tell you between 2 similiarly rated tires, there is little to no difference in performance. scca has tire rating limits in certain classes....if one "brand" did better than the other, dont you think they would base their limits off "brand names" instead? similiarly rated tires will give you similiar performance, period.
Haha.. It's funny that you bring up the seasoned autox guys. Count me in on that along with plenty of friends of mine. Rating is just that rating. It is simply the composition of the tires that make a difference. If you were to take a modified GS with the same tire and driver and equipped them with two sets of tires such as the RE-11 and R-S2 and compare them, you'll see what I mean. I've run countless of tires from Hoosier all the way to cheap Hankook and this is my result. That's why the words "Quality" and "Cheap" don't belong together.
Old 02-23-10, 11:36 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

A seasoned autox guy wouldnt say "a rating is just that a rating" because seasoned autox guys know that the "rating" is what determines what tire you can use in what class. a 140 treadwear tire is much different than a 40 or 0 treadwear rated tire. and SCCA classes are based on those ratings. the rating is derived FROM the composition of the tire....so what you are saying is moot. i stand by what i said, you take 2 tires that are both 140 treadwear with same traction/temp and results will be similiar.

i espescially love the fact that you are comparing 2 tires that dont even have the same ratings....and then claim that the tire with the BETTER rating is better than the tire with the LOWER rating.....well duh.

re-11's 180 A, A
rs-2's 200 AA, A

lower treadwear equals softer compound, softer compound equals better dry traction.

but none of this means squat without the proper suspension setup and alignment. THATS the point.
Old 02-23-10, 06:11 PM
Bovice8710
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to improve my 0-60 time for my 04 gs 300. What is the best way to do so all while spending under a $1000 dollars? Do those Srt intake systems do much
Old 02-23-10, 07:15 PM
Bovice8710
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0-60

What's the best way to improve my 0-60 time on my 04 gs 300 all while spending under a $1000
Old 02-23-10, 08:12 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bovice8710
I really want to improve my 0-60 time for my 04 gs 300. What is the best way to do so all while spending under a $1000 dollars? Do those Srt intake systems do much
Best way on a GS300 would be intake, exhaust and tuning. You could get all them for under $1000 and add some good horsepower!
Old 02-24-10, 06:14 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A seasoned autox guy wouldnt say "a rating is just that a rating" because seasoned autox guys know that the "rating" is what determines what tire you can use in what class. a 140 treadwear tire is much different than a 40 or 0 treadwear rated tire. and SCCA classes are based on those ratings. the rating is derived FROM the composition of the tire....so what you are saying is moot. i stand by what i said, you take 2 tires that are both 140 treadwear with same traction/temp and results will be similiar.

i espescially love the fact that you are comparing 2 tires that dont even have the same ratings....and then claim that the tire with the BETTER rating is better than the tire with the LOWER rating.....well duh.

re-11's 180 A, A
rs-2's 200 AA, A

lower treadwear equals softer compound, softer compound equals better dry traction.

but none of this means squat without the proper suspension setup and alignment. THATS the point.
I thought the RE-11's were also AAA traction rated? Heck, my RE760 sports are AAA traction rated...and I believe the RE-11's are even MORE aggressive.
Old 02-24-10, 07:24 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

that rating is not nearly as important as treadwear rating. treadwear is a direct reflection of the compound the tire is made of. i believe (dont quote me) that the "traction" rating is a reflection of the tread pattern. the treadwear rating is what you need to be concerned with.

my nexens have a AA traction rating, but treadwear of 340. i know these tires have nothing on a 140 treadwear tire, even though both have a AA traction rating.

Last edited by DumpedGS; 02-24-10 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-24-10, 07:29 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

ah, never mind....good info here.

http://www.safercar.gov/portal/site/...8RCRD#traction

"traction" rating is the tires ability to stop in we conditions.
and the highest rating is "AA" there is no AAA.