Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

0-60 Times?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 05:12 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 0-60 Times?

Hey guys. I've been searching around the forums and was curious what 0-60 times you guys are seeing. I know the gs400 isnt a drag car but i was wondering if it was possible to break 5's NA consistently. I know rock a lex posted a 4.76s but wasnt really consistant. Thanks for the input!
Old 01-27-10, 05:21 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's all about traction. I can hit 60mph in my car in the low 4 sec range if I'm on drag radials and that's with some light-moderate wheelspin. On full boost with my 305/30-19 Michelin PS2 street tires, my car spins the tires up till around 120mph. On street tires I actually accelerate faster from 0-120 if I drop the boost down to 20psi vs 30psi lol. At 20psi I spin and finally hook at around 70-80mph. At 30psi with street tires it's pretty much hopeless until after 120+ lol. With drag radials, the situation is much improved and I'm able to run full boost without too much of an issue. Keep in mind, my car is the 2JZ, not the V8.

For the V8, you have a ton of torque down low and that results in very heavy wheelspin if launched hard. Wheelspin is your enemy, if Rockalex put some drag radials on his car then he would have much more consistent times. Also another issue with his car is that I believe he's on the stock transmission(internals wise). The stock trans is hesitant and slow on the shifts. My trans has been race built and my shifts are about 1/10 of a second or so.
Old 01-27-10, 06:18 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Do you think theres anyway a NA gs400 modded could beat a porsche panamera in 0-60 since it runs it in 4.8s? Or would there be too much wheel spin.
Old 01-27-10, 07:25 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Do you think theres anyway a NA gs400 modded could beat a porsche panamera in 0-60 since it runs it in 4.8s? Or would there be too much wheel spin.

No. Not ever.
Old 01-27-10, 07:37 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought with all the power you have JeffTsai, youd be launching in the 3's!!!
Old 01-27-10, 09:31 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

I guess the biggest problem is getting that power too the ground...Wish there was something we could do
Old 01-28-10, 12:39 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EN_VY
I thought with all the power you have JeffTsai, youd be launching in the 3's!!!
I spin quite a bit, even with drag radials but keep in mind I have quite a bit of power. I haven't tried slicks....YET

The GS has is heavy and it's quite a bit of mass to move around. Mine is especially heavy with the system in the trunk(250-300lbs), which I will be removing soon. The current car weight with no driver and a full tank of fuel is 4050lbs(weighed on highly accurate digital scale). I'm hoping to drop it down to a more reasonable 3600lbs after I do some weight reduction and removal of the system.

If I had one to tinker with and a healthy budget to spend on it. I'm pretty confident I can make it beat a Panamera. Keep in mind, my budget in mind is around $10k lol. This includes AEM EMS standalone, upgrade all cams to higher profile, build bottom end to rev higher, and race build the transmission. The car will rev to 8000rpm through a race built auto trans with custom high stall TC. I think it would be a monster and easily put down over 450hp in NA form. FYI: The $10k is what I would spend in parts and custom machining work. Labor not counted because this would hypothetically be my own car lol.

I guess the biggest problem is getting that power too the ground...Wish there was something we could do
Yes, run drag radials. Of course it's not practical for the streets, but if you want every advantage you can get when racing at the track. You're racing at the track right?
Old 01-28-10, 11:06 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need a bigger VTEC.
maybe if you can tune the NOS timing you'll hit 9s.

...wait, what?
Old 01-29-10, 06:35 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, aside from getting drag radials you could get appropriately sized rear wheels and tires and run lower air pressure in them. This would/should be sufficient for a modded NA GS4XX.

In my situation where I have been doing my latest testing I have had my stock 225's on oem 16" wheels with about 40psi in them...lol for better gas mileage. However, not so good for traction purposes. I have yet to relieve pressure and re-do my testing to see if it helps any; I will do this soon.

What I really can't wait for is test with my 275's on 19" forged wheels; my spring/summer setup. It WILL make my times much better and more consistant but I did only get 275/30's...where I should have really bought 275/35's with the thicker sidewall...they are still very low profile and sporty but are a good amount thicker than my current 275's. I realized shortly after I bought them that they were a bit too thin to achieve great traction and running them with 40-42psi didn't help either.

My goal when I put them (275's) back on again come April is to run them at 35psi and do some more G-Tech testing...I BET I will run low 5's 0-60mph consistantly - no problem. If I am still getting excessive wheelspin I will look to buy a set of rear 275/35's. Then my two (practically brand new) 275/30 rears will be up for sale shortly thereafter.
Old 02-11-10, 04:22 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, aside from getting drag radials you could get appropriately sized rear wheels and tires and run lower air pressure in them. This would/should be sufficient for a modded NA GS4XX.

In my situation where I have been doing my latest testing I have had my stock 225's on oem 16" wheels with about 40psi in them...lol for better gas mileage. However, not so good for traction purposes. I have yet to relieve pressure and re-do my testing to see if it helps any; I will do this soon.

What I really can't wait for is test with my 275's on 19" forged wheels; my spring/summer setup. It WILL make my times much better and more consistant but I did only get 275/30's...where I should have really bought 275/35's with the thicker sidewall...they are still very low profile and sporty but are a good amount thicker than my current 275's. I realized shortly after I bought them that they were a bit too thin to achieve great traction and running them with 40-42psi didn't help either.

My goal when I put them (275's) back on again come April is to run them at 35psi and do some more G-Tech testing...I BET I will run low 5's 0-60mph consistantly - no problem. If I am still getting excessive wheelspin I will look to buy a set of rear 275/35's. Then my two (practically brand new) 275/30 rears will be up for sale shortly thereafter.

Rock, Do you have any mods you plan to do in the future besides these tires. If they count as a mod...
Old 02-11-10, 08:10 PM
DarrellGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's all about traction. I can hit 60mph in my car in the low 4 sec range if I'm on drag radials and that's with some light-moderate wheelspin. On full boost with my 305/30-19 Michelin PS2 street tires, my car spins the tires up till around 120mph. On street tires I actually accelerate faster from 0-120 if I drop the boost down to 20psi vs 30psi lol. At 20psi I spin and finally hook at around 70-80mph. At 30psi with street tires it's pretty much hopeless until after 120+ lol. With drag radials, the situation is much improved and I'm able to run full boost without too much of an issue. Keep in mind, my car is the 2JZ, not the V8.

For the V8, you have a ton of torque down low and that results in very heavy wheelspin if launched hard. Wheelspin is your enemy, if Rockalex put some drag radials on his car then he would have much more consistent times. Also another issue with his car is that I believe he's on the stock transmission(internals wise). The stock trans is hesitant and slow on the shifts. My trans has been race built and my shifts are about 1/10 of a second or so.
Dang Jeff!!!

You, and you alone, make me want to sell my GS400 and get a GS300. Of course I would then need a budget and the know how to do a bunch of modding.
Old 02-12-10, 05:28 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Rock, Do you have any mods you plan to do in the future besides these tires. If they count as a mod...
IMHO "performance" tires ARE a mod! Many forget the basics and mod just for power...there is still suspension AND tires in the mix which BOTH help with traction when setup properly. I have rear on these forums with MANY different models IS350's, GS350's, GS4XX where people would change tires to a different brand and go a little wider and it is a WORLD of a difference with how the car accelerated and handles.

However, the above needs to be addressed ONLY if your CURRENT setup is failing you in the traction department...such as in my case.
Old 02-12-10, 11:46 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Hey guys. I've been searching around the forums and was curious what 0-60 times you guys are seeing. I know the gs400 isnt a drag car but i was wondering if it was possible to break 5's NA consistently. I know rock a lex posted a 4.76s but wasnt really consistant. Thanks for the input!
stock GS4 is 5.4 0-60.. Not bad considering the weight of the car.. Rock has some great mods to put him in the high 4's..
Old 02-20-10, 03:04 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
stock GS4 is 5.4 0-60.. Not bad considering the weight of the car.. Rock has some great mods to put him in the high 4's..
Stock about 5.8-5.9. But 5.4 is no way on stock.
Old 02-21-10, 09:50 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Rock-a-lex is right. Tires are the most important mod on the car. Who care how good your suspension or how much power your engine has. What's the point of all that if you have crappy cheap tires on? You will only get about 75% of full potential if you have crap tires on. It's the thing that hold to your car to the road, so make sure you don't skimp!

Quick Reply: 0-60 Times?